The Octane Plug In is Massively Slowing Down Daz Studio

Forums: The Octane Plug In is Massively Slowing Down Daz Studio
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: The Octane Plug In is Massively Slowing Down Daz Studio

Postby tikiman3d » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:20 am

tikiman3d Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:20 am
I have to confirm this as well.

I've never had this before as I do heavy animation work and I've used Octane for a couple of years now.
I have a simple scene: One figure animated (700 frames ) wearing clothes.

With the octane plugin enabled I get playback lag issues.

When I disengage the plugin (in the about installed plugins section) and restart, the same scene runs smooth.
tikiman3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby crackfox » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:46 pm

crackfox Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:46 pm
i decided trying octane daz3d aswell, since blender plugin behaves oddly. the rendering times are very bad and inconsistent but blender support says it works so i guess its fine then. it just sucks to be me, that is all.
unreal has orbx vdb problem, no particle support - i asked for an ETA, the dev wont even answer.

here i have an animated character with a shirt/button and pants,shoes,glasses.

the scene not only lags - clicking anything on the screen basically freezes daz3d and i have to use task manager to shut it down.
now i have to delete octane plugin altogether if i want to work on the project at all.
kind of funny at this point. every plugin i tried has some problem or other, often showstopping like in daz.

it would be shocking but actually i am not even surprised at this point.
absolute shambles.
crackfox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:23 pm

face_off Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:23 pm
crackfox wrote:i decided trying octane daz3d aswell, since blender plugin behaves oddly. the rendering times are very bad and inconsistent but blender support says it works so i guess its fine then. it just sucks to be me, that is all.
unreal has orbx vdb problem, no particle support - i asked for an ETA, the dev wont even answer.

the scene not only lags - clicking anything on the screen basically freezes daz3d and i have to use task manager to shut it down.
now i have to delete octane plugin altogether if i want to work on the project at all.
kind of funny at this point. every plugin i tried has some problem or other, often showstopping like in daz.

absolute shambles.
No one has yet sent me a scene using the stock/free DAZ products which reproduces this issue, so I have not been able to investigate it. If you send me a scene, I will take a look.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby valzheimer » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:51 am

valzheimer Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:51 am
A lot of OcDS lag comes from two things: material loading and using Live mode on a render to update every change from Daz viewport (new geometry, pose change etc). Try disabling Automatic Material Updates and the Live mode and see if that helps, instead load materials from .duf and embeded data (still slower when a lot of materials are pre-setup but keep in mind how many surfaces and maps just one average human figure holds), and instead of Live mode use Rebuild Scene when needed to update (more accurate, doesn't cause big lags).

V.
valzheimer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby crackfox » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:40 pm

crackfox Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:40 pm
hi paul.

the scene in question has custom props and store props. i cant send it.
best i can do is report as i go along or send you a video.
i would be very happy to get octane going in daz but i dont think its meant for me to use octane.

once i reactivated the plugin, daz did not freeze but all of the materials were white. the autoconverter does a great job so i dont mind it.
once i click somewhere on the timeline however, the program does hang for a 30sec or so before updating. i have one single animated character in a moderately complex setting.
i am using some custom animate clips fwiw. not sure if everything needs to be baked out to timeline keyframes.

edit: scratch all what i just said- if i press play daz goes into a loop where it is unresponsive, then it comes back but if i click anything - again it freezes.

no matter if octane is running or not. if i open the regular iray scene, pressing play in the timeline kills daz. task manager reports daz at unresponsive 15%-17% cpu usage, no cuda action or notable ram usage.
i actually have to disable the plugin to continue working on the scene in iray at all.

currently i noticed when i exit daz sometimes the application stays running in the background and still uses up ram, could well be just a daz glitch.
i have two 1080ti.

@valzheimer: thanks i appreciate the info and will have it in mind. honestly it seems though things are severely broken.

i will try and troubleshoot the scene by deleting objects, hope i can find the problem. ironically this is the first scene i tried and having showstopping bugs.
a random figure loaded up and it worked fine. even the timeline updated in a few seconds.
crackfox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby crackfox » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:48 pm

crackfox Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:48 pm
super happy.

its fixed. the culprit were buttons on the shirt. they had the symbols of a brick in the outliner. bricked my daz so gg they worked as advertised i guess.
but now the timeline can be played and the skipping updates within seconds.

the rendering itself is incredibly fast and responsive. not sure why but the blender version renders very slow on my end.

i hope the node editor ui issue is solvable.its completely unwieldy.
i am using wacon intuos and two more monitors, cintiq being occasionally on.
just now - i tried to put the node editor on a secondary screen and it slid somewhere offscreen never to be found again.
before that it would dock to anything it fancies at that moment.

in best of times daz works iffy with wacom but this is absurd.
crackfox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby hentaibee » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:23 am

hentaibee Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:23 am
ok, a bit off topic,

for the folks with graphics tablet and multi monitor setup:

DAz with active octane addon woks best if set to primary monitor. (I've used it like this the past 4 years)

Usually I have the octance viewport undocked on second screen and this made the whole thing more fluent.

Though on full screen )as opposed to fully expanded window) the cursor might incidentally go invisible.
So make sure DAz is in an expanded window as oppozed to mximized no the tablet.

Tis solved most hickups for me with wacom, huion and even gaomon 22 inchers.
hentaibee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby crackfox » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:55 pm

crackfox Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:55 pm
thanks hentaibee.

yes, i usually work like that aswell.

my main monitor is 4k however so when i drag the panels toward secondary, lower res screens, they either are too high or too low.
trying to place the panels in the middle then snaps them off off screen to the netherland.
but daz in general sucks with wacom, after all these years.

sorry for hijacking, i have a thread for this, will write there.
crackfox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:22 pm

Sorel Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:22 pm
face_off wrote:
crackfox wrote:i decided trying octane daz3d aswell, since blender plugin behaves oddly. the rendering times are very bad and inconsistent but blender support says it works so i guess its fine then. it just sucks to be me, that is all.

absolute shambles.
No one has yet sent me a scene using the stock/free DAZ products which reproduces this issue, so I have not been able to investigate it. If you send me a scene, I will take a look.

Paul

Hi Paul

I don't believe any of the stock assets have rigid follow nodes on anything but I can double check.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to DAZ Studio