Introducing the Octane for Poser plug-in

Forums: Introducing the Octane for Poser plug-in
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Introducing the Octane for Poser plug-in

Postby RayTracey » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:37 pm

RayTracey Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:37 pm
Hi everyone,

we're very proud to give you a sneak peak of Octane for Poser, a new in development integrated plug-in for Smith Micro's 3d modeling and animation package Poser, which is being developed by face_off.

The following video shows the latest progress:

PW = octane1865
[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/49571498[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/49571498

Note: Only fov, camera pos, camera direction and up direction are set by poser (not aperture as indicated in the video).
RayTracey
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Introducing the Octane for Poser plug-in

Postby Tugpsx » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:55 am

Tugpsx Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:55 am
Nice job.
Dell Win Vista 32 | NVIDIA Quadro NVS135M | Core2 Duo T7500 2.20GHz | 4GB
CyberPowerPC Win 7 64| NVIDIA GTX660Ti (3G) GTX480(1.5G) | 16GB
Tugpsx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:52 am

face_off Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:52 am
Thanks

I have been absolutely blown away with Octane. I've been getting incredible render results, with the standard Poser 9 figures and standard texturemaps, and pretty much no material shader tricks. And I've got pretty much the lowest standard card you would expect to use with Octane (GTX 550 Ti), which will soon be replaced.

The video does not cover the MaterialDB, saving settings and rendering animations, which will should be available in the system shortly.

I have also significantly reduced the load time of the scene from Poser to the plugin, so the sample scene, which took about 30 secs now only takes half that time.

Happy to answer questions or provide more details - just ask here.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby MEC4D » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:06 pm

MEC4D Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:06 pm
Well then you are not only the one that is blown away by Octane , and it is a surprise to see plugin so soon for Poser
I assume it works with Poser pro 2012 as well ?
I have a question what about the material room ? do the plugin convert exactly the materials from the Poser Material room, or is there a separate setting to tweak the material once the plugin is started to match the Octane standard? what about the Material Library from octane ? is there a way to integrate the materials from the O.Library while working on the scene ?
looking promising , so count me in for the beta testing

Cath
MEC4D
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gabrielefx » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:15 pm

gabrielefx Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:15 pm
very good...

but I think that the big deal is to port Octane for Solidworks or NX, many pro engineers and industries will buy it.
You will sell tons of licenses.
quad Titan Kepler 6GB + quad Titan X Pascal 12GB + quad GTX1080 8GB + dual GTX1080Ti 11GB
gabrielefx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:23 pm

face_off Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:23 pm
Thanks for the feedback.

I assume it works with Poser pro 2012 as well ?

Yes

I have a question what about the material room ? do the plugin convert exactly the materials from the Poser Material room, or is there a separate setting to tweak the material once the plugin is started to match the Octane standard?

This is still being tweaked, however the way it works at the moment is that when you first run the plugin on a scene, it extracts the texturemap, transmap, bump map, ambient value, diffuse settings and specular settings from each material, and then constructs Octane materials from these (according to some rules that the user can modify). So a complex node struct in Poser will convert to the same Octane material as a simple setup. Once the material is an Octane material, you can modify it as you would in the Octane application. When you re-run the plugin for that scene, it will remember all your Octane material settings (or you can re-import from the Poser materials).

In the plugin material tree, you can copy and paste materials, and you can apply presets (templates). From example, I have an SSS template for skin materials.

I think having all the material settings in one place (the plugin materials tree) makes the workflow much simpler for the user.

what about the Material Library from octane ? is there a way to integrate the materials from the O.Library while working on the scene ?

Any material from the Material Library will be able to be applied to a material in the plugin. I will provide screenshots of this once it's done.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby r-username » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:34 pm

r-username Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:34 pm
nice.
i7 960 - W7x64 - 12 GB - 2x GTX 780ti
http://www.startsimple.com/ - http://www.gigavr.com/
r-username
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby acc24ex » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:55 pm

acc24ex Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:55 pm
Nice implementation -
and yes why not port this implementation to c4d, modo, solidworks, inventor - is it more complex, or is it the user base that dictates development?
.. I could guess there are a lot more poser users then engineers
[size=85]3dmax, zbrush, UE
//Behance profile //BOONAR
//Octane render toolbox 3dsmax
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:31 am

face_off Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:31 am
why not port this implementation to c4d, modo, solidworks, inventor - is it more complex, or is it the user base that dictates development?

Each 3d app using a different plugin system, so an integrated Octane plugin needs to be custom written for each host application. Poser was an obvious choice for me because I had such a large codebase to call on from previous plugins I had developed (I wrote the PoserPhysics plugin).
Last edited by face_off on Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Zay » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Zay Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:30 pm
This is the best news I've heard this year :lol:

Some questions:

Will it be possible to make animations without reloading the scene?
Right now I save out all the OBJ's for animations and they of course have to be reloaded for every frame.

Will it be possible to save the scene as .OSC including OBJ and textures into a folder?
Almost all the time I need to edit the OBJ to subdivide low poly figures and objects in MODO or bake new textures as there are too many for the GFX card to handle. And I also reduce texture sizes in Photo Shop as there is also the texture limitation.

Will it be possible to remove all the nodes you don't want in one click, like removing all bump, specular maps etc., to keep the number of textures down? That is the biggest problem I have! You could also have an option to reuse the diffuse textures as a bump map texture which I do a lot.

I work with Poser and Octane almost every day, so if or when you need a beta tester, I'm there! :D
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Poser