OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.01d [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.01d [OBSOLETE]
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.01d [TEST]

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:50 am

face_off Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:50 am
I'll try that caustic slider on another render and let you know. I must admit sometimes I do like it when it looks like you shot it with an old film with a fast ASA rating and looks all grainy. But that just shows how ancient I am aye : > ))

I agree - that grainy feel is fantastic. I was just curious if you had looked at the caustic effect to see if it can be controlled. A common complain ppl have had about my renders is that they look incomplete (ie. I didn't let the render run long enough). I thought (if I ever actually got time to do any more rendering :-) I'd see if the caustic slider would help.
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby p3taoctane » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:53 am

p3taoctane Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:53 am
I usually let mine go to about 3000 samples if they don't clean up well by then... going past that helps... only a little bit more for a long wait : > )

But I have not tried the caustic blur yet... next job its on : > )
Windows 7 Pro_SP 1_64 bit_48 GB Ram_Intel Xeon X5660 2.80 GHZ x2_6 580GTX_1 Quadra 4800
p3taoctane
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vipvip » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:11 am

vipvip Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:11 am
hi again Paul,

thanks for your answers !

concerning
face_off wrote:
* do you plan to add "float 3" parameter for texture scaling ?
i attach a picture to show you what i mean for the float fractal texture values ( exept error from my side, the feature doesn't exist in the poser plugin )

About the accessibility of all parameters without opening/closing each time, perhaps there is plenty of solutions possible, like you say ( windows popup) or simplier bigger interface window, but it is just a 'user' suggestion and i imagine you have technical constraints.
However it's would be important for me, and for some other i'm sure, because one of the interest of octane is the 'real time' concept of creating materials with smoothness (artistic workflow), and the more the smooth of the interface is, the more efficient is the creation process is too.

Fot the color i understand the constraint, if one day you find a solution, it would be great, i cross fingers ! :)

Other thing, i was wondering: as the plugin does'nt depend anymore of the OBJ format, do you gather il would be possible to use multiple UVs on mesh textures ? il would be very interesting ...

Last thing: i find excellent the picture you used for illustrating the warm tweaking of the light temperature in the PDF doc (p51 ), well done ;) !
About this pdf, i think the definition of the roughness inversed ( page 43: the bigger it is, the less reflective the object is: it is written the inverse )

regards

Vincent
Attachments
float_3.JPG
float_3.JPG (29.78 KiB) Viewed 4932 times
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:02 am

face_off Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:02 am
About this pdf, i think the definition of the roughness inversed ( page 43: the bigger it is, the less reflective the object is: it is written the inverse )

You are right - I will change this the next time we are updating the manual.

i attach a picture to show you what i mean for the float fractal texture values ( exept error from my side, the feature doesn't exist in the poser plugin )

Good point (I thought you were originally referring to images). I'll need to look into this - I think it would be better to have that particular scale automatically set to float3 rather than float (although slightly less convenient to adjust). There are some other materials like this (checks, marble, sawwave, sinewave, trianlgewave, turbulence). I will change it in the next version.

Other thing, i was wondering: as the plugin does'nt depend anymore of the OBJ format, do you gather il would be possible to use multiple UVs on mesh textures ? il would be very interesting ...

A single set of UV's is an Octane constraint as the moment, so cannot be implemented in the plugin at this stage.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby vipvip » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:14 am

vipvip Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:14 am
Hi (again ) Paul

i just had an idea coming from a natural reflex i have on some Application, and coming back naturaly with this interface:
for tweaking parameters, would it be possible to make them change when the mouse is over them and "clicking/dragging the mouse left to right or right to left" to make the value change ? With this system, we could keep the classic way and mix this new way of tweaking, much more quick to setup parameters... I hope you see what i mean
Another solution, used by photoshop cs6, is to use the up/down kays to make the value change ( but i would prefer the first one, with perhaps alt/shift and/or control to make the change less or more effective)

As i don't want only be annoying with my neverend suggestions :), i post you my first 'real' picture (attached ), done with your creation (it is a quick done one, no labels on bottles, and the glass ne to be more subdivided, but i had no time for this, it is in a first time for quick tests ! )

Thanks

Vincent
Attachments
moelleux_verre_bouts01a_ps.jpg
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:21 am

face_off Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:21 am
Vincent - that is an absolutely amazing render! Do you mind if I post a low-rez version on the facebook page (crediting you)?

i just had an idea coming from a natural reflex i have on some Application, and coming back naturaly with this interface:
for tweaking parameters, would it be possible to make them change when the mouse is over them and "clicking/dragging the mouse left to right or right to left" to make the value change ? With this system, we could keep the classic way and mix this new way of tweaking, much more quick to setup parameters... I hope you see what i mean
Another solution, used by photoshop cs6, is to use the up/down kays to make the value change ( but i would prefer the first one, with perhaps alt/shift and/or control to make the change less or more effective)

Could another option be if it's a single float or int, when you mouse over the tree item, scrolling the mousewheel up or down could move the slider a notch either way?
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby vipvip » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:38 pm

vipvip Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:38 pm
for the render, with a great plesure ! you can post !

For the mouse scrolling, why not? The goal is to 'strech' the access to the tweaking values, if possible of course...

Last thing i join to this post a zip with an object generating an error with the plugin, the same object ( version obj ) imports and render well with the standalone version of octane...
I include the cuda log message with.

Regards

Vincent
Attachments
bug_octane_poser02cuda error.zip
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 308 times
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:46 am

face_off Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:46 am
Last thing i join to this post a zip with an object generating an error with the plugin, the same object ( version obj ) imports and render well with the standalone version of octane...
I include the cuda log message with

Hi Vincent. Polygon 17847 only has 2 vertices. I'm not sure how OctaneStandalone is handling this (I suspect it's deleting that polygon), however this is not supported by the plugin. I'll add filtering out of 2 vertex polygons to the wishlist (but it's a low priority). Importing and exporting the mesh to most modelling apps should fix it - ZBrush in particular. I tried exporting and reimported and 3ds, but the mixure or 3 and 4 sided polygons still tripped up Octane. I can send you a fixed version of the mesh if you like.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:13 am

face_off Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:13 am
I have posted an experimental beta - mainly for Vincert to test the new "scale" functionality, and some other enhancements. Pls make sure you can rollback to 1.01d if you decide to try this version and have problems - if is not the "official" test version yet.

1.01e
- Added "scale" to textures such as "turbulence" was that all 3 dimensions of the scale can be adjusted. The is not currently a facility to adjust the rotation at this point
- If you click a float, int or floattexture tree item, you can mousewheel scroll to move the slider. Only works for single value nodes, and only works while the slider value is selected
- Turning on alphachannel is now rendering correctly in the viewport. There is still a slight border between the alpha and non-alpha, however this is not in the saved render
- New color picker added. Click on the color button to access a popup. Render will continue and can restarted as you tweak the R, G and B. Click pick color to pick a color from the screen (press space or enter to select the color and exit color pick mode)
- Loading or generating a transform now pauses rendering. It will continue (if it wasn't paused) once the load/generate is complete

Download the plug HERE
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby vipvip » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:57 am

vipvip Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:57 am
Hi Paul

thanks a lot for your explanation. And for the new plugin version too !! I'll download it but not tried yet but i'm impatient ! In 2 hours it will be done and i surely will send you a feedback !

Your plugin, even in the 1.0d version, is so great to use and it works very well ( just i've done some instances tests but can't master the process at this point, i think i've to check geometries origin and coordinates...): i dream since 1+ year this kind of solution for using octane !
The material-clicking in poser viewport, and the import/export and copy process of materials are wonderfull ( should it be possible to assign a defaut CTRL+C & CTRL+V for copying-pasting them directly with, for example, the first option by default ? )

The suggestion of the day :) :
Do you plan to insert custom paths for materials, picture textures, environment textures: it will be (again the same song :) ) a gain of time and smoothness !
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Poser