Daz Iray Lights in OCDS - IMAGINE IF....

Forums: Daz Iray Lights in OCDS - IMAGINE IF....
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Daz Iray Lights in OCDS - IMAGINE IF....

Postby Notiusweb » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:37 pm

Notiusweb Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:37 pm
Could you imagine if the Octane plugin for Daz could convert over the lighting information from Daz automatically?
Like, if it could approximate some value in Daz and translate that over to an OCDS prop-emitter value, and that prop would auto-convert also to be hidden from the render, and listed as a "Daz Scene Emitter" in objects?

This would be awesome, you could organize your entire scene in Daz...better yet, use Presets for lighting, and have it auto-translate over to OCDS.
Whoo....That would be AMAZING!
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Daz Iray Lights in OCDS - IMAGINE IF....

Postby RGUS » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:55 pm

RGUS Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:55 pm
Imagine...
WEB: http://rgus.deviantart.com/
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
RAM: 64GB
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 3.20 GHz
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11 Pro
OCTANE PLUGIN VERSION: 2022.1..1.302 Prime
DAZ STUDIO VERSION: 4.21.0.5 Pro Edition (64 bit)
RGUS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wader » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:20 am

wader Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:20 am
I wonder if face_off has previously mentioned why something along the lines of what @Notiusweb suggested is not a capability within this plugin. This is an area where the Poser plugin he worked on seems more capable - maybe it's due to Daz limitations, I do not know.

It would add greatly to the Daz plugin's usability, I feel: I just encountered yet another scene where over a dozen emissive surfaces were scattered among a single room object's lamps and each had to be manually created and adjusted in Octane . . . which adds to the laborious nature of handling new or updated Iray-compatible scenes. I can light via alternative means, but many Daz scenes are setup with lighting schemes which conveniently offer much of what we need - does get a bit tiresome after awhile to go through every Daz light and emissive surface to make manual conversions for Octane. Having a starting place would make this process faster to get going.

For all the Octane Daz plugin does today, is there nothing either profile-driven or otherwise a reasonably middle-ground default we might consider to translating emissive surfaces into Octane materials, perhaps?

I'd try to create my own script to search through a scene and do the conversions on-the-fly, but am unsure how a Daz script can update an Octane material setting (although I've been looking at the Redspec way of doing this and have only questions on some aspects of their mechanism).
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Ryzen 9 5950X | ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE | 64GB |{ASUS ROG Strix GTX 3090 24GB + (2x) Titan X Pascal 12GB}
wader
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby larsmidnatt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:16 am

larsmidnatt Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:16 am
wader wrote:I wonder if face_off has previously mentioned why something along the lines of what @Notiusweb suggested is not a capability within this plugin. This is an area where the Poser plugin he worked on seems more capable - maybe it's due to Daz limitations, I do not know.

Daz studio has limitations with plugins not sold on their store...Daz is nice like that. They don't play well with others, so getting anything to work is a major pain with no support from them. And Daz studio is a hot mess of a Frankenstein program too...but that's a different discussion.

OcDS has been on life support since the original developer quit. No new features, just minimal support for new versions of Octane. Without many of the new features that come with said upgrades...We tend to get more stuff removed that used to exist than things added...

:lol:

Edit: Though, I must add, I am somewhat happy OcDS still works at all. While I wish for more, Iray is such a mess that I couldn't imagine trying to switch over to that. And I spent several months using Octane Standalone before the Daz plugin came out. I couldn't go back to that either.

So while I sound a bit sour here most of the time, its really just all so bittersweet.
Win10 x64
i9 10900k 64GB
2080S 8GB
DS 4.15 OcDS Prime ^_^
larsmidnatt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wader » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:33 am

wader Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:33 am
larsmidnatt wrote:Daz studio has limitations with plugins not sold on their store...Daz is nice like that. They don't play well with others, so getting anything to work is a major pain with no support from them. And Daz studio is a hot mess of a Frankenstein program too...but that's a different discussion.

OcDS has been on life support since the original developer quit. No new features, just minimal support for new versions of Octane. Without many of the new features that come with said upgrades...We tend to get more stuff removed that used to exist than things added...

I suppose that's true in a fashion, but face_off has been gracious with taking requests on how he might handle new Iray shader combinations and does not always throw his hands in the air.

From a clue elsewhere in this forum, a recent scene which was a mess in Octane suddenly surpassed its native Iray equivalent with ease . . . after I brought in the Octane Universal material on a lark. Just drag and drop from an export made in the stand-alone to the Node Editor in Daz's plugin and things were fun again.

It feels as if we need a wiki or FAQ somewhere that people can just add in their own discoveries and tricks to make the plugin less challenging from all the Iray-isms that are thrown its way. One place to search on "Diffuse Overlay" when you can't recall the trick to making it work, for example.

On the flip side, I've tried and just can't enjoy Iray fully . . . especially given that Octane is sitting right next to it.

So, while I came from first using Octane in Poser and its tighter integration has certainly been missed . . . the Daz plugin is tantalizingly capable - I just want more :) .

Maybe if MDL is at least partially supported one day, we'll see the Daz plugin suddenly inherit the semblance of easier integration from at least the translation aspect.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Ryzen 9 5950X | ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE | 64GB |{ASUS ROG Strix GTX 3090 24GB + (2x) Titan X Pascal 12GB}
wader
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio