OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.02p [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.02p [OBSOLETE]
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.02p [TEST]

Postby face_off » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:10 am

face_off Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:10 am
Ugh - I see.
But that's not very - intuitive .... and pretty much unusable in some cases, me thinks :cry:
(I can't calculate the vector of a sun ray on a given location and time on a globe, including the transformation of the degrees into a scale of -1...0...+1 :mrgreen: )

That's why in 2 days time I will release a version where the Octane sun position is taken from the infinite light angle....which is very intuitive :-)

And to add to the bug report:
When importing a figures materials with the option 'retain existing imagemaps' my setting of the sss-map get's replaced by the diffuse map of the original instead of the image in the exported setting (assuming, there was no special setting to that node before).
In this case I think the import should add the exported setting to a node unless this isn't occupied already.
I hope, I explained that understandingly...

That sounds like the way it is supposed to work. "Retain existing imagemaps" should KEEP the image maps currently plugged into the diffuse, bump and opacity pins, and NOT replace them with the diffuse/bump/opacity maps from the material being imported.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:17 am

face_off Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:17 am
At the same time I got a "WARNING: Low Video Card Memory. Memory available : 0MB". But I had plenty of ram available at that time.

Hi Zay - I'm sure this wasn't the case for you, however I got this message when I left the performance benchmark scene rendering in Octane Standalone and then loaded a scene into the Poser plugin too. This is probably obvious, but don't render in Octane Standalone and OctaneRender for Poser at the same time :-)

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Zay » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:37 am

Zay Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:37 am
File-> Revert will do this.

Thanks, didn't even think of that :)

Hi Zay - I'm sure this wasn't the case for you, however I got this message when I left the performance benchmark scene rendering in Octane Standalone and then loaded a scene into the Poser plugin too. This is probably obvious, but don't render in Octane Standalone and OctaneRender for Poser at the same time :-)

No just one Octane running is enough for me :) But I have seen it 3 or 4 times now. Every time when fiddling with instance.
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:27 pm

wimvdb Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:27 pm
face_off wrote:
Another bug which seems to have been missed (unless i missed it myself)
If make a right click selection and move BEFORE the right click menu appears, the selected node will change. This happens all the time with busy scenes. Sometimes it takes a second or 2 before the right click menu appears and you have to keep the mouse in place until it does. This makes it difficult to work fast

Hi Wim

I thought the most recent version fixed this issue. Can you pls double-check that it is still happening?

Paul

It thought so too. But it apparently depends on the number of nodes how soon it appears.
I was copy/pasting a lot nodes: Copy a node, right click, copy, move cursor to next node to change, select it, right click, paste. I had to do that about 200 times with 4 different type of nodes. I made about 10 mistakes (while watching it) because of the bug. Often you just move the mouse to quickly to where the paste menu item is going to be and it ends up being pasted on the node below. You only notice when you render that something is odd
In the attached test render you can see that there are many nodes. Most of the bottles have different materials for glass, label, contents and cap. So there are many nodes here
Attachments
bar.jpg
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:27 pm

wimvdb Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:27 pm
Another one I just found. At least worth mentioning in a readme of documentation.
If you delete in Poser a figure with parented props or parented figures AND you have the plugin open (autorefresh off), the entire scene is newly refreshed for EACH deleted prop or figure. It the scene is large this can take very, very long
Apparently Poser send a notification that the scene has changed after each deleted object even when it is part of a larger delete, The plugin picks it up and refreshes the scene

It would be nice if something could be done about it, but I am not sure if you can.
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:31 pm

wimvdb Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:31 pm
Another nice feature would be that a duplicated prop or figure would keep its octane materials. Now only the original materials are copied
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlru » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:35 pm

mlru Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:35 pm
A Happy New Year, to say first. :D

face_off wrote:
And to add to the bug report:
When importing a figures materials with the option 'retain existing imagemaps' my setting of the sss-map get's replaced by the diffuse map of the original instead of the image in the exported setting (assuming, there was no special setting to that node before).
In this case I think the import should add the exported setting to a node unless this isn't occupied already.
I hope, I explained that understandingly...

That sounds like the way it is supposed to work. "Retain existing imagemaps" should KEEP the image maps currently plugged into the diffuse, bump and opacity pins, and NOT replace them with the diffuse/bump/opacity maps from the material being imported.

Paul

No, that's not what I meant.
For example: a fresh scene with a V4. Open up the plug-in and the materials get converted to some glossy settings. There's no SSS or other special setting present. Fine.
In the second step I import my fine tuned materials (material mix, fresnel, sss, whatsoever) for the whole figure while retaining the original images.
Now, for example, in the hip I have a material mix of a diffuse and glossy material. In the diffuse material there's a new transmission channel which also contains the retained image texture instead of the one defined in the import file. Same goes for a specular map. If there isn't one in the first place but the import has one defined, then the original diffuse map is taken.

That's how it works right now (left: before import, middle, right: diffuse and glossy channel after import):

And that's how it should work (taking over the settings from the import file):

BTW: I noticed, that in the original conversion the bump channel gets defined with the diffuse map (V4SmplTorsoM_BKN.jpg), too, although there is no according setting in the Poser material for the bumps.
Is that by intention?
Win11/64Bit | GTX 4090 24GB | NVidia Driver 546.29 | Octane 4.05 | DAZ Studio 4.21
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlru » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:43 pm

mlru Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:43 pm
wimvdb wrote:Another nice feature would be that a duplicated prop or figure would keep its octane materials. Now only the original materials are copied

You can save the Octane material back into Poser and then duplicate the prop. This way the Octane materials will be preserved.
Win11/64Bit | GTX 4090 24GB | NVidia Driver 546.29 | Octane 4.05 | DAZ Studio 4.21
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:29 pm

wimvdb Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:29 pm
mlru wrote:
wimvdb wrote:Another nice feature would be that a duplicated prop or figure would keep its octane materials. Now only the original materials are copied

You can save the Octane material back into Poser and then duplicate the prop. This way the Octane materials will be preserved.

Ah, I missed the extra step. Since it saves with the scene I thought it would be already attached to the prop or figure

Thanks
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:01 pm

wimvdb Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:01 pm
Two other things I ran into
- If you have a null figure with attached props and figures, the texture counter script failes with
for material in figure.materials()
System error: error return without exception set

- another window scaling bug: The memory usage box you added in the last few builds also cuts off numbers. This is with DPI at 125%
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Poser