Gamma Invert Option In Materials

Forums: Gamma Invert Option In Materials
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Gamma Invert Option In Materials

Postby ZEnN18 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:36 pm

ZEnN18 Wed May 08, 2019 5:36 pm
I am trying to setup for a linear workflow and am following this detailed document for C4D (http://www.aoktar.com/octane/OCTANE%20H ... KFLOW.html) ***NOTE: I am still using Octane plugin for DAZ but this document has provided alot of information that I have not found anywhere else yet***

Invert.JPG
Invert.JPG (10.56 KiB) Viewed 1638 times

One of the steps (screenshot Gamma1) indicates to change the gamma for texture's to 1 from 2.2. I am trying to understand what the "Invert" option within the materials does so that I know whether I need to have it off or on when setting textures to 1.

Gamma1.JPG

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
ZEnN18
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Gamma Invert Option In Materials

Postby face_off » Thu May 09, 2019 1:26 am

face_off Thu May 09, 2019 1:26 am
I'm sorry - I cannot recall the exact use of that pin. I suggest asking this on the general Octane Standalone forum, or check the latest Standalone documentation at docs.otoy.com.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Gamma Invert Option In Materials

Postby ZEnN18 » Thu May 09, 2019 1:35 am

ZEnN18 Thu May 09, 2019 1:35 am
Hey thanks Paul. I will probably reach out as you have suggested. I think I understand it now after looking over some other documentation and forums from various sources. I believe that it is taking the default 2.2 and running it as an algorithm to get the inverse so 1/2.2 = .45454545 for linear. I suspect the issue I have been running into is the texture maps I already have are 2.2 so it is applying gamma of 1 too many times before finished output causing it to work incorrectly with LUT's. I still want to be sure I am not missing anything though so I will put it out as you have suggested.

Thanks again!
ZEnN18
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio