OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.02s [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.02s [OBSOLETE]
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.02s [TEST]

Postby ch0pper » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:59 pm

ch0pper Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:59 pm
Think I found a possible bug today whilst rendering. If you minimise the render, window and then
come back to it may be a few minutes later. It will reset the render can back to 0 and your render
was start from scratch again . I lost five hours of rendering time today because of it.

You're fine. If you leave the window as it is rendering full-size. But if you minimise it. This is where the bug seems to to start.

I have two graphics cards gts 450 and gtx 6600TI , the GTX does the main work and the 450 just sits in the background so I can do other things
W7 64 bit |I7-3970X | GTX 780 X2(6GB) GTX 780TI X2 | 64 GB DDR3 RAM
Real Skin & real hair for Poser / DAZ Studio OctaneRender/iray - coming soon
ch0pper
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:50 pm

face_off Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:50 pm
Think I found a possible bug today whilst rendering. If you minimise the render, window and then
come back to it may be a few minutes later. It will reset the render can back to 0 and your render
was start from scratch again . I lost five hours of rendering time today because of it.

You're fine. If you leave the window as it is rendering full-size. But if you minimise it. This is where the bug seems to to start.

I have two graphics cards gts 450 and gtx 6600TI , the GTX does the main work and the 450 just sits in the background so I can do other things

I will check this out. In the meantime, I suggest a) use progressive save - it's designed to save you from this situation, and b) you can activate the "No Updates" button, and that will lock out any changes that might restart the render.

EDIT: I wonder if you accidentally clicked on the Viewport after it restored, caused the focus pick to change the focus? I am changing how this works in the next version, and there will be a Focus Pick button you need to click first to pick the focus. And there are some other features to be built in....

EDIT2: The render is restarting for me too when I restore the viewport. I will fix this in the next day or so.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:44 am

face_off Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:44 am
Earlier today I updated the 1.02s installer to fix the render restarting issue when restoring a minimised window. I also fixed a couple of other minor issues relating to closing a minimised window (was restoring to a different size), and activating/deactivating resolution locking.

Please re-download and install the installer from the link at the top of this thread.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Ken1171 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:28 pm

Ken1171 Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:28 pm
Hi Paul,
I am having an issue with the plugin "forgetting" my license registration every time I run a Windows files clean-up. This happens because the plugin stores log data at a temporary Windows folder that gets wiped out. I came to this conclusion based on the error message I get (see below):

An errror occurred importing addon OctaneRender for Poser :
ERROR: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'C:\\Users\\Ken\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\Poser Pro\\9\\octaneplugin.log'

When I checked it out, the "user/AppData/Local/Temp" folder always gets included in Windows' files clean-up sessions, and whenever this log file gets deleted, my Octane license goes away with it. Maybe it would be a good idea to store data in a less volatile location?
Ken1171
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:22 pm

face_off Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:22 pm
When I checked it out, the "user/AppData/Local/Temp" folder always gets included in Windows' files clean-up sessions, and whenever this log file gets deleted, my Octane license goes away with it. Maybe it would be a good idea to store data in a less volatile location?

Hi Ken - very good point. I will change this to the Poser "Preferences" folder. The default location for exported materials, and the LiveDB texturemap cache probably need to change too. I will need to release this as 1.02r, since it is such a major change, people will need to understand the specifics of the change.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Ken1171 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:23 pm

Ken1171 Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:23 pm
face_off wrote:Hi Ken - very good point. I will change this to the Poser "Preferences" folder. The default location for exported materials, and the LiveDB texturemap cache probably need to change too. I will need to release this as 1.02r, since it is such a major change, people will need to understand the specifics of the change.

I understand LiveDB is storing materials used by scenes at a local folder? Is there an option to keep ALL the LiveDB materials local, so we don't have to wait until it downloads them when editing materials? Even though I have cable broadband, I noticed the mouse-over previews still get sluggish because they have to access the materials remotely. I would prefer to access them locally for the sake of performance. How large is this package?

BTW, wouldn't the next version be 1.02t?
Ken1171
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:38 pm

face_off Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:38 pm
I understand LiveDB is storing materials used by scenes at a local folder? Is there an option to keep ALL the LiveDB materials local, so we don't have to wait until it downloads them when editing materials? Even though I have cable broadband, I noticed the mouse-over previews still get sluggish because they have to access the materials remotely. I would prefer to access them locally for the sake of performance. How large is this package?

When you mouse-over, it loads the preview into memory, and then if you re-mouse-over, it pulls the preview from memory. There is no easy way to download all the LiveDB to your PC, since a) if would take too long, and b) it wouldn't be Live :-) In theory the plugin could be enhanced to download each LiveDB material into Poser plugin import/export format, but you would need to download the whole liveDB regularly, and it would take a long time. I have noticed the LiveDB performance has improved dramatically in the past month (potentially due to Otoy increasing bandwidth).

Also, if you load a LiveDB material in the Poser plugin, then export it (or save the Poser scene), the Octane nodes will be referencing the texturemaps in the LiveDB download cache area - so it is important these are not deleted, so that's why they need to go into the Preferences area rather than the current Temp folder.

BTW, wouldn't the next version be 1.02t?

Yes - my error. In fact, hopefully 1.11t.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.02s [CURRENT]

Postby face_off » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:14 am

face_off Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:14 am
New version is up - pls see [url]render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=29153&p=127404[/url].

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Ken1171 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:47 pm

Ken1171 Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:47 pm
I love the ability to copy a shader change to all SKIN materials, but it becomes a nuisance when it also overwrites the LIP material, which is not skin and uses a different shader. Would it be possible to remove the LIP material from what is considered "skin" in the Octane plugin? I would greatly appreciate that! ^____^

Also, whenever I run out of texture map slots (CUDA limitation), is there an easier way to find where the specific grayscale maps are? The plugin complains when it happens, but doesn't help me locate where they are, so I can decide which ones have to go...
Ken1171
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:11 pm

wimvdb Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:11 pm
I think you can remove the lips in the plugin configuration file (remove it from the list). It is usually the same textures are used and often it is just a small adaptation (if at all). So removing it from the plugin would not be a good idea for everyone

The Scene Texture Counter script in the Octane plugin scripts for Poser tells you where and which bump maps are used. That is a good start
Other thing you have to watch out for is "double" use of textures. If the same map is connected to the diffuse and the bump map channels, two maps are created: Image and Float_Image. Copy the Image node into the Float_Image node and you save a slot (you have to do that for all references before it becomes free)
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Poser