Denoise in Poser 11 with 3060?

Forums: Denoise in Poser 11 with 3060?
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Denoise in Poser 11 with 3060?

Postby Nox » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:46 pm

Nox Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:46 pm
Hello,

my cards died because this year has had a grand start so I was forced to upgrade to new ones, which meant I had to upgrade to new version of Octane etc. etc. but I don't really want to give several hundred dollars to beta test a program I basically hate so I want to remain on Poser 11.

Poser 11
OctaneRender 2020.1.5
OctaneRender for Poser 2020.1.5.104
Nvidia RTX 3060 with 472.12 Drivers

I believe those are all the latest versions available.

Things work fine...for now...but there's no denoise option next to the card, see below;

I have scoured the forum and, apparently, 2020.1.5. version of Octane does have Denoiser enabled for 3xxx cards, so it depends on the plugin? I've read all the changelongs for the plugins, starting with the above one, but couldn't find any mention of it being implemented.

Is there a setting, or a driver/update, I am missing or does that version of Octane/Plugin not have it?
Also, why is there a question mark where cuda cores should be? Doesn't seem to matter, just curious.

Thank you for your time.
Nox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Denoise in Poser 11 with 3060?

Postby face_off » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:07 pm

face_off Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:07 pm
Does Octane Standalone show the Denoiser as being available?

I would strongly suggest upgrading to Poser 12 so you can stay current with the latest versions of Octane and the OctaneRender for Poser plugin.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Nox » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:36 pm

Nox Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:36 pm
Hey Paul, been a while. Glad you're still around and care.

Version 2020.1.5 shows the same Device settings as those of the plug-in; No Denoise checkbox and a question mark where CUDA cores should show. Going by your hunch, I went and downloaded 2020.2 and the Denoise is there, and it shows the proper amount of CUDA cores.

Please tell me I'm not literally one version behind on being able to use it? I just...

Is there any way to get the 2020.2 version plug-in to run in Poser 11 or using the Denoiser in some way? I've been working on these projects for five years, the end was in sight, and then my cards died and now the cards--I had to pay three times their MSRP and have left me penniless--will turn out to be worse than the four gen older ones they're replacing because they're literally a single update away from being useful?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Nox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:58 am

face_off Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:58 am
Is there any way to get the 2020.2 version plug-in to run in Poser 11
That's not possible, sorry. Poser 12 changed the version of python used for plugins, so it was a substantial re-write of the plugin to get it to work. So it's not possible to get the current codebase of the plugin to run on Poser 11.

As I said previously, I recommend upgrading to the latest Poser 12 version, as graphics cards and Nvidia drivers are being updated at a rate such that they do not work with older versions of Octane, or older Nvidia drivers. My guess is that upgrading to Poser 12 would be a fraction of the cost of your cards.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Nox » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:13 am

Nox Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:13 am
I'd rather just manually do it in postwork than give Bondware anymore money.

Thanks anyway, Paul. Take care.
Nox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Petec » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:15 am

Petec Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:15 am
Nox wrote:I'd rather just manually do it in postwork than give Bondware anymore money.

I feel your pain, and I am there. One way around it (although you're not going to like it) is if you have room for a 2nd gpu and are able to get your hands on a 20xx gpu, you can denoise on the 20xx while the 30xx does the heavy lifting.
Petec
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Nox » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:37 pm

Nox Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:37 pm
Petec wrote:
Nox wrote:I'd rather just manually do it in postwork than give Bondware anymore money.

I feel your pain, and I am there. One way around it (although you're not going to like it) is if you have room for a 2nd gpu and are able to get your hands on a 20xx gpu, you can denoise on the 20xx while the 30xx does the heavy lifting.

Yes, sure is a big coincidence that the update that makes the whole current range of cards effective just happens to be the one that forces us into Poser 12, which would gut everything in our content library using an old script...

I've looked into that option already. The issue, as you can guess, is getting my hands on a card at all. Although, there are those small, passive cards that may work, but *may* is the important word here. Such as:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/GEFORCE-Grap ... 07CMH5F9R/

But I am unsure if this would work, any experience with such things?
Nox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Petec » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:51 am

Petec Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:51 am
Nox wrote:
Petec wrote:

Yes, sure is a big coincidence that the update that makes the whole current range of cards effective just happens to be the one that forces us into Poser 12, which would gut everything in our content library using an old script...

I've looked into that option already. The issue, as you can guess, is getting my hands on a card at all. Although, there are those small, passive cards that may work, but *may* is the important word here. Such as:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/GEFORCE-Grap ... 07CMH5F9R/

But I am unsure if this would work, any experience with such things?

I think there are few of us as it is running Poser + Octane that it probably isn't worth it to Otoy to keep things up to date on old versions of Poser. So, I don't blame them for that. Sucks for us though.

Hmm, mixing a 1030 gtx with an rtx card... A while back I DID run an old gtx 780 and an rtx 2080 in the same rig with no issues, rendering on the 2080 alone or both cards. That said, it may have been before the denoiser was a thing. If the denoiser works with a gtx card I don't see why it couldn't work?
Petec
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:19 am

wimvdb Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:19 am
One option which has not been mentioned, is to export your final scene in the plugin to an orbx and use that one to finish the render in Octane standalone with the denoise option enabled.
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Nox » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:01 pm

Nox Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:01 pm
Apologies for not touching base sooner, I was waiting for the card to arrive.

I was worried how a GTX card would behave with an RTX and usual problems that would arise from such things, but can confirm that they both seem to work fine. In fact, the 710 seems to have automatically grabbed the same drivers.
Denoise now works on it, and that's all it does. Which is good.

I now have the same abilities and speed I had with a Titan X (Maxwell) and Octane v4. Just for a great deal more money and a forced subscription model I can not fully utilize. But I can continue my projects without Poser 12 destroying them so...

@wimvdb That was the first thing I tried. But my projects consist of a great deal of frames and it would just not be a viable option to move them after each new pose. Also, when I did try to move the scene from 2020.1.5 plugin to the latest version, it did not work either.

I hope this post helps someone but hope even more nobody's naive enough to end up in a situation like this.

Take care.
Nox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Poser