Introducing the Octane for Poser plug-in

Forums: Introducing the Octane for Poser plug-in
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: Introducing the Octane for Poser plug-in

Postby face_off » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:12 am

face_off Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:12 am
Will it be possible to make animations without reloading the scene?

Not quite sure what you mean here. You hit the "Render Animation" button on the OctaneRender for Poser options dialog. It then automatically renders each frame in the range you have selected. You don't need to do anything else. A full scene transfer from Poser to OctaneRender for Poser is pretty quick, so the overhead is low. The only limitation is that you cannot animate octane settings (so emitter intensity, etc will be static throughout the animation). You can however move the position and size of the emitters.

I will post a video of this process in a few days time.

Right now I save out all the OBJ's for animations and they of course have to be reloaded for every frame.

The plugin handles all this for you.

Will it be possible to save the scene as .OSC including OBJ and textures into a folder?

This is in the current version, but there are some limitations. I need to find solutions in order for it to be in the final version.

Almost all the time I need to edit the OBJ to subdivide low poly figures and objects in MODO or bake new textures as there are too many for the GFX card to handle. And I also reduce texture sizes in Photo Shop as there is also the texture limitation.

There is a script which will merge the V4 (or Alyson, etc) Head, Body and Limbs maps into one map (it re-UVs the figure - you then manually merge the maps into quarters). This drastically reduces the number of image maps in the scene. The script for V4 is at Sharecg. I can provide more details if you need. I've developed another script to do the same thing for Alyson and Antonia. As far as subd goes, Snarly has a good script to subd a figure inside Poser. It does a great job (I just wish you could specify which mats got sub'd).

Will it be possible to remove all the nodes you don't want in one click, like removing all bump, specular maps etc., to keep the number of textures down?

There is a template system which helps with this, but the easiest solution here is to run a tiny python script in Poser to remove all the bump/specular maps in the Material Room. Then load the scene in the plugin. For anything that's not a close-up, there seems little value in bump or spec maps - Octane seems to produce amazing results without them!

You could also have an option to reuse the diffuse textures as a bump map texture which I do a lot.

Again, I'd be tempted to do this in Poser prior to running the plugin.
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby mlru » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:14 am

mlru Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:14 am
now that sounds like good news....

I'm pretty content with the OBj export method , even more since the last versions of Octane keep the nodes connected, but i can see some good benefits with this plugin, especially for fine-tuning of the light setup.

now - is there a way to use macro materials? I have quite a collection of predefined shaders, more or less complex, esp. for the skin, so is there a posibility to use them? the video shows some script based templates - will that be the way to go?
Win11/64Bit | GTX 4090 24GB | NVidia Driver 546.29 | Octane 4.05 | DAZ Studio 4.21
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:54 pm

face_off Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:54 pm
is there a way to use macro materials? I have quite a collection of predefined shaders, more or less complex, esp. for the skin, so is there a posibility to use them?

I am in the midst of implementing this at the moment. Any macro that is to be loaded needs to have been saved with "Use Relative Paths" OFF and "Embed Resources" OFF.
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby mlru » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:45 pm

mlru Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:45 pm
cool.

even more questions:

how about Poser's dynamic hair? how I understand it, they're defined by splines, which octane doesn't handle?

is instancing supported in any way?

in any case it might be very usefull to be able to save the ocs for further adjusting.

I'm really looking forward to this. :)
Win11/64Bit | GTX 4090 24GB | NVidia Driver 546.29 | Octane 4.05 | DAZ Studio 4.21
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:17 pm

face Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:17 pm
mlru wrote:cool.

even more questions:

how about Poser's dynamic hair? how I understand it, they're defined by splines, which octane doesn't handle?

in any case it might be very usefull to be able to save the ocs for further adjusting.

I'm really looking forward to this. :)

Splines like hair can´t render in Octane.
It is possible to write a routine to convert splines to a mesh, but because every spline is unique, you can´t render it as instance.
The resulting mesh can also be realy big...

face
Win10 Pro, Driver 378.78, Softimage 2015SP2 & Octane 3.05 RC1,
64GB Ram, i7-6950X, GTX1080TI 11GB
http://vimeo.com/user2509578
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:56 pm

face_off Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:56 pm
Thought I responded to this, but must have not hit Submit!

Further to face's comment, I'm looking at converting the splines to polys. Unsure yet of if this will make it into the plugin or not.

It will be/

Working on this as we speak :-)
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Zay » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:54 am

Zay Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:54 am
Wow, sounds like xmas is coming early this year :lol:

Since Poser doesn't support instance how will this work? I tried to export a Vue forest to Poser, but Poser couldn't handle all the geometry. Well, it could load it after a long time, but camera movements in Poser was impossible.
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlru » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:28 am

mlru Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:28 am
face wrote:Splines like hair can´t render in Octane.
It is possible to write a routine to convert splines to a mesh, but because every spline is unique, you can´t render it as instance.
The resulting mesh can also be realy big...

face_off wrote:Further to face's comment, I'm looking at converting the splines to polys. Unsure yet of if this will make it into the plugin or not.

yes, I see. not a big deal breaker if it doesn't work, I think.
IIRR the guys over at Renderosity did a spline-to-mesh convertion for hair when working on a Lux exporter, so it seems doable, but the poly count might be an issue in the end.

although - a close-up portrait with dynamic hair - you won't need a camera anymore... :mrgreen:
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:12 pm

face_off Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:12 pm
Instancing....I'll post details when available (it won't be in the first beta version).

Spline hair....I have successfully rendered ZBrush hair in Octane, and I would think that would be a similar number of polys, so it's certainly possible. As with instancing, it's something I'll look at after the core functionality is done.
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rcallicotte » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:04 pm

rcallicotte Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:04 pm
@FO -Any time frame for our expectations for completion? How much will the plugin cost?
rcallicotte
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Poser