Update on DAZStudio plugin development

Forums: Update on DAZStudio plugin development
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: Update on DAZStudio plugin development

Postby mikefix » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:13 am

mikefix Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:13 am
Sorel wrote:
mikefix wrote:Does this plugin work with Daz 4.20? I've tried installing it multiple times and it still doesn't appear in Daz. I use the Daz install manager for the installation. Any help would be appreciated!

???
There is no DIM install for the octane plugin. Are you talking about the octane render kit over at daz? Cause all that is is presets for the plugin.

My mistake, yes, I was talking about the Render Kit over at Daz. Thought this was the same. I just found the plugin on the Otoy site and downloaded it. Will give it a try now.

Thank you!
mikefix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:47 pm

Sorel Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:47 pm
BK, will we get 2021.3 soon?
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:30 am

BK Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:30 am
Sorel wrote:BK, will we get 2021.3 soon?

Hi Sorel,
Thanks to our dev for the quick build.
We have just released the 2021.1.3 (viewtopic.php?f=44&t=79410&p=410296#p410296) :D

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Sorel » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:52 am

Sorel Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:52 am
Thanks a bunch!
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Thu May 12, 2022 2:15 am

Sorel Thu May 12, 2022 2:15 am
Is there anything new to report yet? :|
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby delguy » Fri May 20, 2022 6:26 pm

delguy Fri May 20, 2022 6:26 pm
We have not seen any real progress on this plugin except moving it to a new version of Octane Render. OTOY how can your team be so shamelessly incompetent and irresponsible.
delguy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Laticis » Sun May 22, 2022 4:25 am

Laticis Sun May 22, 2022 4:25 am
The DAZ/Octane integration/workflow when first initialized and was so exciting and promising. I recommended it to so many people....but Otoy dropped the ball for DAZ users.

I keep popping in from time to time to see if anything has changed and if it was worth reinvesting...I can see that's a big no.

I'll stick with the free version. Covers my current limited use/needs.
Laticis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby birdovous » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:50 pm

birdovous Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:50 pm
So... What's the story with the Octane plugin for DAZ?

I'm asking because yesterday I found out that the legacy Version 4 of the plugin (the last one available before the switch to the subscription based licensing model) no longer works with DAZ Studio 4.20, so I'm stuck with DAZ 4.15 which seems to be the last working version.

I'm also using a main workstation and two network render nodes, so upgrading would be relatively costly and seeing that the only "progress" of the DAZ plugin seems to be either just a simple recompile of the same plugin in order to support new version of the Octane library without actually adding any new functionality that the new version of Octane brings, or even removing features from the plugin because bugs were discovered and since there is no real active developer actively working on the plugin, disabling those functions seems to be the way of fixing the bugs without actually doing anything to really fix them...

So, is the DAZ plugin now just a clickbait/moneygrab/scam with no real future planned for it or is there a light at the end of the tunnel that is an actual light and not a freight train going in the opposite direction?
Birdovous
Master: Core i7 2600K, 32GB RAM, 2x EVGA GTX Titan X (SC)
Slave 1: Core i5 4460, 16GB RAM, 2x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
Slave 2: Core i7 9700K, 64GB RAM, 2x ASUS RTX 2080 Ti
birdovous
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby huakiami » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:23 pm

huakiami Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:23 pm
birdovous wrote:So... What's the story with the Octane plugin for DAZ?

Have you not read through any of the release threads for the past couple of months...? OTOY finally hired a developer to work on the Daz plugin and in the last 3 months we've gotten more new features and fixes than in all of the past several years.

Some high level notes:
- All surface parameters can now be templated
- Daz strand based hair is now supported
- Render SubD resolution in Daz is now supported
- Missing Octane texture and generator nodes have been added
- The ImageTiles node has been added (UDIM)
- Missing Octane material nodes have been added (including the Layered Material everyone wanted)
- Smart Unfold was fixed and re-added
- Textures with special characters in their path (like '&') now load properly in saved scenes
- Instancing issues have been fixed
- OCIO support has been added

These are just off the top of my head. Browse through the release threads in the forum and check the change logs if you want to see everything added/updated.

Obviously you'd have to purchase a subscription to take advantage of the all these updates and have network rendering. But if you're skeptical (which I understand), I'd advise just getting the Prime Tier and testing out the latest build with just 1 GPU. If it seems satisfactory to you, consider subscribing; if it's not, then just save your money.

If you're expecting updates to the legacy version... I doubt that's in the pipeline, but I won't speak for OTOY.
huakiami
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby birdovous » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:07 am

birdovous Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:07 am
huakiami wrote:
birdovous wrote:So... What's the story with the Octane plugin for DAZ?

Have you not read through any of the release threads for the past couple of months...? OTOY finally hired a developer to work on the Daz plugin and in the last 3 months we've gotten more new features and fixes than in all of the past several years.

Some high level notes:
- All surface parameters can now be templated
- Daz strand based hair is now supported
- Render SubD resolution in Daz is now supported
- Missing Octane texture and generator nodes have been added
- The ImageTiles node has been added (UDIM)
- Missing Octane material nodes have been added (including the Layered Material everyone wanted)
- Smart Unfold was fixed and re-added
- Textures with special characters in their path (like '&') now load properly in saved scenes
- Instancing issues have been fixed
- OCIO support has been added

These are just off the top of my head. Browse through the release threads in the forum and check the change logs if you want to see everything added/updated.

Obviously you'd have to purchase a subscription to take advantage of the all these updates and have network rendering. But if you're skeptical (which I understand), I'd advise just getting the Prime Tier and testing out the latest build with just 1 GPU. If it seems satisfactory to you, consider subscribing; if it's not, then just save your money.

If you're expecting updates to the legacy version... I doubt that's in the pipeline, but I won't speak for OTOY.

Thank you for the reply. Truth be told, seeing historically the way the DAZ plugin has been neglected I kind of lost hope years ago and the observed incompatibility of the legacy Octane Plugin, that I'm still using, with the latest version of DAZ made me to go here and ask the question.

I'm definitely not expecting the old plugin version receiving an update to be supported with new DAZ branches. I have been expecting that this day may come and I was fearing it whenever I updated my DAZ Studio.
Birdovous
Master: Core i7 2600K, 32GB RAM, 2x EVGA GTX Titan X (SC)
Slave 1: Core i5 4460, 16GB RAM, 2x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
Slave 2: Core i7 9700K, 64GB RAM, 2x ASUS RTX 2080 Ti
birdovous
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio