OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.00m [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.00m [OBSOLETE]
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.00m [CURRENT]

Postby Andrea1972 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Andrea1972 Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:46 pm
First thing I would like to thank you for this plugin, it was something I had really waited for. I purchased it immediately when it was made available on today.

However I think I have an issue with the installation, Poser cannot see the plugin :

- I have a PC with Windows 7 64 bit
- Poser Pro 2012 9.0.3.23027 installed in a non-standard path S:\Poser Pro 2012
- OctanerRender installed and registered in "S:\Octane Render beta258e" (it works fine)

I copied the installation files from the Win 64 folder in the zipped archive, so now I have :

- S:\Poser Pro 2012\octane.dat
- S:\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser
- S:\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\poserscripts\ScriptsMenu\OctaneRender for Poser

I think the installation is correct, but when I start Poser, the Render menu does not show the OctaneRender option at the bottom.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Andrea1972
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:39 pm

face_off Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:39 pm
I have one question: I did not find a way to save the converted Octane scene. Is this done automatically in some hidden folder?
Reason I'm asking is that once the setup of the scene is complete, and you're only tweaking lighting / materials, it would be no longer
required to fire up Poser for that. Another possible reason would be some extension of Octane which is not yet mirrored in the plugin.
Apart from that, it would be sufficient to work just in Poser.

Hi Michael. The converted Octane is saved with the Poser scene when you File -> Save. Then all the settings and materials are reloaded when you File -> Load. You need to have the Poser scene open for the Octane scene you are rendering. The Octane scene is not saved in OCS format (although this will potentially be possible in a future release), however there should be no need for loaded the scene into Octane Standalone, as all the features from Standalone are in the Poser plugin. The next release of the plugin will include the Instancing implementation in the current version of Octane Standalone.

One more thing I cannot figure out how to do is how to modify materials

Go to the Materials tab in the plugin and click a node, then at the bottom of the window you can change the node type. Rightclick a material to save to disk. The save format the same as the Standalone material macros.
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:46 pm

face_off Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:46 pm
However I think I have an issue with the installation, Poser cannot see the plugin :

Hi Andrea. Your installation looks correct. If the OctaneRender option is not in the Render menu then for some reason the Poser addon system has not picked the files you installed.

- I assume you restarted Poser after installing the files?
- When you originally installed Poser, did you install to S:\Poser Pro 2012, or did you install somewhere else and copy it to this location?
- When you installed SR3.1, did you default the install location to S:\Poser Pro 2012, or did you need to search for the install?

I will reinstall Poser to a different drive and see if I can reproduce this problem.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:06 pm

face_off Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:06 pm
I will reinstall Poser to a different drive and see if I can reproduce this problem.

Hi Andrea - I copied my Poser install onto another drive E:\Poser Pro 2012 and everything ran fine. I suspect none of the addons will work for you (ie. Snarly's subdivider, DAZ DSON/Genesis). I suggest rebooting and see if that makes a difference. If not, I suggest reinstalling SR3.1.

Another thing you can check - is there an octaneplugin.log file in your Poser temp folder (folder specified in Edit -> General Preferences -> Misc tab)? If so, can you pls send it to me at [email protected].

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:46 am

face_off Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:46 am
I am having an issue with 'custom' V4 characters. The OctaneRender plugin works perfectly well with Andy2, props, and the default V4 (default DAZ textures), but when I try to run it with one of my V4 characters that used the EZskin script to generate SSS material nodes, it produces an error dialog and doesn't reach the panel with the Octane viewport dialog box (see attached jpeg). I have very little python programming experience, but could the OctaneRender plugin not like the material-node setup generated by EZskin?

Christof - I suspect the your problem may be caused by the figures glasses, which may not have been uv mapped. You can test this by deleting the glasses prop and running the Octane plugin - if it works, then the glasses are the problem. I will rectify the error of non-uv mapped props in the next patch.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Andrea1972 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:05 am

Andrea1972 Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:05 am
Hi Paul, thanks for the answer :

- I assume you restarted Poser after installing the files? => Yes, I tried it a couple of times. I also tried restarting the machine, as you suggested in your other post, but with no success
- When you originally installed Poser, did you install to S:\Poser Pro 2012, or did you install somewhere else and copy it to this location? => To S:\Poser Pro 2012
- When you installed SR3.1, did you default the install location to S:\Poser Pro 2012, or did you need to search for the install? => To be honest I cannot remember, but I tried now to launch again the SR3.1 setup file, and it prompted me to install in S:\Poser Pro 2012

I installed the other plugins you mentioned (EZSkin and the DSON importer) and they work properly.

I found the octaneplugin.log, I will forward it to you.

Thanks again for the help
Andrea1972
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby dysfunctional » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:48 am

dysfunctional Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:48 am
New to the board, guys. Just picked up the plugin earlier today. Can't wait to learn from everyone best practices and keep up with cool developments!

I imagine Paul is crazy inundated with questions across forums everyone as his plugin goes live, so I thought I might see if I could help:

Andrea, your problem might be that you have an external runtime, since you mentioned installing in the S:\ drive? Poser's .exe needs to be in either the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folder, depending on if you are using the 32 or 64 bit version of the software. That installation of the software contains the runtime that you need to have the Octane plugin copied to. If you copy the Runtime folder included with the plugin to your external runtime folder where all of your content is, it won't load with the software, so you won't see it in Poser's Render or Scripts menus.

I don't know if that helps, but thought I'd give it a shot. I am going to try to walk through Paul's SSS skin shader setup now and do some test renders.
Windows 7 64-bit, Intel i7 3.6 GHz Quad Core, 32 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6 GB (render card)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4 GB (render card)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (display card)
Currently Running Poser Octane Plugin Version: 2.5.23
dysfunctional
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:32 am

face_off Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:32 am
Hi dysfunctional

I just added a comment to the SSS blog post to say to plug the diffuse texturemap into the transmission and half the scattering scale if you are getting too much red SSS in the darkly mapped areas. I'm sure that shader can be vastly improved - but in general I think the overall structure of it is right (and matches all the other skin shaders people have posted on these forums). I still think the default glossy shader gives a result almost as good as the SSS shader for full body shots - but the SSS shader seems much better for portraits.

Good luck

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby dysfunctional » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:04 am

dysfunctional Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:04 am
face_off wrote:I just added a comment to the SSS blog post to say to plug the diffuse texturemap into the transmission and half the scattering scale if you are getting too much red SSS in the darkly mapped areas.

I saw it. Actually, that was me that posted that as well, LOL.

I am having fun playing around with the plugin's settings and getting familiar with its layout. I can't wait until I've got it mastered and can fly through setting up my scenes with it. It is really great! I have a few questions though maybe you can help with:

1. I use the script menu's "Create Emitters from Lights" python and the script executes, creating geometry from the lights, just as the manual says. But when I start to render, everything is black. I don't know why. I've tried multiple light sets and always the same results.

2. Is the camera simulating a real life camera? For example, if I want to create a very shallow depth of field, I should be able to use a small aperture, large focal length, and a slow film speed? Or, to make a nearly non-existant depth of field (everything in sharp focus), I can adjust the focal length of the camera to something like 28 mm and use a large aperture?
Windows 7 64-bit, Intel i7 3.6 GHz Quad Core, 32 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6 GB (render card)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4 GB (render card)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (display card)
Currently Running Poser Octane Plugin Version: 2.5.23
dysfunctional
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:32 am

face_off Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:32 am
creating geometry from the lights, just as the manual says

You can light the scene from emitters, a L/HDRI image or sunlight. The later two are very easy to setup (the environment node). The tutorial http://youtu.be/31GcDjw1AQs should show you all 3 in action. The emitter light model will render black if all the emitters are inside other geometry, or under the ground.

Is the camera simulating a real life camera? For example, if I want to create a very shallow depth of field, I should be able to use a small aperture, large focal length, and a slow film speed? Or, to make a nearly non-existant depth of field (everything in sharp focus), I can adjust the focal length of the camera to something like 28 mm and use a large aperture?

I'm no photographer, but from what I can see, the camera acts as a real camera would. An aperture of 10 will give a lot of DOF. As the aperture gets bigger, you will need to consider turning off autofocus (just click the Octane Render Viewport to set the focal point. There are a heap of different film types in the imager settings too what are useful for getting different effects.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Poser