Objects not ending up where they should be in Octane window

Forums: Objects not ending up where they should be in Octane window
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Objects not ending up where they should be in Octane window

Postby SparkieShock » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:39 am

SparkieShock Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:39 am
Hi .. I've seen this a few times where certain objects in DAZ window are NOT shown where they should be. I have a feeling this is due to Octane not reading DAZ's Scale, rotation and location correctly. It doesn't happen often but every now and then this happens and it's a pain in the arse.

Here's an example. The crown of this watch is squashed a bit and offset to the right .. also the helium escape valve crown (bottom left) is clearly a millimeter or two lower than it should be .. and there's a distinct gap between the bracelet and the top left lug of the watch case. Compare to the DAZ window you'll see what I mean.

I realize these are tiny defects .. but this has happened with bigger objects not showing up where they should. In most cases these objects are parented to a person who has been scaled or changed .. and the watch itself has been scaled in order to fit the wrist, and sometimes stretched. But regardless of that .. if it looks okay in the DAZ window .. WHY? .. is not the same as in the Octane window? Is there any way to sort out these positions of objects just rendering in Octane wherever they want?

Leo watch - DAZ window.JPG
DAZ Window .. with objects where they should be.

No gap.JPG
No gap between bracelet and lug in DAZ

Leo's Watch.jpg
Octane render .. parts of the watch are NOT where they should be.

Big gap.jpg
Big gap .. Bracelet has been moved from where it is in DAZ.

Any help would be appreciated.
Win 10 Pro Edition - Intel i0 10900X - X299 MB - 128GB's KINGSTON FURY 3200 RAM - 2x RTX A6000 GPU's - 1300 Watt Power
DAZ3D - BLENDER - OCTANE STANDALONE and PLUGIN FOR DAZ - OCTANE PRIME for DAZ
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Objects not ending up where they should be in Octane window

Postby valzheimer » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:53 am

valzheimer Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:53 am
There's things you can try:

- from Octane viewport use Reload/Rebuild scene in case that geometry is positioned off that should put it back in place
- check the material settings, for displacement/bump settings or refraction that may be affecting the look of material in Octane render making it appear thinner (you can run clean clay render or load all materials as blank to see what the actual geometry alone looks). also smoothing and round edges may affect the look
- check if mesh resolution matches on both iray and octane viewports, Iray uses render subdivision to render while octane sees only the viewport subdivision level (render one is reserved for Iray only)

V.
valzheimer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SparkieShock » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:20 pm

SparkieShock Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:20 pm
valzheimer wrote:There's things you can try:

- from Octane viewport use Reload/Rebuild scene in case that geometry is positioned off that should put it back in place
- check the material settings, for displacement/bump settings or refraction that may be affecting the look of material in Octane render making it appear thinner (you can run clean clay render or load all materials as blank to see what the actual geometry alone looks). also smoothing and round edges may affect the look
- check if mesh resolution matches on both iray and octane viewports, Iray uses render subdivision to render while octane sees only the viewport subdivision level (render one is reserved for Iray only)

V.

Yeah I tried all that. Sadly it's not helping.
I see this problem all the time with Eyes ... they're supposed to be looking in a specific direction .. but the Octane render is off by a certain amount .. so I have to have them look more side to side in order to get where I want them. It just tells me that the co-ordinates of the models are not being read properly by octane.
Win 10 Pro Edition - Intel i0 10900X - X299 MB - 128GB's KINGSTON FURY 3200 RAM - 2x RTX A6000 GPU's - 1300 Watt Power
DAZ3D - BLENDER - OCTANE STANDALONE and PLUGIN FOR DAZ - OCTANE PRIME for DAZ
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:53 pm

rajib Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:53 pm
I think the geometry in octane is different than that in Daz. I think they apply some kind of vertices optimization (convert to triangles) that does change things a bit.

Here is a simple scene with a cube displayed in Daz Viewport and Octane Viewport as a Wireframce. You can see Daz is using Quads, while Octane is using Triangles.
OctaneGeometry.jpg
Daz vs Octane

To see the Wireframe of the scene under Octane, in the Octane Viewport, under Render Passes, scroll down until you see Wireframe - OFF. You can click on it to see how Octane is treating the geometry. It will create the wireframe render pass that you can switch to to see the wireframe (Title Wire).

Subdivision / rounding / smoothing of things do tend to look different in Daz and Octane. That is what I have noticed. But as I only look at the Octane output, I don't bother with how it looks under Daz.
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Zay » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:39 pm

Zay Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:39 pm
rajib wrote:I think the geometry in octane is different than that in Daz.

Geometry needs to be converted to something the GPU understands. And that is triangles.
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio