OctaneRender 4 for DAZ Studio [TEST and STABLE]

Forums: OctaneRender 4 for DAZ Studio [TEST and STABLE]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender 4 for DAZ Studio [TEST and STABLE]

Postby face_off » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:00 pm

face_off Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:00 pm
Standalone seems to have a built-in map, I recall the earlier versions had this also...is there a way to set up the browser for the map
I can confirm that this is no longer working. I think it is because DAZStudio is using a relatively old version of Qt, which in turn has an old browser engine built in, and the current Google Maps interface requires a later version browser. I don't think there is a simple fix for this, so I will need to remove the Open button in the next release.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Notiusweb » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:29 am

Notiusweb Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:29 am
face_off wrote:
Standalone seems to have a built-in map, I recall the earlier versions had this also...is there a way to set up the browser for the map
I can confirm that this is no longer working. I think it is because DAZStudio is using a relatively old version of Qt, which in turn has an old browser engine built in, and the current Google Maps interface requires a later version browser. I don't think there is a simple fix for this, so I will need to remove the Open button in the next release.

Thanks

Paul

LOL...Google gets in the way of everything...
Oh No! This is connected to the Daz app itself?
Paul, the map is a great feature, please leave the button for a later fix, although I know this makes no sense if not working... :cry:
But maybe something will be fixed on Daz end, or maybe there will be a fix...
By YOU!
After all, you saved the Daz app once before ;)
Thx much Paul!
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:05 am

rajib Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:05 am
face_off wrote:
rajib wrote:Hi Paul,

An update on the crashes. Things have gotten quite bad. Facing crashes very often when doing almost any edit. But after 3 full days on it, I have noticed something - if I pause the render and then make edits and then resume the render, then there is no crash. But if I edit while the render it going on it more or less crashes every time. All stack dump that I see points to a thread being started and then it crashes within the Octane dll. To me it looks like a timing issue. Something (a pointer perhaps ?) the thread is trying to access which is not valid. I am not sure if there is a CRITICAL_SECTION or some other thread synchronization method in the thread to access the common resource / variables. Maybe if you put a try / catch with a SEH Exception handler (handles any kind of exception including null pointer access) within the thread, then even if the thread crashes, it will not crash the application.

I tried to turn off Live in the Octane Viewport, But the viewport updated whenever I edited something even if it was turned off and it led to a crash. I tried to change the Plugin Latency under the Preferences but that didn't help too. Only manually pausing the render, doing the edits and then resuming the render works for me. I guess my system specs are way too different for you to have a change to test the code in debug mode on something similar. But in any case I believe the issue is the thread that gets invoked whenever a change is detected in Daz.

Regards,
Rajib

PS : My system configuration and Daz / Octane version I am using are in my signature.
Hi. I have had no other reports of this issue across any of the plugins I support, so that points to a hardware or driver issue specific to your system. Have you overclocked your cards?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Crash mystery solved :) !!! It's the denoiser. If I enable it on more than 1 GPU, I get crashes every time I try to do anything. If I set it to only 1 GPU, everything is rock solid. Can you verify this ?

I was out of ideas while trying to solve my crash issues as I had 2 machines both similarly specked but with different hardware components and both had this issue. And like I said all my other graphics program that use OpenGL had no issues. Both machines had same Octane configuration.

Finally today while still trying to figure things out I looked at the GPU device settings again and saw I had multiple GPUs enabled for the tonemap and denioser.
So I tested with 1 tonemap and multiple denioser - Crash.
I tested again with 1 tonemap and 1 denioser - No crash.
I tested again with multiple tonemap and 1 denoiser - No crash.

So looks like the issue is with the denoiser being enabled on multiple GPUs. I do hope you can verify this.

Finally my frustration with Octane crashes is over and I can get back to happily rendering again :) ! It had been months of crashes and frustration for me. I should have thought of this before.

Regards,
Rajib
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Witpapier » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:46 pm

Witpapier Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:46 pm
Untitled.jpg
I get this error with the new version. I downloaded regular and get this error, (does the same with the subscription build)
RedSpec TGX for Poser / OctaneRender - OUT NOW visit http://redspec-sss.com/
Witpapier
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:51 pm

Sorel Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:51 pm
rajib wrote:
face_off wrote:
rajib wrote:Hi Paul,

An update on the crashes. Things have gotten quite bad. Facing crashes very often when doing almost any edit. But after 3 full days on it, I have noticed something - if I pause the render and then make edits and then resume the render, then there is no crash. But if I edit while the render it going on it more or less crashes every time. All stack dump that I see points to a thread being started and then it crashes within the Octane dll. To me it looks like a timing issue. Something (a pointer perhaps ?) the thread is trying to access which is not valid. I am not sure if there is a CRITICAL_SECTION or some other thread synchronization method in the thread to access the common resource / variables. Maybe if you put a try / catch with a SEH Exception handler (handles any kind of exception including null pointer access) within the thread, then even if the thread crashes, it will not crash the application.

I tried to turn off Live in the Octane Viewport, But the viewport updated whenever I edited something even if it was turned off and it led to a crash. I tried to change the Plugin Latency under the Preferences but that didn't help too. Only manually pausing the render, doing the edits and then resuming the render works for me. I guess my system specs are way too different for you to have a change to test the code in debug mode on something similar. But in any case I believe the issue is the thread that gets invoked whenever a change is detected in Daz.

Regards,
Rajib

PS : My system configuration and Daz / Octane version I am using are in my signature.
Hi. I have had no other reports of this issue across any of the plugins I support, so that points to a hardware or driver issue specific to your system. Have you overclocked your cards?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Crash mystery solved :) !!! It's the denoiser. If I enable it on more than 1 GPU, I get crashes every time I try to do anything. If I set it to only 1 GPU, everything is rock solid. Can you verify this ?

I was out of ideas while trying to solve my crash issues as I had 2 machines both similarly specked but with different hardware components and both had this issue. And like I said all my other graphics program that use OpenGL had no issues. Both machines had same Octane configuration.

Finally today while still trying to figure things out I looked at the GPU device settings again and saw I had multiple GPUs enabled for the tonemap and denioser.
So I tested with 1 tonemap and multiple denioser - Crash.
I tested again with 1 tonemap and 1 denioser - No crash.
I tested again with multiple tonemap and 1 denoiser - No crash.

So looks like the issue is with the denoiser being enabled on multiple GPUs. I do hope you can verify this.

Finally my frustration with Octane crashes is over and I can get back to happily rendering again :) ! It had been months of crashes and frustration for me. I should have thought of this before.

Regards,
Rajib

It is strange that disabling denoiser on one of your cards causes the crashing to stop. I have it enabled on both cards and never experience problems. sounds like their might be some weird hardware thing going on still but I'm glad you have at least solved it for yourself.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:52 pm

Sorel Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:52 pm
Witpapier wrote:
Untitled.jpg
I get this error with the new version. I downloaded regular and get this error, (does the same with the subscription build)

If you are upgrading from version 3 you will need to "buy" the upgrade to version 4, which should be free for you. If you are already using version 4 and getting that error than I dont know.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:12 am

rajib Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:12 am
Sorel wrote:
It is strange that disabling denoiser on one of your cards causes the crashing to stop. I have it enabled on both cards and never experience problems. sounds like their might be some weird hardware thing going on still but I'm glad you have at least solved it for yourself.

Not too sure how heavy are your scenes. I managed to crash it today while it was enabled on only 1 GPU. Gave me a out of memory, render failures messages and crashed. I have around 20GB of OOC memory allocated to Octane. After turning off Denoiser for that particular scene from the render settings, the scene rendered without problem.

So looks like it also depends on how heavy or how many elements are in the scene. Anyway, at least I am happy that I am able to get it to work after a couple of months of frustrations...
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:56 am

Sorel Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:56 am
rajib wrote:
Sorel wrote:

Not too sure how heavy are your scenes. I managed to crash it today while it was enabled on only 1 GPU. Gave me a out of memory, render failures messages and crashed. I have around 20GB of OOC memory allocated to Octane. After turning off Denoiser for that particular scene from the render settings, the scene rendered without problem.

So looks like it also depends on how heavy or how many elements are in the scene. Anyway, at least I am happy that I am able to get it to work after a couple of months of frustrations...

I must admit most of my scenes are pretty simple. I will try to do something more complex and see what happens.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby osiosiosi » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:14 pm

osiosiosi Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:14 pm
rajib wrote:
Sorel wrote:

As far i know the denoiser runs so or so only on one GPU when it does its work. I see no real benefit even if its was going on 2 cards. Personally i have tonemap also set to one card. Again ... see no downside here.
osiosiosi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Witpapier » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:28 pm

Witpapier Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:28 pm
Just a curious question. where is "my presets" saved. what Location?
RedSpec TGX for Poser / OctaneRender - OUT NOW visit http://redspec-sss.com/
Witpapier
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio