OctaneRender 2018 for DAZ Studio [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2018 for DAZ Studio [OBSOLETE]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

OctaneRender 2018 for DAZ Studio [OBSOLETE]

Postby face_off » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:55 am

face_off Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:55 am
Pls read http://poserphysics.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/before-you-submit-octane-support.html prior to posting support issues.

NOTE 1: For users who experience a DAZStudio crash - deleting C:\Users\[username]\OctaneRender\Data\OctaneRender_settings.oczdb may resolve the issue.

NOTE 2: For users having an issue where the Save button is disabled if using the Final button - disable the Final button and in Render settings select the SuperScope (2:1) Size / aspect ratio and drag the Viewport height or width until you reach required resolution.

NOTE 3: For users having an issue where rendering an animation fails after 11 frames - make sure the DAZStudio viewport is visible when you render the animation.

NOTE 4: If Octane materials are not loading when you load a previously saved scene - tick Preferences->Load OctaneRender materials from .duf user presets. If ticking this option does not stick between DAZStudio restarts, delete OctaneRender_settings.oczdb as per NOTE 1 above.

NOTE 5: If you get a "Could not save a frame for X times!" - please refer to the thread at https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=66258 for potential solutions.

NOTE 6: If you get a "Bogus Scene Path" error - this is due to having an apostrophe in the filepath of a texturemap (so store your textures in foldernames which do not have apostrophes).

This is the recommended thread for downloading, and posting any questions, suggestions or support queries for OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - TEST (ie. pre-release) and STABLE releases.

DAZ Studio Version
DAZ Studio 4.8 or later on Window Vista, 7, 8 or 10 64bit

To use this version, you need a GPU of compute model 3.0 or higher. Support for Fermi GPUs (like GTX 4xx and 5xx) has been dropped. Also make sure you use a driver of version 419.17 or higher.

Network Rendering
For Network Rendering, you must use the Octane slave release from the Octane Standalone installer which matches the exact Octane version of the plugin you are using. This version matches OctaneRender Standalone 4.00.

Support Issues
If you have a support issue, pls provide the following information:
- Operating System (ie. Win XP, Vista, 7, 8)
- Amount of RAM
- Graphics Card(s) - model (ie. GTX 580, 3GB)
- Nvidia driver version
- DAZ Studio version
- OctaneRender for DAZ Studio version (ie. 2.24.2.1)

- The most important part of resolving a problem is me being able to re-produce that problem. So pls provide as much detail as possible in order for me to do this, and if the problem is specific to the scene, send me the scene.

Download Links

Current STABLE build (Octane 2018.1.3)

Previous STABLE build (Octane 2018.1)

Release Notes

2018.1.3.44 (25-May-2019)
- Compiled with Octane 2018.1.3

2018.1.0.44 (20-Mar-2019)
- Compiled with Octane 2018.1
- NOTE: The "Open Map" button is not currently functioning, due to what I think is a change in GoogleMaps

Paul
Last edited by face_off on Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender 2018 for DAZ Studio [TEST and STABLE]

Postby RGUS » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:22 pm

RGUS Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:22 pm
Hi Paul,
Looking at the download options, it would seem there are no options for people with a regular licence.
Do I need to now purchase a subscription to keep using Octane and be charged on a regular basis to keep using it?
Where did Enterprise subscription come from?
WEB: http://rgus.deviantart.com/
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
RAM: 64GB
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 3.20 GHz
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11 Pro
OCTANE PLUGIN VERSION: 2022.1..1.302 Prime
DAZ STUDIO VERSION: 4.21.0.5 Pro Edition (64 bit)
RGUS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:48 pm

Sorel Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:48 pm
From my understanding we will need the sub license for future updates beyond V4
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TRRazor » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:59 pm

TRRazor Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:59 pm
To clarify things:

If you have bought Octane 4 (i.e you have a perpetual licence) and want to use the latest versions beyond V4, there is a yearly $199 Enterprise AA maintenance fee (per machine) that uses your V4 existing licences with the latest versions (i.e. Octane 2019), including plug-ins, standalone/slaves for that machine. If you don't re-up, then your V4 licences will still be able to activate V4 builds, but not the newer releases.

In the old days when major releases were years apart, we charged $79 for upgrading standalone + one plug-in -and kept raising the price by the same for new purchases. We made V4 free (at our expense) because we didn't want to keep making Octane more expensive with each upgrade . Now with at least 3 major version upgrades a year, the annual payment approach is the best way to for us to support the product at this pace and keep costs reasonable for new and recurring users alike.

Seems like Octane has just taken a huge step away from individual customers, like what I would think makes up 70 to 80% of it's user-base, toward enterprise-professional-level rendering.
How can they force semi-professionals out the door with such a model? Looks like the OctaneRender 4 free Tier will be the only feasible option for semi-professionals in the future.

You can read up on it here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69646

Could we please have somebody from Otoy respond to the state of development of the OCDS plug-in and how the company plans to get it up to shape to at least all features that were announced with v4?
This is not supposed to make Paul look bad, he's done great work on the plug-in since t_3 left, but I think an official communication is overdue in regard to the shape of OCDS and where it will go from here on out...
W10 64 bit | i7 3770K | MSI Geforce RTX 2080 (8GB) + GTX Titan Black (6GB) | 32 GB DDR3 RAM
TRRazor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:16 am

face_off Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:16 am
Looking at the download options, it would seem there are no options for people with a regular licence.
Do I need to now purchase a subscription to keep using Octane and be charged on a regular basis to keep using it?
My understanding is that you can continue to use your V4 license on the plugin version 4 forever (and I will be maintaining version 4 of the plugin for some time). If you want the 2018.1 (and future) features, you need to get an Enterprise or Studio subscription.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby RGUS » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:22 am

RGUS Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:22 am
face_off wrote:
My understanding is that you can continue to use your V4 license on the plugin version 4 forever (and I will be maintaining version 4 of the plugin for some time). If you want the 2018.1 (and future) features, you need to get an Enterprise or Studio subscription.

Paul

Bugger...
This is typical of Microsoft, AutoDesk and all the other named software houses.

Time to look for another render engine where the supplier doesn't hold you to ransom for upgrades.
This form of bullying scares more users away rather than encourage them to stay or even begin using their software.
Not your fault Paul of course... just how the trend is going...

This will make iRAY look good again I think.
Thanks for explaining.
WEB: http://rgus.deviantart.com/
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
RAM: 64GB
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 3.20 GHz
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11 Pro
OCTANE PLUGIN VERSION: 2022.1..1.302 Prime
DAZ STUDIO VERSION: 4.21.0.5 Pro Edition (64 bit)
RGUS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Dany_Summer » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:23 am

Dany_Summer Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:23 am
if have to buy a subscription in the future I see it like RGUS, time to say goodbye to Octane and look for another software ....
Dany_Summer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gaazsi » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:41 pm

gaazsi Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:41 pm
same here, if i had to pay around 800-1000 bucks each year just to be "allowed" to use all plugins that i dont need except the one that i paid for... and have to get that enterprise license for using network rendering in future... nah... not worth it
i really like(d) octane but its the wrong way, sorry.
gaazsi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby osiosiosi » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 pm

osiosiosi Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 pm
I feel somewhat stupid ... could anybody please explain me the new payment modell? :confused:
osiosiosi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Dany_Summer » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:37 pm

Dany_Summer Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:37 pm
YES ... that's the wrong way .. I praise the companies that offer different licensees and for commercial companies the rental model ...... alone with Octane you can not do much ....

Example:

Photoshop xxx dollars
Maya xxx dollars
Octane xxx dollars
and and and ....

For the normal user or private company with the small purse that means the end before the start, let alone the normal user .. bye bye eating bye bye clothes .. and if you have a month higher bills you can not use the software for 30 days ... I think the whole thing more than not socially ...... in the above example, there are ever 500 - 1000 dollars a month together :(

I would rather donate to Krita and Blender and look for alternatives ... Should OTOY be happy but not at my expense.
Dany_Summer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to DAZ Studio