Presets for Octane Plug In

Forums: Presets for Octane Plug In
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Presets for Octane Plug In

Postby Lightray » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Lightray Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:25 pm
Is there any chance we could get pre-sets for various lighting conditions? These would make set up time less time consuming. The setting might simulate various lighting conditions in order to maximize rendering time for various scenes.
Example: I'm trying to light a scene of a space craft. Using the Poser lights as emitters just doesn't provide the right look. Adjustments must be made to the settings in order to give the model a lighting configuration that fits the darkness of outer space. Since the sun and stars are the only light sources, the setting must be adjusted from scratch. However, if we had presets to start from i.e.) 1. Dark conditions 2. low light conditions single yellow light source 3. medium lighting conditions single white light source 4. normal lighting conditions multiple light sources. Something to this effect. I'm sure such presets would speed up work flows.

Just a suggestion!
Lightray
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Presets for Octane Plug In

Postby face_off » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:52 pm

face_off Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:52 pm
I like the suggestion and it was actually something I tried to put into the original RealSkinShader 10 years ago. However I always have more questions than answers on how it would be implemented. Which settings are referring to? Just the Octane imager, kernel, camera settings, or "others"? If it's "others", what are they? Saving a template for the Octane render settings is trivial to implement, but I get the feeling you want lights added, etc?

I wonder if this requirement would be better served by creating various poser props which would act as emitters, where you would save the Octane material settings back to the Poser Material. These props could then be loaded into any scene.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Lightray » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:42 am

Lightray Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:42 am
Yes, I guess poser props would work. Props designed to give a certain lighting conditions depending on the mood. Anything that would make the process of setting up shots easier, I am all into.
One other thing. Why can I not save the background in poser to the frames I render. Will this not render into the background image or is there something I missed? This would save me a lot of time, because I could use some still shots as the plate and render my animation into it. Thus saving on the number of textures in the scene.
Lightray
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:46 pm

face_off Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:46 pm
Yes, I guess poser props would work. Props designed to give a certain lighting conditions depending on the mood. Anything that would make the process of setting up shots easier, I am all into.
My recommendation would be that you create your own prop library for this - since everyone is going to have different requirements, and anything I put together will not address them.

One other thing. Why can I not save the background in poser to the frames I render. Will this not render into the background image or is there something I missed? This would save me a lot of time, because I could use some still shots as the plate and render my animation into it. Thus saving on the number of textures in the scene.
This is all handling more differently, but effectively in Octane. In summary, an Enable alpha in the kernel settings. Then overlay the resulting render onto your background in whatever software you are using to put the individual frames together. This way you can also move the background if needed. You can also use the new shadow catching feature of Octane 1.02 (see the tutorial at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhiZrX9PvjQ - which is for Octane Standalone, but will work with the Poser plugin).
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Poser