Hair shading

Forums: Hair shading
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Hair shading

Postby cridgit » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:52 pm

cridgit Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:52 pm
I've tried using the LiveDB hair shaders (all one or two of them) and they don't give better results than the auto materials.

Tried lots of different hairs and tried auto materials from Iray and tried changing glossy settings but my hair looks like wood in Octane.

Are there any hair shaders available or am I supposed to craft my own from scratch in Octane?
cridgit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Hair shading

Postby Sorel » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:14 am

Sorel Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:14 am
I assume this is for hair that uses transparency maps? I would go for a diffuse/glossy mix material. Specular nodes give strange results, most likely because most daz hairs dont have actual volume. You can also add a displacement map at low values to give some volume but it will increase render times.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Hair shading

Postby sudisk » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:48 am

sudisk Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:48 am
Hello,

I try to "replicate" as much as possible the structure of the DAZ hair surface when I work on the hair shader. Therefore the hair will have at least one combo diffuse/glossy shaders, possibly two if there is a gradient with a transition/alpha map. I usually plug all the maps used in the original hair and add correction nodes for adjustments. Sometimes I use the free Materialize tool to generate additional maps (specularity/roughness) if they were not provided.

I noticed that OOT hairs also have another layer on the hair, and I use a specular shader for that layer.

I try not to put any displacement as the toll on the render time is huge.
sudisk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio