Change and enhancements request for the Octane Daz Plugin

Forums: Change and enhancements request for the Octane Daz Plugin
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: Change and enhancements request for the Octane Daz Plugin

Postby rajib » Sat May 02, 2020 3:03 pm

rajib Sat May 02, 2020 3:03 pm
2020.1 Issues (2020.1.0.55) :
Hi Paul,

I am listing the issues I have found with the 2020.1 here. Will continue to list here as I find more.

1. Once Daz is started, if a older scene is loaded and the Render (Octane Viewport) is clicked it instantly crashed Daz Studio. Workaround is to render an empty scene or just put a cube / plane and render and then load the older Daz scene. This was mentioned to me by Isotemod and it worked. Scenes created in the latest version can be closed and opened and rendered without any issue. So I guess some old material definition or some other Octane data stored in the scene file, the latest plugin is not happy with. (Update: 2020-05-10 Glad to hear Paul has been able to reproduce with a scene provided to him and he has reported it to Octane)

2. In the NGE sometimes the right edge in the values panel is truncated and there is no way to resize it. Update : I am seeing the truncation in the material node - Diffuse / Specular etc and some other nodes. But for other nodes the values and controls are being shown in full e.g. Color Correction node.
ControlsInNGEAreCut.jpg
Controls in NGE are truncated

For the Random Walk node, after clicking the Use Vol Step. for Vol Shadow ray step length toggle button, the left side is truncated and sometimes it is the right that is truncated if you click out and click the Random Walk node again. Anyway, main thing is there is a width issue that you will need to fix or make the panel values part resizable.
ControlsInNGEAreCut-2.jpg
Random Walk Pane values truncated in NGE

3. In Random Walk the Radius I see a range as 0 to 1. But Otoy's launch thread for 2020.1 (viewtopic.php?f=24&t=74586) it shows that you can set it to 3.0 too. I did try to enter 3 and it did accept but it had no effect, only for a value between 0 and 1 it will restart the render. I also thought I could plug in a float to the Radius, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Can you let us know if that 3.0 show in the Otoy 2020.1 thread is actually not correct anymore ?

4. Smart unfold seems to have been disabled only for the Materials - Diffuse / Glossy / Specular /Mix / Toon / Universal / Shadow Cather. It works for everything else like Layers, Images, Mappings, etc. Please enable it for the Materials. I and probably others (who constantly edit materials for every scene) heavily depend on it.

5. Please add the missing Visible Environment as Camera Environment I mentioned in the previous post. It has no Daz dependency. Just duplicate the HDR environment controls in the Environment Tab and call the new set Visible Environment. And whatever texture and values we set for it, plug that into the corresponding Octane API.

Update 2020-05-10
6. Daz not exiting (first reported by wader, happens to me too.) when exit is selected. Anyway not sure where is the problem - Daz or Octane plugin.

7. None of the procedural LiveDB materials works in the plugin. They can't even be open them in NGE.

Regards,
Rajib
Last edited by rajib on Sun May 10, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Change and enhancements request for the Octane Daz Plugin

Postby rajib » Sat May 02, 2020 3:20 pm

rajib Sat May 02, 2020 3:20 pm
Add VOB support.

This is a long pending feature. I have sure the Octane SDK supports the VOB features. Adding VOB has no dependency on whether Daz Studio supports VOB or not.

You can add a menu item for Octane that can place a primitive (e.g. Cube) in the scene to use as a placeholder with a known name e.g. OCTANE_VOB_XXX. (Take a look at the Houdini plugin. It e.g. has Octane Lights that are nothing put primitives placed in the scene with a certain name and within the Octane plugin it scans for the name and sets values). Users can then move / place and resize it as needed. Under the Octane Panel, add the Tab called VOBs. And whatever OCTANE_VOB_XXX, e.g. ... OCTANE_VOB_1, OCTANE_VOB_2... you find in the Scene, you list it in that Tab. Users can then select the VOB files for each of those and set them e.g. VOB for cloud / fire / smoke, etc. This then can be loaded via the Octane APIs in the Octane scene and rendered. And you can set the Visible in Render as off and OctaneRender:Visibility control to 0 for the placeholder primitives. That way the placeholder primitives won't get render themselves and their physical dimension and placement can be use to place the VOBs in the Octane scene / render. You can even have a menu item in the Octane menu to show / hide the Octane placeholders (Daz visibility) so that the users can just click on it to show / hide all the placeholders.

Also you are already storing texture paths, etc within the Octane node in the Daz scene file so storing the paths of the VOBs being used in the scene should also not be an issue.

Please consider to add this soon.

Same placeholder method can be used for things like Spectron Area/Sphere Primitives lights that again don't need Daz to support. All you need to implement is placeholder primitives and then scan the scene for known names and set the corresponding Octane data and call the API. You can simply provide a Tab like I mentioned that will list the known names / primitives and allow us to set the appropriate values.
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to DAZ Studio