OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.01d [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.01d [OBSOLETE]
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.01d [OBSOLETE]

Postby face_off » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:45 am

face_off Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:45 am
Oh, and a scalable Setup window REALLY would come in handy ;)

It's pretty much at the top of the list of things to do :-)
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby mlru » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:48 pm

mlru Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:48 pm
face_off wrote:Interesting Uwe. And yes, a very good start. I assume you've seen http://poserphysics.blogspot.com/2012/11/octanerender-sss-skin-shader.html?

Yes, it's a pretty similar approach as I usually use in the stand-alone version (from which I derived my Poser-plugin settings).

face_off wrote:
Direction goes more to +1 because we want the light to travel through and not reflected.

I only did studies with frontal and side lights - not back lights. In those cases, I didn't find any difference between -1, 0 and 1 for direction. However the reflected light should be as important as the back light - so I thought 0 would be the best for the direction.

Well, I politely have to disagree.
My impression is, that in most "usual" light conditions, be it sunshine, overcast or indoor radiance, SSS doesn't play a noteable role. I think SSS only really contributes in special cases like back-lighting, when the translucence of the tissue really becomes notable. If I look now on my skin, or that of the people around me, I really don't notice too much of a SSS.
So, if you have a more undirected scattering, you'll get the effect even under conditions where you wouldn't want it (i.e. resulting in reddish shadows on the skin, 'glowing' skin, wax-like look)
What really gets -back- reflected (esp on very pale parts of the skin) is the color of the subcutaneous tissue and blood vessels, but that has nothing to do with SSS, in my opinion.
I don't have the slightest clue how to implement a subcutane map in Octane :D, no matter the fact that I think this isn't needed. A good diffuse map can do that, too.

face_off wrote:
absorption:0, scattering:0.09

I found with absorption at 0, there can be a buildup of light inside the mesh - which is what is happening in her nose. Again, I'm not expert, but I found you need the absorption near the scatter value so that the light doesn't scatter forever.

That's exactly the function of the SSS-map. Being a floatimage, the brighter areas allowing more and the darker area allowing less or no scattering.
With a SSS-map the absorption value becomes obsolete (or better - HAS to stay 0.0).

I'll fine-tune my settings and test them under different light conditions and will post the results here.

Uwe
Win11/64Bit | GTX 4090 24GB | NVidia Driver 546.29 | Octane 4.05 | DAZ Studio 4.21
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vipvip » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:39 pm

vipvip Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:39 pm
Ok Paul

i understand your reasons for copy/paste and other things...
Sure you'll find the better way to organise shortcuts ! For the top position for copy/paste,it is a good idea !

for "This already happens - if you go into the Poser Material Room, and select a Poser material, it automatically selects the Octane material in the Material tab. Is that what you meant?"
i just meant that when you select an object, actually, it selects automatically the material concerned ( which is great ! ) but just the level 0 ( see pict. attached), i propose you the same process but develop the 1st level of the material instead of keeping it 'closed': it just avoids to open it ( gain of 1 click ) -> hope you understand, here is a screen capture to illlustrate

Regards

Vincent
Attachments
Capture.JPG
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vipvip » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:43 pm

vipvip Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:43 pm
..and when there is only 1 material in the object, the must-have would be to develop directly the material tree, which become the 'level 1' ( picture attached)... if possible of course ;)
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (27.97 KiB) Viewed 6546 times
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:03 am

face_off Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:03 am
I have re-uploaded 1.00p - so if you are already on this version, pls redownload and install it for the following fixes:

- "Select Image File" now picks up all Poser files from all nodes in the Poser Materials (not just texture, bump and trans).
- Adjusted the width of the filenames in the "Select Image File" combo boxes (they are now shorter).
- When "color picking" from the color popup, all ok/cancel/etc buttons are disabled, so <space> or <enter> MUST be used to exit color pick mode
- Fixed issue where loading a pz3 file would sometimes not load the Octane materials that were previously saved

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:05 am

face_off Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:05 am
i just meant that when you select an object, actually, it selects automatically the material concerned ( which is great ! ) but just the level 0 ( see pict. attached), i propose you the same process but develop the 1st level of the material instead of keeping it 'closed': it just avoids to open it ( gain of 1 click ) -> hope you understand, here is a screen capture to illlustrate

Ah, so would like the Poser prop/Figure selected AND expanded (so you see all the prop/figure materials)? Keep in mind also that as you click more Poser props/figures, it will expand more of the tree making it look a little "messy".
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby vipvip » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:27 am

vipvip Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:27 am
that's it
For consecutive selecting, it closes the previous one to expand the last selected... of course, it is (again) just a suggestion...
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:39 am

face_off Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:39 am
For consecutive selecting, it closes the previous one to expand the last selected... of course, it is (again) just a suggestion...

Thanks Vincent - I can certainly add that feature. Collapsing the previously selected tree may be an inconvenience for some users - however I'll see how it goes.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby vipvip » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:53 am

vipvip Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:53 am
"Collapsing the previously selected tree may be an inconvenience for some users",
yes probably and in some case for me too...
thanks
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:28 am

face_off Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:28 am
yes probably and in some case for me too...
thanks

Tweaking workflow can be a sensitive area - what works for one user might not for others. So unfortunately I need to take a cautious approach to changes like this :-) I've also got some other changing to do which I think you'll like, but they are a week or two away.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Poser