Problem with high density on scattering nodes

Forums: Problem with high density on scattering nodes
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: Problem with high density on scattering nodes

Postby Banti » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:58 pm

Banti Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:58 pm
face_off wrote:
The facetting and seams problem are extremly annoying.
It would be worth trying the Octane 2020.1 RC3 build of the plugin that I just posted, as Octane 2020.1 RC3 contains the fix "Fixed issue with subsurface scattering causing visible seams.".

Paul

Thanks for the new update :)
The seams problems are definitly gone for me, very nice. Regarding the facetting problem: If i understood correctly what Kanne summarized in regards to his communication with the octane staff, the facetting on material with high density scattering is not necessarily a bug but just the plugin working as intended more or less. If this is something DAZ/Genesis character specific I dont know. But maybe there will be fix or workaround for specular only materials too at some point.
Banti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:29 pm

face_off Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:29 pm
What subd level are you using please?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Kanne » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:01 am

Kanne Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:01 am
Banti wrote:
face_off wrote:
The facetting and seams problem are extremly annoying.
It would be worth trying the Octane 2020.1 RC3 build of the plugin that I just posted, as Octane 2020.1 RC3 contains the fix "Fixed issue with subsurface scattering causing visible seams.".

Paul

Thanks for the new update :)
The seams problems are definitly gone for me, very nice. Regarding the facetting problem: If i understood correctly what Kanne summarized in regards to his communication with the octane staff, the facetting on material with high density scattering is not necessarily a bug but just the plugin working as intended more or less. If this is something DAZ/Genesis character specific I dont know. But maybe there will be fix or workaround for specular only materials too at some point.

The faceting on high density scattering is not a bug. It's an implementation in the core engine. The higher the density the more it should appear to be solid.
This "issue" is not related to the Daz3D plugin or a speciality for Daz-Figues. Any organic / smooth shape would be affected. From my communication with the support i dont think there will be a fix.

However, i still don't understand why the faceting is happing. I thoughed phong-shading, smoothed normals or similar methods would solve this. I guess not.

face_off wrote:What subd level are you using please?

Paul

At least SubD 4 to have HD morphs work. In some scenarios i even had to use SubD 5, where to base-mesh has lower resolutions.
Kanne
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:29 am

face_off Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:29 am
However, i still don't understand why the faceting is happing. I thoughed phong-shading, smoothed normals or similar methods would solve this. I guess not.
You should not be getting faceting. You can render out the Wireframe and Normals render passes to try to debug why this is happening. Also try adjusting the Ray Epsilon. At high subd levels I would think the minimum Ray Epsilon should be used.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Kanne » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:40 am

Kanne Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:40 am
face_off wrote:
You should not be getting faceting. You can render out the Wireframe and Normals render passes to try to debug why this is happening. Also try adjusting the Ray Epsilon. At high subd levels I would think the minimum Ray Epsilon should be used.

Paul

So, you do think this is an issue / bug? That would contradict what I understood from the support / senior developer response. Are you able/allowed to look into support tickets (Ticket-Id is #149520)?
I already tried using the lowest ray-elipson. I already had a look at the different passes, some of them are attached to the original post. Wireframe and geometrical normales ofc match the faceting lines. Shaded Normals and Smooth normals are similar and look good, no faceting.

If you have the leisure to take up the topic again, I will try to support that as much as i can. Otherwise, I have given up the subject.
I tried everything I could think of and tried to discuss everything that came to my mind with the support.
But with no prospect of success, as it sounded after the last statements of the support / senior developers, I lack the desire and mood to try even more.
Kanne
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:47 am

face_off Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:47 am
So, you do think this is an issue / bug? That would contradict what I understood from the support / senior developer response. Are you able/allowed to look into support tickets (Ticket-Id is #149520)?
I already tried using the lowest ray-elipson. I already had a look at the different passes, some of them are attached to the original post. Wireframe and geometrical normales ofc match the faceting lines. Shaded Normals and Smooth normals are similar and look good, no faceting.

If you have the leisure to take up the topic again, I will try to support that as much as i can. Otherwise, I have given up the subject.
I tried everything I could think of and tried to discuss everything that came to my mind with the support.
But with no prospect of success, as it sounded after the last statements of the support / senior developers, I lack the desire and mood to try even more.
I rendered your scene again - and can confirm in 2020.1 RC3 there is definitely faceting in the SSS render pass. I tested this in Modo on a high density mesh, and it do not have faceting. So I think something else is amiss, and I would suggest requesting the OTOY reopen the issue.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby CriPodOctane67 » Wed May 06, 2020 2:51 pm

CriPodOctane67 Wed May 06, 2020 2:51 pm
Hi to everyone,
may be i guess wrong...but have you try to deflag the "Use base geometries" in the General Settings under the Preferences?
I do and now the issue is solved.
Please let me know if i understood the problem correctly.
Have a nice day
CriPodOctane67
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Kanne » Fri May 08, 2020 7:12 am

Kanne Fri May 08, 2020 7:12 am
CriPodOctane67 wrote:Hi to everyone,
may be i guess wrong...but have you try to deflag the "Use base geometries" in the General Settings under the Preferences?
I do and now the issue is solved.
Please let me know if i understood the problem correctly.
Have a nice day

As the examples use subD, just at a low level to demonstrate, the flag is not the issue and is not set but thank you for your suggestion.
Kanne
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to DAZ Studio