Layering tattoo's on Genesis

Forums: Layering tattoo's on Genesis
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Layering tattoo's on Genesis

Postby SparkieShock » Tue May 05, 2020 12:31 pm

SparkieShock Tue May 05, 2020 12:31 pm
Hey .. it's really not clear to me how one layers additional images (alpha channelled or otherwise) on top of the main texture .. evertyime I've tried it just ends up a nightmare of crap .. looking terrible. Is it possible to layer up images like with the LIE in DAZ? .. If so .. how? Cuz so far all I got was just a big ol' load of awful where a texture should have been.

If someone can tell me how one layers things .. what order nodes need to be in .. and what determines what goes on top of another that would be appreciated.
That's the trouble with the node editor .. there's not sense of up and down (in terms of layers) with this .. this is another reason I gave up trying to do any kind of Sub surface scattering of textures .. because no matter what I do I can only ever affect one layer and never see any of the others (assuming they're even working).

Thanks
Win 10 Pro Edition - Intel i0 10900X - X299 MB - 128GB's KINGSTON FURY 3200 RAM - 2x RTX A6000 GPU's - 1300 Watt Power
DAZ3D - BLENDER - OCTANE STANDALONE and PLUGIN FOR DAZ - OCTANE PRIME for DAZ
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Layering tattoo's on Genesis

Postby SparkieShock » Sun May 10, 2020 6:46 am

SparkieShock Sun May 10, 2020 6:46 am
So? .. is there no way to layer an alpha channel textured? .. Seriously can it NOT be done?

Everytime I try to do this I either end up wtih a black and white overlay ... or an overlay that looks like it's at 50% opacity. Does this not work proprly?
Win 10 Pro Edition - Intel i0 10900X - X299 MB - 128GB's KINGSTON FURY 3200 RAM - 2x RTX A6000 GPU's - 1300 Watt Power
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Sun May 10, 2020 8:41 am

rajib Sun May 10, 2020 8:41 am
Hi SparkieShock,

You can easily use alpha channel to mix textures. All you need is 2 textures and an alpha mask.

If you are using just JPG mask, then there will be 3 texture images - Base Texture Image, Alpha Mask (in Black/white, grayscale), and the texture to apply on top based on the alpha texture.
If you are using PNG mask, then there will be 2 texture images - Base Texture Image and the PNG texture image assuming the PNG is the mask as well as the actual color to apply on top of the base.

Here is an example of how I add Makeup to my characters face texture using a PNG makeup image. I have a JPG face texture and a PNG makeup that has has the alpha channel.

Face Texture.
FaceTexture.jpg
Face Texture

To use the PNG as alpha channel I set the texture as RGBA. That will give you the alpha channel of the PNG. If you are using a JPG grayscale / black/white mask, just use it as RGB Image.
AlphaTexture.jpg
PNG needs to be set as RGBA to get the Alpha channel. For JPG Mask, it will be RGB.

Then I use the same PNG as RGB Image (that I has used as RGBA for the alpha mask) to get the color channel. In the case of JPG mask, you would use the actual colored texture image you want to mix.
PNGMakeUpwithTranparency.jpg
Actual PNG as RGA to get the color channels

When I mix the 2 textures - Face and Makeup using the Makeup PNG as the alpha channel using a Mix Texture node. And the end result is the 2 textures mixed properly.
MixingWithAlphaTexture.jpg
Final result

So whether you are using Mix Texture nodes or Mix Materials nodes, it is the same. You can add a alpha mask image to the Amount pin and you will get the composite image based on the mask. Same as LIE in DAZ.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Rajib
Last edited by rajib on Sun May 10, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Sun May 10, 2020 10:34 am

rajib Sun May 10, 2020 10:34 am
Hi SparkieShock,

Here's how I add tattoos on my character Miho when there are no alpha masks available .

1. I search and select the Tattoo product I want to use
SelectTattooYouWantToAdd.jpg
Search for a Tattoo

2. I then open and select a tattoo I like and then right click and select Browse To File Location.... You can actually do this at the previous step too.
SelectTattoAndBrowseToFileLocation.jpg
Select a Tattoo and right click to select Browse To File Location.

3. Switch to the corresponding Runtime \ Textures folder
SwitchToTheRuntimeTextureFolder.jpg
Switch to runtime \ texture folder
SwitchToTheRuntimeTextureFolder.jpg (24.47 KiB) Viewed 4293 times

4. Select a tattoo texture to use
SelectTattoo.jpg
Select a tattoo to use

5. Drag and drop to the NGE (NGE should already have the corresponding body part texture opened.
TattooImage.jpg
Tattoo image

6. Add a Multiply Texture Node and pluign the skin texture as Texture 1 and the Tattoo image as Texture 2.
Composite.jpg
Final mixed texture

7. Plug the output of the Mix Material to the Diffuse / Glossy etc of the skin material which will basically place the previous pin that was plugged to just the skin texture. And you will see the final effect.
TattooOnMiho.jpg
Tattoo on my character Miho

If you wanted to add multiple tattoos on the same body part :
Add as may Tattoos you want. Do a Multiply Texture for 2 tattoo texture and then you can take the output of that and plugin that into another Multiply Texture (Texture 2) and add a new Tattoo to the new Multiply Texture node (Texture 1). And on and on....
MultipleTattoos.jpg
Multiple tattoos

Here's the example output of 2 tattoo textures on my character Miho
MultipleTattoosOnG8F.jpg
Multiple tattoos on my character Miho.

Hope this helps. Btw. you can play with the Tattoo Gamma too and also plug the tattoo to a Color Correction node to e.g. make it brighter, change the color hue etc. before plugging the output of that into the Multiply Texture.

Regards,
Rajib

PS : I actually have created a separate Texture folder where I copy all the tattoo textures from the Daz runtime to that single folder. It helps to select the tattoo faster.
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SparkieShock » Mon May 11, 2020 9:38 am

SparkieShock Mon May 11, 2020 9:38 am
Ah much appreciated .. MANY thanks for the very detailed reply.

I had managed to get an alpha channel texture on but didn't understand why it was coming out black and white .. it's been driving me nuts .. so thanks for this. :D
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SparkieShock » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:17 am

SparkieShock Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:17 am
I'm trying to follow this and what I end up with is the right look in the 'mix texture' box .. but then if I try to then hook this into a material node .. 'Diffuse' .. all I get is a blank material. It looks right on the mix texture before it but not after. What the hell is going on?

What material node is this supposed to go to after?

rajib wrote:Hi SparkieShock,

You can easily use alpha channel to mix textures. All you need is 2 textures and an alpha mask.

If you are using just JPG mask, then there will be 3 texture images - Base Texture Image, Alpha Mask (in Black/white, grayscale), and the texture to apply on top based on the alpha texture.
If you are using PNG mask, then there will be 2 texture images - Base Texture Image and the PNG texture image assuming the PNG is the mask as well as the actual color to apply on top of the base.

Here is an example of how I add Makeup to my characters face texture using a PNG makeup image. I have a JPG face texture and a PNG makeup that has has the alpha channel.

Face Texture.
FaceTexture.jpg

To use the PNG as alpha channel I set the texture as RGBA. That will give you the alpha channel of the PNG. If you are using a JPG grayscale / black/white mask, just use it as RGB Image.
AlphaTexture.jpg

Then I use the same PNG as RGB Image (that I has used as RGBA for the alpha mask) to get the color channel. In the case of JPG mask, you would use the actual colored texture image you want to mix.
PNGMakeUpwithTranparency.jpg

When I mix the 2 textures - Face and Makeup using the Makeup PNG as the alpha channel using a Mix Texture node. And the end result is the 2 textures mixed properly.
MixingWithAlphaTexture.jpg

So whether you are using Mix Texture nodes or Mix Materials nodes, it is the same. You can add a alpha mask image to the Amount pin and you will get the composite image based on the mask. Same as LIE in DAZ.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Rajib
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SparkieShock » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:29 am

SparkieShock Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:29 am
Here's a video of what I see.

Capture.JPG

[ Play Quicktime file ] Img 7457-1.m4v [ 45.13 MiB | Viewed 3571 times ]

As you can see I have my RGBA alpha .. I have my JPG ... they can be seen just fine in the mix texture ... but then click on the diffuse node and it's just blank?!?
Can someone please tell me what's going wrong. I'm getting real tired of trying to add layers only to have them not work at all. Why does this have to be so sodding complicated?!?
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sudisk » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:56 am

sudisk Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:56 am
Nothing is going wrong IMHO. Maybe your tattoo just shows on the other side of the sphere. Have you tried rendering the sphere to see how it looks from the other side ?
sudisk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio