OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.00o [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.00o [OBSOLETE]
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.00o [OBSOLETE]

Postby face_off » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:46 am

face_off Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:46 am
This is the recommended thread for downloading, and posting any questions, suggestions or support queries for OctaneRender for Poser, build 1.00o.

In the unlikely event that you have a support issue, pls provide the following information:
- Operating System (ie. Win XP, Vista, 7, 8)
- 32 or 64 bit
- Amount of RAM
- Graphics Card(s) - model (ie. GTX 580, 3GB)
- Nvidia driver version
- Poser version (Poser -> Help -> About Poser) - list the build number (eg. 9.0.3.23027)
- Also have ready a copy of the octaneplugin.log and cuda.log file from your Poser temp direction (Poser -> Edit -> General Preferences -> Misc tab to find the temp directory)

I will be posting updates to the plugin as required, which will be reported in this thread.

Change Log for release 1.00o
- Now correctly detects when parent props are parented to an invisible figure and does not load them into the Octane scene
- Now correctly loads both props and figures which have been partially uv mapped.
- Changing a glossy to specular material (or vise-versa) does NOT copy the roughness and index pins anymore (previously the glossy roughness was impacting the specular defaults)
- Where a Poser material has a texturemap and the diffuse_color/diffuse_value is not = 255/255/255, the texturemap will be multipled by the color in the Octane material
- Changing a texture environment to "daylight" will NOT now copy the power setting (since daylight should be the default setting of 1
- Grouping props are now not imported into the Octane scene
- Create Emitters From Lights - point lights now use low poly sphere, and infinite/spot lights use single sided one poly plane.

If you have questions....
- Read the manual
- Read the FAQ
- Watch the Features Video
- Read the Features Blog Posting
- Watch the Introductory Tutorial
- Check the Facebook Page
- Post your question on this forum thread

Troubleshooting
- GUI issues (lock-up/crash) on large scenes (ie. 4million polys) - potentially due to the Windows Vista/7 "Timeout Detection and Recovery" http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg487368.aspx[url][/url]. Settings can be changed using Regedit. The recommended setting for Octane are registry setting HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers, TdrLevel = 3, TdrDelay =10 (if these settings are not already there, rightclick the right panel -> New -> DWORD). You will need to reboot after changing these settings.

Limitations
- Loading a Poser scene by double-clicking a pz3 file in the Windows file explorer, or selecting from your "Recent Files" will not load the previously saved Octane scene data for that file when Poser starts. This is due to a Poser bug which has been reported to Smith Micro. Instead, use the Poser menu File -> Open to open any pz3 files which contain Octane scene data.
- Material Picking (by clicking on a material in the Poser Material Room) does not select that material in the OctaneRender material tab if you have a camera selected in the Parameter Dials window.

Download the plug HERE

Hope you enjoy using the plugin!

Paul
Last edited by face_off on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.00o [CURRENT]

Postby Witpapier » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Witpapier Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:13 pm
Funny thing Im experiencing now is that when I drag and pull the render screen to resize, I get the cuda error that I must reset my cuda card and then poser crashes aswell.

Windows 7 64bit
16gig ddr 3 ram
Intel I5 2500K
EVGA Geforce GTX 570 OC ED
Poser Pro 2012 9.0.3.23027
Geforce Drivers 310.33
RedSpec TGX for Poser / OctaneRender - OUT NOW visit http://redspec-sss.com/
Witpapier
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:17 pm

face_off Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:17 pm
Funny thing Im experiencing now is that when I drag and pull the render screen to resize, I get the cuda error that I must reset my cuda card and then poser crashes aswell.

Thanks Witpapier. I've had another report of this issue too. It /appears/ to be happening with scenes close to the memory limit of the graphics card. I'm working on trying to be able to reproduce the problem on my system. Once I can do that, I'm sure the fix will only take a few minutes :-\ My suspicion is that this will only happen with scenes that contain partially uv mapped props.

Sorry for the hassle.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Witpapier » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Witpapier Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:07 pm
Thank you for all your trouble. Another thing Im wondering. Is it not possible to make the plugin import a character material that one has edited with Snarrly's Easyskin 2 with all the SSS and setting and or the V4 characters with SSS skins into Octane... I am having it quite difficult getting any SSS in my scenes and I have been on http://poserphysics.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... hader.html but half the settings I cant even find. There must be an easier way to add sss. Im getting such good renders... it seems I just need that little extra to make it real! :) Excuse me if I seem a bit noobish... But genius lies in simplicity. Albert Einstein. ;) ;)
Witpapier
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:08 pm

face_off Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:08 pm

An update on this issue. It is caused when your scene is right on the graphics card memory limit and you increase the size of the Octane Render Viewport to a point where the graphics card runs out of memory allocating the additional memory required for the increased Viewport size. This is happening on the 1.00n too.

Whilst there is not much that can be done about running out of video card memory, I will look at a code fix for the plugin so that when this occurs, the plugin exits graceful rather than crashing Poser.

Check the FAQ in this forum for hints on how to save video card memory (ie. setting the Basic Windows theme, reduce the OpenGL texture size in the Poser preview settings).

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:13 pm

face_off Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:13 pm
Another thing Im wondering. Is it not possible to make the plugin import a character material that one has edited with Snarrly's Easyskin 2 with all the SSS and setting and or the V4 characters with SSS skins into Octane... I am having it quite difficult getting any SSS in my scenes and I have been on http://poserphysics.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... hader.html but half the settings I cant even find. There must be an easier way to add sss.

EzSkin uses a totally different system for SSS, which is not compatible with the Octane node system, so there is not a one-to-one correlation between that would allow the replication of the EzSkin SSS into Octane. Also, the Octane SSS is a much simpler node system and provides a much better quality of render.

The Octane SSS system is really quite simple - I think my tutorial just doesn't explain it well enough. I'll look at fleshing it out a little better later today.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Witpapier » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:41 pm

Witpapier Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:41 pm
Awesome i cant wait :)
Witpapier
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:21 pm

face_off Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:21 pm
I've update the SSS shader blog post. You were right - it assumed a high degree of Octane expertise. Hopefully the newer version is easier to follow. Pls let me know if anything is not clear or you need more details.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Witpapier » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Witpapier Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:10 pm
Thank you very much, Time to study the works. :D :D :D
Witpapier
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlru » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:59 am

mlru Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:59 am
So far this works very nice for me (although I prefer the stand-alone's node editor way more for it's versatility than the hierarchical approach). The copy/paste of identical materials can get enervating at times, but is good to have. :D
Small nitpick: the select options are a little confusing and could be sorted alphabetically like in the stand alone version:
Attachments
options.jpg
Win11/64Bit | GTX 4090 24GB | NVidia Driver 546.29 | Octane 4.05 | DAZ Studio 4.21
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Poser