OctaneRender 4 for DAZ Studio [obsolete]

Forums: OctaneRender 4 for DAZ Studio [obsolete]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender 4 for DAZ Studio [TEST]

Postby osiosiosi » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:06 pm

osiosiosi Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:06 pm
face_off wrote:
Is out of core geo now supported?
I'm not sure - it depends if it is supported in Octane Standalone 4.00 RC7. If it is, then the plugin supports it.

Paul

It seems so ... i rendered a 40GB huge scene now with OOC enabled. Everything went fine with no problems.

However ...

-the denoiser "interface" in the viewport window is still buggy. I am sure thats a thing you can solve

-some assets still have the wrong position when opening a scene - you have to rebuild the scene

-I observed something strange in your 4.0 plugin when pitching up "highlights" ... but i am not sure about this

Overall this whole thing runs WAY better compared to 3.8 :-)
osiosiosi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:21 am

face_off Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:21 am
-the denoiser "interface" in the viewport window is still buggy. I am sure thats a thing you can solve
Can you provide more details on this issue please?

-some assets still have the wrong position when opening a scene - you have to rebuild the scene
Do you have a set of steps (and a sample scene) that I can follow to reproduce this issue please?

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby valzheimer » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:42 pm

valzheimer Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:42 pm
I had to roll back to previous version of the plugin, it seems to have some memory issues. As soon as I have more than a simple scene (model/clothing/hair) rendering starts lagging on my end and denoiser never kicks in taking hours to clear out if even then. I have a weak GPU (GTX 870m on a laptop) with 4 gigs vRAM and 32 gigs RAM, but I don't have this issue on OcDS v.3.08. Example bigger Stonemason scenes, or LAMH fur exported as an OBJ will hog up my render times.

Still having issues with instances getting scattered where they don't belong in a render in some products, for an example Private Garden: https://www.daz3d.com/the-private-garden and Heart of the East: https://www.daz3d.com/the-heart-of-the-east parts of the fern and grass continually show as floating around the scene while in Iray there's no issue with these instances. Some other products I have better luck with like Howie Farkes scenes, but the two from Stonemason I listed always have the same wrong effect.
valzheimer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby osiosiosi » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:03 am

osiosiosi Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:03 am
face_off wrote:
Can you provide more details on this issue please?

Do you have a set of steps (and a sample scene) that I can follow to reproduce this issue please?

Thanks

Paul

Here you go Paul :-)

Check the denoiser setting on the image (image1). As far i understand it should start denoising at 20 samples. Fact is ... the denoiser doesnt kick in at all.

The only way to make it work is to set !denoise on completition to ON! and set samples to a low value like 200. Then it denoises the image at 200 samples and stops rendering Image2). If i turn the samples after it denoised to a higher value ... like 2000 it steady denoises the image after a certain amount of samples till it reaches this 2000 samples at the end. (image3)

I suppose it should look and work like you see on IMAGE 3 without this step in between (limiting to a low samples count and seting this value up again)

This happens always and with every scene. I suppose this is why valzheimer is thinking the denoiser doesnt work for him.

- Sadly i cant prepare a scene with basic stuff to ilustrate the wrong posing and asset placing bug. It happens in a lot of scenes for me and i know i am not the only one with this problem.

- I copy what Valzheimer says about not working instacing in Stonemason assets. However this isnt only the case with his assets. I have done instancing on my own with this problem showing up. Again i cant provide a simple scene with no custom stuff to show this to you.
Attachments
IMAGE3.jpg
IMAGE2.jpg
IMAGE1.jpg
osiosiosi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:35 am

face_off Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:35 am
Check the denoiser setting on the image (image1). As far i understand it should start denoising at 20 samples. Fact is ... the denoiser doesnt kick in at all.

The only way to make it work is to set !denoise on completition to ON! and set samples to a low value like 200. Then it denoises the image at 200 samples and stops rendering Image2). If i turn the samples after it denoised to a higher value ... like 2000 it steady denoises the image after a certain amount of samples till it reaches this 2000 samples at the end. (image3)

I suppose it should look and work like you see on IMAGE 3 without this step in between (limiting to a low samples count and seting this value up again)

This happens always and with every scene. I suppose this is why valzheimer is thinking the denoiser doesnt work for him.
I think Octane Standalone works this way too. I do not see a denoised result until the end of the render (as far as I can tell).

- Sadly i cant prepare a scene with basic stuff to ilustrate the wrong posing and asset placing bug. It happens in a lot of scenes for me and i know i am not the only one with this problem.

- I copy what Valzheimer says about not working instacing in Stonemason assets. However this isnt only the case with his assets. I have done instancing on my own with this problem showing up. Again i cant provide a simple scene with no custom stuff to show this to you.
I really need a sample scene that shows this issue in order to fix it.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby valzheimer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:14 pm

valzheimer Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:14 pm
My problem with denoiser is at first it worked fine and works fine for lite scenes that are smaller (less geometry), denoiser would export as a pass no problem.
I could change sample number and get it to complete and denoise when I want it too.

With scenes where I would have for an example interior and a model together nothing happened upon completion of a render and render time would go way up
just for 100 samples it would take hours. Where this is inconvenient is that in that same time I can get a perfectly clear image in 3.8 instead of waiting for v4 and denoiser that never kicks in.

I can see where this may be the memory issue and v4 is maybe built for cards over 1080 with more vRAM, but it makes no sense to me that previous version worked fine on my rig.
valzheimer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:09 am

rajib Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:09 am
face_off wrote:
In the NGE, the preview images seem to be mixed up. See attached file. Looks like it rendered the face over the torso buffer. Hence the double image. All the previews are wrong for me. This is with the latest 4.0.0.40 verions
I was unable to replicate this issue.

Paul

Hi Paul,

My test setup is simple - I duplicated the Daz folder in the program files and set one with 3.08 plugin version and the other with 4.0 plugin version. Everything else is the same. I also replaced all my graphics cards with the same version. Now I am running 5 x 2080 TIs. I still get the wrong previews and render failures in NGE under 4.0 version and correct previews in NGE under 3.08 and very rare render failure messages. Maybe it is something on Otoy's side and not yours. Will wait for the RC7 to see if that fixes it.

Regards,
Rajib
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Notiusweb Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:07 pm
Is there something with the brightness as of the V4 plugin tests, default scenes always look blown out, much brightness.
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:55 am

face_off Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:55 am
Is there something with the brightness as of the V4 plugin tests, default scenes always look blown out, much brightness.
I think you need to set the environment power to 1 (it defaults to 1.5). I would appreciate feedback if users would like this default changed from 1.5 to 1.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby osiosiosi » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:50 pm

osiosiosi Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:50 pm
face_off wrote:
I think you need to set the environment power to 1 (it defaults to 1.5). I would appreciate feedback if users would like this default changed from 1.5 to 1.

Thanks

Paul

I was thinking the same when i tryed to use the "highlight setting". Something seems wrong here. In comparism to the 3.8 plugin this isnt useable anymore. Instead of pushing the highlights everything seems to become ... sort of radioactive. Sometimes its looks blown out ... sometimes its even showing strange colors.
osiosiosi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio