OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.6 - 75 [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.6 - 75 [OBSOLETE]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.6 - 75 [Test]

Postby Tugpsx » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:57 pm

Tugpsx Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:57 pm
Here are a couple of scripts from 2014 which we used for animated textures. They may prove useful in the Daz version.
Attachments
AnimatedTexture.lua
(2 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
anim_texture.lua
(2.01 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Dell Win Vista 32 | NVIDIA Quadro NVS135M | Core2 Duo T7500 2.20GHz | 4GB
CyberPowerPC Win 7 64| NVIDIA GTX660Ti (3G) GTX480(1.5G) | 16GB
Tugpsx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Testing the new templates

Postby toby_a » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:08 am

toby_a Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:08 am
sudisk wrote:Hello,

I've been playing with the new template configuration and as for setting it up, it is great. I haven't tested the manual entry yet, but the menus and selections, when the material is connected or not to a surface, are nicely done. Thanks.

As for applying the templates, there are still some inconsistencies.
Here is my setup. I tested with a base Gen8 character face but I checked and the behavior is the same with any material.
I have a template material derived from the Redspec materials, on which I set up the new templates. I have set Translucency on transmission, Diffuse, Bump, Normals left unchanged from the original material, with modified parameters, and the Specular map is used twice. The first use is for general reflectivity, and the second one is to emphasize wetness a bit. I set a default map for the normal with the "Keep previous" checkbox active because the base Gen8 material does not have normals. The default normal map was created from the Gen8 bump map with "Materialize". I start applying the template with a blank material attached to the surface.
1. The "default" maps are still not applied, even if they are declared as templates (diffuse, opacity, bump, normal). Fixing this could be a good way to make things close to what DAZ users are used to when appying materials.
2. The behavior of the template application is not constant.
  • When I apply the template from the presets, I have the Transmission/Translucency map applied, and only one of the Specular maps, but not both. None of the diffuse, opacity, bump maps are applied. The normal map remains the default and is not unset. (see attachment Face_from_preset.JPG)
  • I reapply the blank material, then the template material from the unused materials, and then all the maps are applied, except the Specular map that was previously applied. (see attachment Face_from_unused_1.JPG)
  • I reapply the blank material, then the template material from the unused materials, and it's like when I applied the material from the presets again.
3. I tried something else then. I applied twice the material from the preset, making a copy in the unused materials, and I cycled applying both template materials instead of switching back to the blank. I get a cycle between no base maps applied and all base maps applied, with either one of the two specular maps applied, cycling too. (Face_from_unused_2.JPG and Face_from_unused_3.JPG)
4. I tried reapplying the DAZ materials, leaving the template Octane materials connected, and we are back to square one.

I will keep doing tests. If you could fix the initial loading and the issue with multiple maps with the same reference from DAZ shaders, I think that it would become possible to package a material set that could be applied over a DAZ material without further modification.

Thank you for this report. Everything sounds like a bug of some sort to me - I'd have expected that applying a template material to a surface, no matter how, would result in replacing all the templated textures. I'll have a look into this and hopefully we can make it work much more predictably. It'll probably be a couple of weeks at least before any fixes in this area make it out, so please feel free to keep reporting things that seem odd.

Thanks,
Toby.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Hun73rdk_1 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:59 am

Hun73rdk_1 Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:59 am
Really want to have a way to limit samples in region renders. its annoying when i have to make blinking eyes i have to sit and wait for it to hit that amount of samples or have to render full images and cut the stuff out i need and loose a ton of render time
Join the Octane Daz Fan server for people that uses daz and octane https://discord.gg/wDzwC8tqAK
Hun73rdk_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:45 am

toby_a Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:45 am
Hun73rdk_1 wrote:Really want to have a way to limit samples in region renders. its annoying when i have to make blinking eyes i have to sit and wait for it to hit that amount of samples or have to render full images and cut the stuff out i need and loose a ton of render time

The engine doesn't directly support setting a sample limit for region renders. In Standalone there is an additional feature called "Film region" which limits the rendering to a certain region like region render but it does stop at the max samples. However, it causes the render outside the region to be black rather than leaving it unchanged and there is no feathering, so I'm not sure if that would be useful for you.

Can you elaborate a bit on what is annoying about the current render region behavior? You say you have to wait for it to hit the number of samples but you would have to wait even if it stopped there - are you worried about having too many samples in that region? Why is that a problem?
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Hun73rdk_1 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:54 am

Hun73rdk_1 Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:54 am
toby_a wrote:
Hun73rdk_1 wrote:Really want to have a way to limit samples in region renders. its annoying when i have to make blinking eyes i have to sit and wait for it to hit that amount of samples or have to render full images and cut the stuff out i need and loose a ton of render time

The engine doesn't directly support setting a sample limit for region renders. In Standalone there is an additional feature called "Film region" which limits the rendering to a certain region like region render but it does stop at the max samples. However, it causes the render outside the region to be black rather than leaving it unchanged and there is no feathering, so I'm not sure if that would be useful for you.

Can you elaborate a bit on what is annoying about the current render region behavior? You say you have to wait for it to hit the number of samples but you would have to wait even if it stopped there - are you worried about having too many samples in that region? Why is that a problem?

If i don't hit the same sample size you can see it in renpy if a layer a blinking animation on top of the static render due to the samples not being the same and it will look ugly in daz with iray the region render only renders the spot i have set and stop at the samples i had set that.
if that Film region region only renders that spot and does it way faster then its all good i don't need the rest of the render if its just black but if it does not go faster then its useless feature.
Join the Octane Daz Fan server for people that uses daz and octane https://discord.gg/wDzwC8tqAK
Hun73rdk_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:52 am

toby_a Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:52 am
Hun73rdk_1 wrote:
toby_a wrote:

If i don't hit the same sample size you can see it in renpy if a layer a blinking animation on top of the static render due to the samples not being the same and it will look ugly in daz with iray the region render only renders the spot i have set and stop at the samples i had set that.
if that Film region region only renders that spot and does it way faster then its all good i don't need the rest of the render if its just black but if it does not go faster then its useless feature.

Ah, I see, thanks. I'll add the film region feature into a future version and hopefully that will help you out.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.6 - 75 [OBSOLETE]

Postby toby_a » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:28 am

toby_a Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:28 am
New test version: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=80374
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Previous

Return to DAZ Studio