Wish list for next plugin release

Forums: Wish list for next plugin release
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: Wish list for next plugin release

Postby orion_uk » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:25 pm

orion_uk Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:25 pm
My understanding is that the ability to seemly work with one card whilst rendering is potentially only a matter of a few weeks away - so in the meantime - use the pause when doing serious navigation, etc.

Thats great news, thank you :)

I just checked - click the resolution lock button and the sliders appear in the Settings tree under "resolution"

Dont you just hate it when its staring you smack in the face, thanks for pointing us both in the right direction :P

Ummmm, this is possibly due to a change I made to fix the "render not starting - blank viewport" issue. I would be interested to see if it happens to anyone else, or to you again. If it happens, pls send me the octaneplugin.log file.

Sure no problem, be glad to help (esp as you have been so helpful) will keep you updated.

Quote:
The viewport output goes purple or the plugin crashes with various error messages.

Can you provide more details on the error pls? When it happens, send me the cuda.log file (from the Poser temp folder). One thing I've found is that sometimes a card is faulty (happened to me) - and it's only when rendering via Octane that the fault becomes apparent - so that could be the issue. In general, if you are getting a cuda error other "out of memory", its a card fault. What is the compute level on the card (displayed int he plugin in the Cuda Devices tab). Something else to try.......install Octane standalone on the laptop, add a diffuse material, click the diffuse material, pause the render. Now run Poser and the plugin. What that does is keep the card "active", so voltages, clocks etc are at full operating levels even whilst the Poser plugin is not rendering.

What is the compute level on the card (displayed int he plugin in the Cuda Devices tab)

Compute level 1.2 on my laptop and 2.1 on my desktop.

Something else to try.......install Octane standalone on the laptop, add a diffuse material, click the diffuse material, pause the render. Now run Poser and the plugin. What that does is keep the card "active", so voltages, clocks etc are at full operating levels even whilst the Poser plugin is not rendering

Need to go to bed now, up early with the kids so will look in to this tomorrow afternoon, thanks :)

Please see attached image regarding viewport being purple/pink..

Cuda.log only has two entrys:

Opening OctaneRender for Poser Setup Dialog
Closing OctaneRender for Poser Setup Dialog
-------------------------------------------

I have attached octaneplugin.log for you also.

This looks hardware/OS related. Are you montoring your graphics card temperature? When rendering animations the temp might be increasing too much. Use TechPowerup GPU-Z (freebie app) to assess what is happening here.

Thanks, will download it in the morning and see what happens ;)

As a rule (and pls excuse me if this comment sounds harsh), whilst Octane has been tested and runs well on pre 500 series cards, the vast majority of users are on GTX 500 and 600 series cards and experience none of the problems you are having.

I don't have any issues rendering with Octane Render stand alone version, Blender, Carrara, Poser built in renderers, Daz studio, 3D Studio Max, Bryce or Iclone ????

So whilst, it /should/ run fine on your GTX 460 - the actual physical card is old, has had many more hours of use than newer cards, may or may not be physically robust. The memory may have an intermittent fault. There is just so much more that can go wrong with older cards, because.....they are older. Add to this Windows using the same card as it's display adapter, and I think you are getting a much poorer experience that those users with newer equipment.

So now I need to go out and buy either a new system (no chance now, im skint) or I need to save for a new card thats atleast a GTX 500-600... DARN, that sucks! :/

I think what I'm trying to say is....you've spent a lot of money on software, but your hardware is lacking!

OUCH! While I did not take offence to your final comment, it did hurt :P
I only brought both systems 12 months ago (brand new and direct from HP & Sony websites) at a grand total of close to £4000 (GBP)... surely at those prices for what (at the time) was the highest spec systems I could find online (did not like alienware and could not afford much else! ) I only got this due to an insurance payout that I waited 3 yrs for from a motorbike accident, anyway... Surely the cards cant be THAT knackered/out dated already!!!

UPDATE: Cant seem to attach the log files to this post, forum rules I guess as I get a message saying `The extension txt is not allowed`, same for .log files :(
Attachments
texture limit maybe.PNG
Last edited by orion_uk on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
http://www.Neil-Isted.com
Intel i7 870/2.93 GHz
RAM 16GB
1x Titan (6GB)
2x GTX 660Ti 2GB
Win10 Pro 64-bit
Carrara 8.5 Pro
Carrara - OR4C
OctaneRender™ for Blender
Ds pro
OR Standalone V4
Poser Plugin
orion_uk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:50 pm

face_off Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:50 pm
Please see attached image regarding viewport being purple/pink..

Cuda.log only has two entrys:

Opening OctaneRender for Poser Setup Dialog
Closing OctaneRender for Poser Setup Dialog

Ah ok - that one is easy - you have too many texturemaps in the scene. Way too many! There are 176 color texturemaps in the scene (Stonemason's I'm guessing) and your card has capacity for 64. 600 series cards will do 144. Use the Scene Texture Counter script (see the plugin manual) to get an analysis of where they are being used. Make part of the scene that outside camera view invisible to use less maps. But getting a full stonemason scene into a pre 600 series card will be a lot of work - simply because there is so much scene.

I only brought both systems 12 months ago (brand new and direct from HP & Sony websites) at a grand total of close to £4000 (GBP)... surely at those prices for what (at the time) was the highest spec systems I could find online (did not like alienware and could not afford much else! ) I only got this due to an insurance payout that I waited 3 yrs for from a motorbike accident, anyway... Surely the cards cant be THAT knackered/out dated already!!!

Well I'm not expert on this - but the 500 series cards started shipping well more than 12 months ago, and you can't even buy them now, so to get a GTX 460 12 months ago would have been very old stock (and would be considered nothing like "high spec" - they were probably < $100 then). Based on the age of the card, my recommendation would be to see how the new card sharing feature of the next version of Octane works out. Or grab a GTX 650Ti (they are the bottom of the range current card - about $150 in Australia). Do not get a 500 series card - not enough texturemap slots for Poser.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby orion_uk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:17 am

orion_uk Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:17 am
Ah ok - that one is easy - you have too many texturemaps in the scene. Way too many! There are 176 color texturemaps in the scene (Stonemason's I'm guessing) and your card has capacity for 64. 600 series cards will do 144. Use the Scene Texture Counter script (see the plugin manual) to get an analysis of where they are being used. Make part of the scene that outside camera view invisible to use less maps. But getting a full stonemason scene into a pre 600 series card will be a lot of work - simply because there is so much scene.

This is relating to my Laptops graphics card: Geforce GT 330m, your totally right there... the scene renders fine on my desktop with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 but I get what you mean and plan to upgrade the desktops card ;)

Well I'm not expert on this - but the 500 series cards started shipping well more than 12 months ago, and you can't even buy them now, so to get a GTX 460 12 months ago would have been very old stock (and would be considered nothing like "high spec" - they were probably < $100 then). Based on the age of the card, my recommendation would be to see how the new card sharing feature of the next version of Octane works out. Or grab a GTX 650Ti (they are the bottom of the range current card - about $150 in Australia). Do not get a 500 series card - not enough texturemap slots for Poser.

Well my brother knows less than me then (and that's saying something :P ) as I chose a selection of computers online and he told me that the two that I did buy (under his direction) was the best around for rendering :(

So a GTX 650Ti is at the bottom, whats in the middle and at the top? I get so confused at what to look for on the box when choosing graphics cards!

Note to self: read up on graphics cards for awesome rendering speeds and quality tomorrow..

Looks like I will be spending a lot of time with our faithful friend google :P

Anyway, Thank you so much for all the time and effort you have put in to helping me understand all of this :D V-kind of you and I am most grateful indeed ;)

I cant afford a new computer now that I have children and I am off work due to physical injury so I will have to wait a while and save up for a good graphics card (or as best as I can afford) and see where that takes me! Think I will spend tomorrow night giving my desktop a little TLC and see if I can help it stay on its `last legs` for a little while longer. Maybe open the case and clean the fans as well as a system check/scan etc :P

Best of luck with your future projects and thanks for all your hard work here and with the Poser plugin :D
Intel i7 870/2.93 GHz
RAM 16GB
1x Titan (6GB)
2x GTX 660Ti 2GB
Win10 Pro 64-bit
Carrara 8.5 Pro
Carrara - OR4C
Ds pro
OR Standalone V4
Poser Plugin
orion_uk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:32 am

face_off Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:32 am
This is relating to my Laptops graphics card: Geforce GT 330m, your totally right there... the scene renders fine on my desktop with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 but I get what you mean and plan to upgrade the desktops card ;)

I am not absolutely certain about this, but I think the desktop is actually not rendering the scene fine (it will be running out of texturemaps too), but due to a different compute model on the card, or different Cuda drivers, I suspect the desktop is not reporting the cuda error whereas the laptop is.

So a GTX 650Ti is at the bottom, whats in the middle and at the top? I get so confused at what to look for on the box when choosing graphics cards!

650 and 660 at the bottom, 670 & 680 midrange (but awesome!) and 690 and titan are top of the range. Spend hours on this forum reading - there is a heap of info and benchmarks on the different cards.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby orion_uk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:36 am

orion_uk Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:36 am
Thank you Paul :D
Intel i7 870/2.93 GHz
RAM 16GB
1x Titan (6GB)
2x GTX 660Ti 2GB
Win10 Pro 64-bit
Carrara 8.5 Pro
Carrara - OR4C
Ds pro
OR Standalone V4
Poser Plugin
orion_uk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby orion_uk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:23 pm

orion_uk Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:23 pm
I am looking at this but will wait on buying it until I have read up a bit more and spoken to a few people..

I cant find any info on texture limits in the product info tho! (EDIT: Google search showed 64 texture units)..

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Paul :D

EVGA GTX 650 Ti SuperSuperClocked 2GB GDDR5 Dual Product Description

Full 1080p HD with this next-generation NVIDIA Kepler architecture-based GPU.

Specifications

Core Clock - 1071MHz
Memory Clock - 5400MHz Effective
CUDA Cores - 768
Bus Type - PCI-E 3.0 <------------- I have PCI-E x16, is this the same thing?
Memory Detail - 2048MB GDDR5
Memory Bit Width - 128 Bit
Memory Speed - 0.4ns
Memory Bandwidth - 86.4GB/s
Texture Fill Rate - 34.27 GT/s

Key Features

NVIDIA SMX Engine
NVIDIA Kepler GPU Architecture
NVIDIA Adaptive Vertical Sync
NVIDIA Surround Technology
Support for 3 concurrent displays; two dual-link DVI connectors and Mini-HDMI
Microsoft DirectX 11
NVIDIA PhysX Technology
NVIDIA 3D Vision ready
NVIDIA CUDA Technology
PCI-Express 3.0 Support
OpenGL 4.3 Support

Requirements

400 Watt or greater power supplier with a minimum of 20 amps on the +12 vot rail.
PCI-Express, PCI-Express 2.0 or 3.0 compliant motherboard with one graphics slot
One 6-pin PCI-Express power connector or two available hard disk power connectors
Microsoft Windows 7 / Vista / XP

http://www.ebuyer.com/407220-evga-gtx-6 ... p4-3653-kr
Last edited by orion_uk on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Intel i7 870/2.93 GHz
RAM 16GB
1x Titan (6GB)
2x GTX 660Ti 2GB
Win10 Pro 64-bit
Carrara 8.5 Pro
Carrara - OR4C
Ds pro
OR Standalone V4
Poser Plugin
orion_uk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlru » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:28 pm

mlru Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:28 pm
Hey - don't bash the old ones!

My GTX470 may be a little limited in textures and size - but it renders quite fine! :D
Win11/64Bit | GTX 4090 24GB | NVidia Driver 546.29 | Octane 4.05 | DAZ Studio 4.21
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby orion_uk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:40 pm

orion_uk Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:40 pm
mlru wrote:Hey - don't bash the old ones!

My GTX470 may be a little limited in textures and size - but it renders quite fine! :D

Lol :P

I need to upgrade for a number of reasons.. Wife's moaning that my current card is too loud, I seem to be hitting texture limit more and more these days and I would love the speed increase :P
What with all these Octane render plugins that I keep getting my grubby little hands on (and products/scenes and characters getting more complex in the various stores) its time for me to move up a gear!

I seem to have taken this thread off its intended direction (sorry Paul)..

I better sit back and hope it gets redirected down the right path :P
Intel i7 870/2.93 GHz
RAM 16GB
1x Titan (6GB)
2x GTX 660Ti 2GB
Win10 Pro 64-bit
Carrara 8.5 Pro
Carrara - OR4C
Ds pro
OR Standalone V4