Avoiding GeoGrafts converting older characters

Forums: Avoiding GeoGrafts converting older characters
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Avoiding GeoGrafts converting older characters

Postby erik-nl » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:28 pm

erik-nl Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:28 pm
Converting textures from older DAZ or Poser character generations to Genesis 3 (and 8) is a bit of a struggle because of the differences in UV organization and geometry.
However, end of last year I've bought a software tool to help me retopo my photogrammetric 3D scans of people so I could turn them into DAZ-compatible posable characters.
Aside from creating almost perfect morph material from those scans, it can also project the scan's photo-textures onto the new mesh, making those characters look very realistic.
Last week I decided to try this texture feature on something else: converting Michael and Victoria 4 textures into true Genesis 3 textures, and it works!
It's definitely NOT a 'one click job', all in all the whole process takes quite bit of time, but at least the results are great!
Naturally it also makes geometry morphs, so you can also transfer the shape of those old figures onto Genesis3 and 8 (with the exception of HD geometry of course).
So if you really want those old and perhaps dear models turned into true Genesis 3 or 8, you can now.
The tool I bought for this (for less than half the normal price on Black Friday) is R3DS Wrap 3.3
You'll also need programs like ZBrush and Photoshop for touch-ups and texture patching, but all the really difficult work is done for you by Wrap 3.
Some examples can be found on my DA-account:
https://www.deviantart.com/erik-nl

Cheers!

Erik
erik-nl
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio