Few questions from a newbie

Forums: Few questions from a newbie
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Few questions from a newbie

Postby KleanZlate » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:57 pm

KleanZlate Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:57 pm
I got the Octane plugin yesterday and I'm really loving it! It's like a dream come true for an old Poser user. I have a few questions however after doing some tests.

First regarding skin materials:

1. Is there a good way to use a procedural texture for bump mapping? Can I use control maps to control bump strength?
2. I've created an SSS material from Paul's directions (on his homepage) and I sometimes get red dots in shadows when rendering SSS. Is there a render setting I can adjust to get rid of them or do I need to adjust the size in the scatter settings?
3. A lot of Poser skin textures are yellowish. Is there a way to correct the color in Octane's material settings?
4. I've installed Nvidia's Normal Map filter for Photoshop. Can I use it to create normal maps for Octane? What do I need look out for when using normal maps in Octane?

One of question about the plugin itself.

1. When I render the Poser process pretty much takes over my computer. Is there a way to force the plugin to lower it's process? (I've tried to lower Poser's process in task manager and it doesn't do much)

EDIT: I sometimes get this error when opening the plugin:

Cuda error: CUDA device 0: Failed to bind device to thread, since it's already bound (refer to cuda.log for details)

Any idea what it means?

That's it for now :) Thanks for any and all replies.
Windows 8 64bit, Intel Xeon 3.4 GHz x2, 10GB RAM, GTX 660 Ti 2GB, Poser Pro 2012 SR 3.1
KleanZlate
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Few questions from a newbie

Postby Pandarr » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Pandarr Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:35 pm
KleanZlate wrote:1. When I render the Poser process pretty much takes over my computer. Is there a way to force the plugin to lower it's process? (I've tried to lower Poser's process in task manager and it doesn't do much)

Cuda error: CUDA device 0: Failed to bind device to thread, since it's already bound (refer to cuda.log for details)

Any idea what it means?

I'm a newbie too. Let's be newbies together!

I've read that in a future version there will be the ability to have Octane not use 100% of your GPU. In the FAQ it also mentions to use your on board video card for display and your powerful video card for rendering. You'd need to connect the cable to the on board card which isn't ideal for everybody though. See #9 in the FAQ.

The error I think generally means that the device is in use (likely from your last render and it didn't release it for some reason). The way I've fixed it is to close the Octane plugin and reopen it. This has always fixed it on the first go for me.

I can't help you with the rest because I don't know the answers to those.
Pandarr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby KleanZlate » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:21 pm

KleanZlate Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:21 pm
Pandarr wrote:
KleanZlate wrote:1. When I render the Poser process pretty much takes over my computer. Is there a way to force the plugin to lower it's process? (I've tried to lower Poser's process in task manager and it doesn't do much)

Any idea what it means?

I'm a newbie too. Let's be newbies together!

I've read that in a future version there will be the ability to have Octane not use 100% of your GPU. In the FAQ it also mentions to use your on board video card for display and your powerful video card for rendering. You'd need to connect the cable to the on board card which isn't ideal for everybody though. See #9 in the FAQ.

The error I think generally means that the device is in use (likely from your last render and it didn't release it for some reason). The way I've fixed it is to close the Octane plugin and reopen it. This has always fixed it on the first go for me.

I can't help you with the rest because I don't know the answers to those.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know about the future update. Hopefully it'll come soon. The error isn't too horrible. It only happens when starting the plugin. When I try it again it works.
Windows 8 64bit, Intel Xeon 3.4 GHz x2, 10GB RAM, GTX 660 Ti 2GB, Poser Pro 2012 SR 3.1
KleanZlate
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:35 pm

wimvdb Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:35 pm
KleanZlate wrote:I got the Octane plugin yesterday and I'm really loving it! It's like a dream come true for an old Poser user. I have a few questions however after doing some tests.

First regarding skin materials:

1. Is there a good way to use a procedural texture for bump mapping? Can I use control maps to control bump strength?
2. I've created an SSS material from Paul's directions (on his homepage) and I sometimes get red dots in shadows when rendering SSS. Is there a render setting I can adjust to get rid of them or do I need to adjust the size in the scatter settings?
3. A lot of Poser skin textures are yellowish. Is there a way to correct the color in Octane's material settings?
4. I've installed Nvidia's Normal Map filter for Photoshop. Can I use it to create normal maps for Octane? What do I need look out for when using normal maps in Octane?

One of question about the plugin itself.

1. When I render the Poser process pretty much takes over my computer. Is there a way to force the plugin to lower it's process? (I've tried to lower Poser's process in task manager and it doesn't do much)

Any idea what it means?

That's it for now :) Thanks for any and all replies.

