Alpha Layers in Octane

Forums: Alpha Layers in Octane
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Alpha Layers in Octane

Postby dysfunctional » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:57 pm

dysfunctional Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:57 pm
I used the search feature in Adobe Reader while scanning both the Octane Standalone and Octane Poser Plugin manuals for information on alpha channels, but I didn't find any information on what I need. I also searched the FAQ in these forums but I didn't find the information there, either. Maybe I overlooked it but I'm just wondering how I can get an alpha layer with my renders? In Poser, I usually export my renders as uncompressed .tif images that have inherent alpha channels which are useful when rendering against an empty background. But even if I set the opacity of the environment node in the plugin to zero, I still get a background. Is there a way to get an alpha channel/layer with this plugin?
Windows 7 64-bit, Intel i7 3.6 GHz Quad Core, 32 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6 GB (render card)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4 GB (render card)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (display card)
Currently Running Poser Octane Plugin Version: 2.5.23
dysfunctional
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Alpha Layers in Octane

Postby face_off » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:05 pm

face_off Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:05 pm
Hi Aaron

"kernel" -> enable "alphachannel". The Viewport leaves an "edge" between the background and the rendered image, but this is corrected in the saved image. There are also some fancy things you can do to get alpha shadows - check the tutorial forums for details.

Also, regarding your question on "Undo'ing", at the moment, once you change a slider or setting, it is changed - the old value is not remembered (when would you actually remember the value from?). So remember to save your scene prior to changing a node setup if you think you will want to "undo" the changes.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Poser