Stability issues with Plug in version 1.02

Forums: Stability issues with Plug in version 1.02
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: Stability issues with Plug in version 1.02

Postby face_off » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:20 pm

face_off Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:20 pm
Hi Lightray

Have you read the "Troubleshooting" section under the latest release thread http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=27251? That may help. Also, if it is crashing whilst rendering a long animation, there is a very high likelyhood that it is a video card overheating issue.

When I try to stop a render in progress, it's very slow to respond. Then the set up window will not allow me to change panels from the animation panel to the settings panel. I have to shut down the plug in.

On large scenes, if you have only 1 graphics card, both Windows and Octane will be using the one card and the Windows (and therefore Poser) GUI will be slowed considerably. It is highly recommended that you use a separate display adapter for Windows - you will be blown away how much better Poser runs if you have Windows using your on-board graphics adapter, leaving Octane to run on your GTX 660.

There are a couple of threads here describing how to get Windows to use your on-board graphics, but in summary, Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> Display Adapters, and select the on-boards graphics. If on-board is not an option under "Display Adapters" you will need to change your bios settings so that Windows picks up the on-board graphics as a second adapter.

Using the on-board graphics as your display adapter may assist with your overheating issue too.

Paul
Last edited by face_off on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Lightray » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 pm

Lightray Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 pm
Thanks Paul, I will try to set it up like that. I was considering getting another card for faster rendering. But I just can't afford it right now.
I will follow your suggestion.
Lightray
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:54 pm

wimvdb Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:54 pm
Having a second adapter (or the inboard adapter) makes a world of difference.
I think most of your issues will disappear with that. When I had a single adapter, the UI was extremely slow and often it seemed Poser was getting stuck. The additional video memory which will become available is also very useful.
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Poser