I have some answers
1) Octane has some procedurals. You can change to node to one of them.
You can control the strength with control maps or with the procudurals. You can control the strength by applying a image or floatimage to the power node
2) There are two ways to control the red dots - one is turn on hot pixels - it will remove most and sometimes all of them and you can add some caustic blur to the kernel options - this will reduce the number of red pixels as well.
From my experience it is best NOT to have small light emitters - they cause the most red pixels. I often create a new light emitter of a reasonable size (poser single sided plane) and set the opacity to 0 remove the from camera view or reflections. This renders faster and has fewer red pixels
3) Many skin sets in Poser use a color correction (often very light blue) to the skin diffuse node. You can correct the color by changing this color node. (if it does not exist, create a multiply node and set texture1 to the original and set texture2 to the color you want to correct it with)
4) Can't help you there

There is a cuda log in users/yourname/Appdata/local/Temp/PoserPro/9 and is called cuda.log. There is a octaneplugin.log as well to give which may give more info

Regarding the UI lag with a single card. May I HIGHLY recommend adding another videocard (could be a cheap one) to your setup. It will be a world of difference. Not only in UI speed, but you will also have 500-700MB more VRAM at your disposal in Octane
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby KleanZlate » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:46 pm

KleanZlate Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:46 pm
Thank you for the reply wimvdb. I'm testing bigger emitters now and they seem to do the trick. As for the video cards I still have my old GT9800 card but I always thought I could only have card at a time. I don't how to set things up so one card is used for apps while the other is use for the OS. I'll need to look into that.
KleanZlate
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:05 pm

wimvdb Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:05 pm
KleanZlate wrote:Thank you for the reply wimvdb. I'm testing bigger emitters now and they seem to do the trick. As for the video cards I still have my old GT9800 card but I always thought I could only have card at a time. I don't how to set things up so one card is used for apps while the other is use for the OS. I'll need to look into that.

Yes, if the red dots start to appear I usually change the emitter size or add one extra.

Videocards: That is extremely easy - Just add the card and connect the monitor to that card. That's it.
It has a drawback however: The OS uses that one - which is OK, but the other software too - unless they are GPU enabled.
I use a GTX580 as my primary card and use my GTX680 for GPU rendering and that works extremly well
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby KleanZlate » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:29 pm

KleanZlate Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:29 pm
wimvdb wrote:
KleanZlate wrote:Thank you for the reply wimvdb. I'm testing bigger emitters now and they seem to do the trick. As for the video cards I still have my old GT9800 card but I always thought I could only have card at a time. I don't how to set things up so one card is used for apps while the other is use for the OS. I'll need to look into that.

Yes, if the red dots start to appear I usually change the emitter size or add one extra.

Videocards: That is extremely easy - Just add the card and connect the monitor to that card. That's it.
It has a drawback however: The OS uses that one - which is OK, but the other software too - unless they are GPU enabled.
I use a GTX580 as my primary card and use my GTX680 for GPU rendering and that works extremly well

I play video games so that might not work too well for me although I guess I could just move the monitor cable to my 660 card when playing...?
KleanZlate
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:09 pm

face_off Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:09 pm
In addition to Wims comments - Turbulence and Marble with a scale somewhere in the 30 range work very well. You can add a map the the power node.

As per Wims comments. The hot_pixel removal is at maximum when set to 0. Plus you can add some kernel->caustic_blur. For some additional SSS tips - pls see http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30193

The default skin shader from the plugin contains a multiply node for the diffuse texturemap ("[Material]=glossy"->"diffuse = multiply"->"texture2 = Color"), so you can adjust the skin tone there ("texture2").

Normal maps give an amazing results (see my head test in the SSS thread). But I haven't used the Photoshop filter. If you create a normal map, plug it into the "normal" pin of the diffuse node.

I haven't seen this error before, but it looks like another process is already using the Cuda part of the card. I can render with the Poser plugin and Octane render at the same time - so I don't think it's another Octane process. If you can provide the complete cuda.log (Poser temp folder) output I'll check it out.

I play video games so that might not work too well for me although I guess I could just move the monitor cable to my 660 card when playing...?
It depends on your motherboard. Some motherboards have some neat technology to let you select the output device from Windows. Others (like mine) you need to swap the cable. Might need a reboot - not sure.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Witpapier » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:15 pm

Witpapier Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:15 pm
For all you Noobies :) All this sss skin material presets and so on ... Ive been at work with it for quite a few months now.. Ive uploaded pics to show my node structure, but to save you all the trouble I will share my complete body .POC files that you just import to V4 and from there you can fine tune to your liking. I use Drop Box https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ry8qa0c79aylsld/LpUplu5e93 :) :) :)
Attachments
SSS 2013-3-17 Face render.jpg
New SSS REDZ.jpg
SSS naked 15-03-2013.jpg
Excuse the nakedness, I asume we are all adults here, Paul please let me know If I should remove it, Its to show the skin effect
SSS Skin.jpg
RedSpec TGX for Poser / OctaneRender - OUT NOW visit http://redspec-sss.com/
Witpapier
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Erick » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:10 pm

Erick Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:10 pm
Oooh, Thank you, Witpapier!
That's very generous of you.
Much appreciated.
I cannot wait to play with 'em :)