Use two or more Nvidia Tesla m40s to render

Forums: Use two or more Nvidia Tesla m40s to render
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Use two or more Nvidia Tesla m40s to render

Postby hiram67 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:58 pm

hiram67 Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:58 pm
Hello everyone, as per the title of the post, I wanted to know if with Poser and the octane plugin you can use 2 or more nvidia tesla m40 and if so how should the settings be made.
My idea is to create a workstation with a CPU with integrated GPU and at least 2 tesla m40 to render, but before buying I wanted to know the feasibility of my idea and any settings to be made.
Thank you
hiram67
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Use two or more Nvidia Tesla m40s to render

Postby face_off » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:38 pm

face_off Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:38 pm
I am not a hardware person, so check elsewhere in these forum for a more accurate answer. Yes, you can render with multiple cards, as long as your power supply can handle them. The Tesla m40 card is quite old, and I am not sure of Octane still supports these cards, so I would recommend using a more recent card.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Use two or more Nvidia Tesla m40s to render

Postby spartan00j » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:25 pm

spartan00j Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:25 pm
hiram67 wrote:Hello everyone, as per the title of the post, I wanted to know if with Poser and the octane plugin you can use 2 or more nvidia tesla m40 and if so how should the settings be made.
My idea is to create a workstation with a CPU with integrated GPU and at least 2 tesla m40 to render, but before buying I wanted to know the feasibility of my idea and any settings to be made.
Thank you

Do not do it. It's not feasible. I did several tests on Tesla K20s before.
My verdict is it's best to buy consumer-grade cards. One of the reasons is that they are friendlier to your wallets when concerning TDP. The power draw of just the Tesla M40 is 240 Watts. And you only get an octane score of 121. It has for reference you get a similar octane rendering score with a GTX 1070. And it only has a TDP of 150 w. But that's with gaming. Octane with all my testing never thermal throttles the card they're literally always at idle power draw for the most part. So that GTX 1070 w would most likely be around 50 or 60 watts. But Tesla cards are meant to run full power draw all the time. At least that's my suspicion but don't quote me on that. But the bottom line is you'll get more bang for your buck buying consumer-grade cards used for gaming than the high end cards use mostly in server racks or data centers.

And always pay attention to the power draw. With my testing years ago with three GTX 580s running non-stop rendering test. My electric bill went up 200 extra dollars within a month's time in an apartment building. :lol:

I learned my lesson that month.
Lesson 1: TDP matters.
Lesson 2: GTX 580s are power Hogs.
With the 3 GTX 580s I got a Max Rendering score of around 156. But similar test with 3 GTX 950s was about 132. But since the cards are basically idling when rendering. My wallet barily felt a hit with those GTX 950s with my power bill.

My advice is to buy an RTX 30 series of any kind. Instead of Tesla cards. My one 3060 TI gets a score of 366. But you will have to buy three Tesla m40s to match that. And again the power draw from the 3 cards versus the 1.
Hope this Helps
Win 10
Threadripper 1920x
128GB RAM
RTX 3060 TI
spartan00j
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Poser