Shadows not being generated anymore?

Forums: Shadows not being generated anymore?
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Shadows not being generated anymore?

Postby SparkieShock » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:17 pm

SparkieShock Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:17 pm
Hey .. so I had some problems with this scene. On one computer I rendered this fairly nice image 'Connors Car with shadows' .. and then I started having problems with octane as the car dissapeared from the render every time I tried to get another shot.

Connors car with shadows.jpg

After switching over to my second computer that wouldn't even load a scene .. turns out that was down to my recently updating to the latest NVIDIA driver. I rolled back to 417 and now that works .. and the scene once again will render.

However .. I can't get the shadows to behave for the life of me. I've tried to use the very same setup .. I don't understand how this scene has completely different lighting. Does anyone know what has happened to my shadows .. and why everything looks terrible now?

Connors car No shadow.jpg
Win 10 Pro Edition - Intel i0 10900X - X299 MB - 128GB's KINGSTON FURY 3200 RAM - 2x RTX A6000 GPU's - 1300 Watt Power
DAZ3D - BLENDER - OCTANE STANDALONE and PLUGIN FOR DAZ - OCTANE PRIME for DAZ
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Shadows not being generated anymore?

Postby SparkieShock » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:47 am

SparkieShock Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:47 am
Okay .. it seems that after some playing around with this it may have well been texture memory. Even though octane reports tonnes of space left on the cards VRAM .. it seems to not be happy on my second machine. Upon remounting this session on my primary device (after sorting out the NVIDIA driver) .. I have my shadows back once again.

I wish the memory allocation on octane would be more accurate .. when it shows as 2-3 gigs of VRAM empty .. then why the hell is there not enough f**king RAM?
Win 10 Pro Edition - Intel i0 10900X - X299 MB - 128GB's KINGSTON FURY 3200 RAM - 2x RTX A6000 GPU's - 1300 Watt Power
DAZ3D - BLENDER - OCTANE STANDALONE and PLUGIN FOR DAZ - OCTANE PRIME for DAZ
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Shadows not being generated anymore?

Postby Zay » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:39 pm

Zay Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:39 pm
SparkieShock wrote:I wish the memory allocation on octane would be more accurate .. when it shows as 2-3 gigs of VRAM empty .. then why the hell is there not enough f**king RAM?

You can use GPU-Z to show how much V-ram you are using. I have it running all the time.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio