catmark vs catmull-clark legacy subdivision question

Forums: catmark vs catmull-clark legacy subdivision question
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

catmark vs catmull-clark legacy subdivision question

Postby lagauche » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:36 pm

lagauche Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:36 pm
Hey All,

For a couple weeks now I've been baffled by Daz3Ds "Catmark" subdivision algorithm. Does octane offer the same algorithm?

From my tests with octane in maya, and using maya's own subdivision algorithms, there is nothing similar. Octane's subdivision in maya looks the same as daz's catmull-clark legacy.

The real issue is that Daz's HD features only work with catmark not catmull-clark legacy.

Can anyone shed some light on how octane deals with this in daz3d and also if anyone happens to have maya skills i'm trying to get those catmark subdivision in maya so i can use HD morphs etc from daz.

Thanks!
lagauche
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: catmark vs catmull-clark legacy subdivision question

Postby face_off » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:41 am

face_off Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:41 am
I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question (and I doubt anyone else will).

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: catmark vs catmull-clark legacy subdivision question

Postby sHTiF » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:44 am

sHTiF Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:44 am
Subdivision has nothing to do with Octane it is done on the geometry before it is sent to Octane. So whichever one you set in DAZ its then sent to Octane and looks exactly the same. I've played with this and HD morphs to some extent and it worked without a problem. The only minor issue was that when you change the subdivision in DAZ the Octane plugin doesn't know about it so you need to explicitly rebuild your scene for the geometry to change.
sHTiF
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio