Color not transferring to Octane

Forums: Color not transferring to Octane
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Color not transferring to Octane

Postby Pandarr » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:30 pm

Pandarr Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:30 pm
I've no doubt the main reason for this is my ignorance of the material room both in Poser and Octane. But certain items in my library have black/white textures and then apply a diffuse color to them in Poser. This works fine in Poser but when they are brought into Octane the color is either not brought over or appears to be brought over but doesn't work for whatever reason. I recognize this is most likely due to their not being a perfect 1:1 conversion between Poser and Octane but am unsure how to fix it in order to stop having white objects.

Here is an item rendered in both Poser and Octane.

Octane-Nocolor.jpg

Poser-Color.jpg
Poser-Color.jpg (3.74 KiB) Viewed 2695 times

Here are the settings from each.

OctaneSettings.jpg

PoserSettings.jpg

I don't need everything to match 100% mostly because I'm just looking for a general fix, not a fix for this particular item.

Thanks for your time.
Pandarr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Color not transferring to Octane

Postby wimvdb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:14 pm

wimvdb Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:14 pm
The color is defined in the edge blend node in Poser. Octane does not have that type of node.
Easiest thing to do here, is to bring the red color back and then afterwards adjust if you wan to.
What you need to do in the plugin is
- copy the diffuse node to the clipboard (right click, copy Image)
- change the diffuse type to multiply
- now paste back the image in texture1
- now change texture2 to RGBSpectrum and set the color to the same as one of the colors in the edge blend node in Poser (the red colors). You can do that easily by clicking on the color itself, then choose Pick color and then select the color in the poser material by moving the mouse over that color, then press space to lock the color and then press OK

Now you have something similar to what you have in Poser
Next thing to do is to play with the specular settings (change color and roughness) to match the output of the poser render. This really depends on the actual poser nodes.

Hope this helps
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:09 pm

face_off Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:09 pm
Wim perfectly explained the issue. Any colors etc hiding behind an edge_blend will not be converted. At some point in the future I will look to addressing this in the plugin.

Once you get the new Octane material right - save it for future use (by Exporting), and you can save it back to the Poser material too and save as a MAT pose for future use.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Pandarr » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Pandarr Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:12 pm
wimvdb wrote:Hope this helps

It did! Thank you very much. I was also able to apply this on a few other trouble pieces. One item that I applied this to also had a specular node set to a floatimage that was for some reason preventing the color coming through. I changed the specular node to floattexture 0.05 and the color worked there as well.
Pandarr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:33 pm

wimvdb Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:33 pm
For the specular maps
You can lower the value of the specular map to a power lower than 1 (you may need to check the invert box, don't remember) This will lower the strength of the specular map. you could also use a multiple node as well (multiply by a dark color of grey)
Posers specular handling is completely different to Octanes handling of specular. In octane it not only drives the light reflection, but also the material reflection = which is more natural but completely different from Poser/Firefly). and when too high (white) it starts to act as a mirror reflecting the sky making it very bright

Once you are used to the way Octane handles materials, it is usually a simple thing to change.
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Poser