Octane V4 taking a lot more resources than previous builds

Forums: Octane V4 taking a lot more resources than previous builds
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Octane V4 taking a lot more resources than previous builds

Postby frewinhu » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:07 am

frewinhu Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:07 am
I've noticed that Octane 4 has taken a lot more resources than octane 3.8 plugin.

Before Upgrading to Octane 4 my Desktop was able to run background tasks with only 1 GPU (a 1070) just fine while ongoing renderings were in process. Now with Octane 4 even setting GPU priority to low and making sure "use GPU priority" is checked, it still makes things lag incredibly hard.

Also, i tested this out on my smaller Laptop setup which has a single GTX 1050 GPU, before Octane 4 i was able to have chrome running in the background just fine while rendering things in DAZ with Octane. Now, with Octane 4 my laptop cannot run anything in the background.

Much worse is, in fact, most previous scenes that were able to render is now no longer able to be rendered simply because it seems that octane 4 takes up a ton more resources. I have many scenes that were made in octane 3.7/3.8 that rendered just fine but much slower; however, now they just simply crash to desktop when hitting the render button on my laptop. I know these scenes are not "corrupted" or "bugged" because they can be rendered in octane 4 on my much beefier Desktop PC, which means this is an Octane 4 issue.

This applies not only to the GPU/VRAM department of things; but also, octane 4 seems to now use a ton of CPU and regular RAM.

Is there a way to fix this besides simply downgrading back to octane 3.8?
frewinhu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane V4 taking a lot more resources than previous builds

Postby Sorel » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:19 pm

Sorel Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:19 pm
As per the documentation, the new AI features use a bit more resources. If you dont need them be sure to turn them off in render settings.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio