OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.5 - 69 [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.5 - 69 [OBSOLETE]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.5 - 69 [OBSOLETE]

Postby toby_a » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:38 am

toby_a Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:38 am
This is the recommended thread for downloading, and posting any questions, suggestions or support queries for OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - TEST (ie. pre-release) and STABLE releases.

SOLUTIONS TO COMMON ISSUES

1) Make sure your NVIDIA drivers are up to date.

2) Make sure you are running the latest version of the OctaneRender for DAZStudio plugin.

3) If you experience a DAZStudio crash - deleting C:\Users\[username]\OctaneRender\Data\OctaneRender_settings.oczdb may resolve the issue.
This also resolves the "COULD NOT INITIALISE IN-MEMORY DB!" error on startup and a number of other issues.

4) If the Save button is disabled when using the Final button - disable the Final button and in Render settings select the SuperScope (2:1) Size / aspect ratio and drag the Viewport height or width until you reach required resolution.

5) If rendering an animation fails after 11 frames - make sure the DAZStudio viewport is visible when you render the animation.

6) If Octane materials are not loading when you load a previously saved scene - tick Preferences->Load OctaneRender materials from .duf user presets. If ticking this option does not stick between DAZStudio restarts, delete OctaneRender_settings.oczdb as per NOTE 3 above.

7) If you get a "Could not save a frame for X times!" - please refer to the thread at [url]
[/url] for potential solutions.

8) If you get a "Bogus Scene Path" error - this is due to having an apostrophe in the filepath of a texturemap (so store your textures in foldernames which do not have apostrophes).

9) Octane panel title bar is off the screen and cannot be closed - click anywhere on the Octane panel and then press Alt-F4.

10) Rendering animation results in the scene emitter intensities changing - this is because rendering animations is done in "Final" mode, where meshes are merged. To resolve this, UNTICK the Preferences->Use Combined Mesh, or ENABLE the Surface Brightness pin on each of the emission materials in the scene.

11) Denoiser is not working - make sure you have a graphics card selected for Denoising in the System tab->Open Device Settings window, and that you are using the Path Tracing kernel.

12) Render artifacts near eyebrows - this is due to the eyebrow geometry going inside the head mesh surface. So morph, move or scale the eyebrows so they do not intersect with the head mesh.

13) Octane panes do not appear on the screen (ie. they open off the screen) - Main Menu Bar->Window->Workspace->Select Layout->Accept (you might choose a different layout to the current layout to make this work).

KNOWN ISSUES AWAITING RESOLUTION

1) Visible Environment, Custom LUT, Panoramic camera and OSL nodes are not currently supported.

2) Templating is not currently working for specular and roughness maps from Iray materials. - FIXED (please report any issues)

3) UDIM Tiles are not currently supported.

4) Some of the newer OctaneRender material and texture types are not supported.

DAZ Studio Version
DAZ Studio 4.8 or later on Windows 8, 10 or 11 64bit

To use this version, you need a GPU of compute model 3.0 or higher. Support for Fermi GPUs (like GTX 4xx and 5xx) has been dropped.
Also, make sure you use an Nvidia Studio driver of version 451.xx or higher.

Network Rendering

For Network Rendering, you must use the OctaneRender Enterprise Node release from the Octane Standalone forums/download page which matches the exact Octane version of the plugin you are using. This version matches OctaneRender Enterprise 2021.1.5 Render Node builds.

Support Issues
If you have a support issue, pls provide the following information:
- Operating System (ie. Win 8, 10, 11)
- Amount of RAM
- Graphics Card(s) - model (ie. GTX 580, 3GB)
- Nvidia driver version
- DAZ Studio version
- OctaneRender for DAZ Studio version (e.g. 2021.1.5_69)

- The most important part of resolving a problem is being able to reproduce that problem. So pls provide as much detail as possible in order for me to do this, and if the problem is specific to the scene, send me the scene.

Change logs since 2021.1.5 - 68 [Test]

• Add Glossy Roughness to the list of Daz texture channels for use in template materials
  • Always save the denoised beauty render pass when animating with denoising enabled
  • Fix transforms of children of instanced nodes
  • Don't leave post-processing off until render is completed for final and animation
  • Respect "Use combined mesh" setting for animation and alembic export
  • Change the default value of "Use combined mesh" to false
  • Properly restore geometry and camera nodes after alembic export
  • Fix missing last frame in alembic export
  • Perform alembic export on the main thread
  • Enable interactive smoothing for all final renders, not just animation
  • Fix live view not refreshing following animation

Download Links

Please feel free to report any issues you encounter.

Happy rendering
Your OTOY team
Last edited by toby_a on Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.5 - 69 [Test]

Postby toby_a » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:10 am

toby_a Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:10 am
Hi. I'd really appreciate it if everyone who tests out this version would turn OFF the "Use combined mesh" setting in the Preferences tab. This setting now affects Final and Animation renders and Alembic export (previously it only affected Final renders). We plan to remove the "Use combined mesh" feature entirely soon because it makes it difficult to add support for new types of geometry, so the more testing we can get with it turned off, the better.

Please post in this topic if it causes any issues.

Thanks,
Toby.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Hun73rdk_1 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:40 pm

Hun73rdk_1 Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:40 pm
toby_a wrote:Hi. I'd really appreciate it if everyone who tests out this version would turn OFF the "Use combined mesh" setting in the Preferences tab. This setting now affects Final and Animation renders and Alembic export (previously it only affected Final renders). We plan to remove the "Use combined mesh" feature entirely soon because it makes it difficult to add support for new types of geometry, so the more testing we can get with it turned off, the better.

Thanks,
Toby.

Thank you again for all your hard work making the plugin better its nice to see
Join the Octane Daz Fan server for people that uses daz and octane https://discord.gg/wDzwC8tqAK
Hun73rdk_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abayliss » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:03 am

abayliss Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:03 am
toby_a wrote:Hi. I'd really appreciate it if everyone who tests out this version would turn OFF the "Use combined mesh" setting in the Preferences tab. This setting now affects Final and Animation renders and Alembic export (previously it only affected Final renders). We plan to remove the "Use combined mesh" feature entirely soon because it makes it difficult to add support for new types of geometry, so the more testing we can get with it turned off, the better.

Thanks,
Toby.

My two cents on this, is that the "Use combined mesh" feature is often the only way you can fix the frequent issue of geometry in the OctaneDaz render being out of sync with its actual facing and location in Daz, without unloading and reloading scene, which can often take ages.

Unless you are going actually fix this issue, it would be nice if you didn't remove one of the only tools we have to work around it.
Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-8700 3.2 GHz, 64GB RAM
2 x RTX 2080ti
abayliss
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:07 pm

toby_a Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:07 pm
abayliss wrote:My two cents on this, is that the "Use combined mesh" feature is often the only way you can fix the frequent issue of geometry in the OctaneDaz render being out of sync with its actual facing and location in Daz, without unloading and reloading scene, which can often take ages.

Unless you are going actually fix this issue, it would be nice if you didn't remove one of the only tools we have to work around it.

Hi, thank you for speaking up!

Of course, we have no intention of removing the only workaround for a known bug.

This version (69) fixes a problem where geometry changes stop updating the Octane render, so I encourage you to try it out and see if the problem you've been seeing is still there. The particular problem that was fixed in this version was triggered by doing an animation render. If you still see the problem, please report back with as much detail about what triggers it as you can.

Cheers,
Toby.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Hun73rdk_1 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:13 pm

Hun73rdk_1 Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:13 pm
abayliss wrote:

Thanks,
Toby.

My two cents on this, is that the "Use combined mesh" feature is often the only way you can fix the frequent issue of geometry in the OctaneDaz render being out of sync with its actual facing and location in Daz, without unloading and reloading scene, which can often take ages.

you dont need to reload a scene into daz to get octane to make de face the same way just force reload in octane viewport takes like 20 to 60 sec for me
Join the Octane Daz Fan server for people that uses daz and octane https://discord.gg/wDzwC8tqAK
Hun73rdk_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SiliconAya » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:08 am

SiliconAya Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:08 am
abayliss wrote:

Thanks,
Toby.

As mentioned above reload forced often works, rebuild scene is another options and the one I use most often now days, smaller scenes only take a few seconds for Octane to reload/rebuild, but not matter if it's a small or big scenes it's a lot faster than reloading the scene in DS. Bother options are under the reload button in the Octane viewport .
SiliconAya
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:21 pm

rajib Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:21 pm
Hello Toby,

It has been a long while since I updated my plugin because nothing really was being done other than just compile with the latest version of the Octane library and the bugs continued to be there. In fact had not even looked at the past few updates. But good to see finally there is some progress.

Some issues are still there :
1. I tested scenes with instances that would show messed up in the Octane Viewport until I did a reload scene. I still see the issue exists since the 2020 version of the plugin. Though yes, the early 2021 series of the plugin was even worse. No amount of reloading scene would resolve the instances being wrongly placed. Hence my sticking to the very old 2020 version of the plugin. At least in this version I am able to do the reload scene and it behaves the same way as the 2020 plugin. So I guess I am happy to finally see the workaround work in the 2021 series of the plugin. But still not fully resolved.

2. Smart unfold is still missing from most of the main material nodes - Mix Material, Diffuse Material, Glossy Material, Universal Material, Specular Material, Toon Material, Metallic Material, Hair Material. Please fix those. The other nodes do seem to have the Smart unfold option though I have not tried it on every material type yet. Please re-implement the Smart unfold for the main materials I mentioned as it is extremely useful and it has been a pain to use / manage materials since it was removed. I hope this will be taken up as a priority.

Just did a quick test for now so the above is what I noticed. I will report on other things I find as I test more of my scenes.

Best regards,
Rajib
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:44 pm

toby_a Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:44 pm
rajib wrote:Hello Toby,

It has been a long while since I updated my plugin because nothing really was being done other than just compile with the latest version of the Octane library and the bugs continued to be there. In fact had not even looked at the past few updates. But good to see finally there is some progress.

Hi, Rajib. Thank you for trying the latest version and sharing your experience.

rajib wrote:Some issues are still there :
1. I tested scenes with instances that would show messed up in the Octane Viewport until I did a reload scene. I still see the issue exists since the 2020 version of the plugin. Though yes, the early 2021 series of the plugin was even worse. No amount of reloading scene would resolve the instances being wrongly placed. Hence my sticking to the very old 2020 version of the plugin. At least in this version I am able to do the reload scene and it behaves the same way as the 2020 plugin. So I guess I am happy to finally see the workaround work in the 2021 series of the plugin. But still not fully resolved.

Are you able to share any more information about this issue with instances? Ideal would be if you can reproduce it with a simple scene you can share with me, but even a description of how the scene is structured and what the problem looks like would be helpful. Feel free to message me privately if there's any info you don't want to share publicly.

rajib wrote:2. Smart unfold is still missing from most of the main material nodes - Mix Material, Diffuse Material, Glossy Material, Universal Material, Specular Material, Toon Material, Metallic Material, Hair Material. Please fix those. The other nodes do seem to have the Smart unfold option though I have not tried it on every material type yet. Please re-implement the Smart unfold for the main materials I mentioned as it is extremely useful and it has been a pain to use / manage materials since it was removed. I hope this will be taken up as a priority.

I have to admit that I don't really know what the Smart Unfold feature is supposed to do or be used for. Would you be able to briefly describe how you would like to use it in your workflow? I will definitely add this to my list and try to figure out what it's supposed to do and why it was removed.

rajib wrote:Just did a quick test for now so the above is what I noticed. I will report on other things I find as I test more of my scenes.

Best regards,
Rajib

Thank you, it's much appreciated!

Cheers,
Toby.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby TRRazor » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:08 am

TRRazor Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:08 am
I have to admit that I don't really know what the Smart Unfold feature is supposed to do or be used for. Would you be able to briefly describe how you would like to use it in your workflow? I will definitely add this to my list and try to figure out what it's supposed to do and why it was removed.

Smart unfold was a feature of the NGE that let you quickly unfold a particular material making its full material-tree / node-set-up visible in the NGE. (read: Collapse all sub-materials of a particular material and their respective connected nodes and textures, so you could edit the nodes and textures faster and easier without having to double-click each and every node first to collapse them by hand manually.)

It was disabled two or so years ago, since the function could crash the plug-in, when certain materials where combined, respectively, when the material set-up was very complex.
W10 64 bit | i7 3770K | MSI Geforce RTX 2080 (8GB) + GTX Titan Black (6GB) | 32 GB DDR3 RAM
TRRazor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to DAZ Studio