Octane Seems to be Crashing my computer after Final

Forums: Octane Seems to be Crashing my computer after Final
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Octane Seems to be Crashing my computer after Final

Postby SparkieShock » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:50 am

SparkieShock Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:50 am
So I've had this issue quite a bit now. I've looked through all my other software and my computer is solid on everything else except Octane Plugin for DAZ.

Initially I had an issue where my system wasn't getting enough power to the 3 titan X's (1300 Watts just ain't enough :P) .. and so after turning off on of the Titan's that seems to have settled things. BUT a problem persists.

I can work in DAZ with no real issue, with Octane (this is upon a fresh opening of DAZ) and do lots of editing, manipulation etc. And then I hit final .. everything goes to plan. It finals .. I save. Done.
No let's say I wish to work further .. render a new angle .. so I change some stuff and more often than not DAZ will then hang. I can't do anything .. the mouse is frozen .. keyboard unresponsive. There's no way to get a crash report out of this I think .. unless there is (please let me how).

Basically when I'm done with my first final. I have to close DAZ .. reopen, reload all this stuff in order to work further otherwise my computer will hang .. and loose all that valuable work.

I'd really love to know what the hell is going on under the hood. It seems to happen after I take Octane out of Final mode and resume working .. after 10 minutes the computer will hang. So I wonder if something isn't closing down right after the final button is unchecked and there's processes that are still running causing nothing but pure chaos for my CPU.

This is a real pain in the ass. I still can't use the Standalone app because .. it's a total mystery as to how that works. Wading my way through the tutorials but the interface is in no way intuitive .. unlike the plugin which works very well .. until it doesn't.

Let me know how I can get a crash report to you .. or if you know of this issue what I can do about it.

The hang always comes after I do the final .. and then have the audacity to keep working.
Win 10 Pro Edition - Intel i0 10900X - X299 MB - 128GB's KINGSTON FURY 3200 RAM - 2x RTX A6000 GPU's - 1300 Watt Power
DAZ3D - BLENDER - OCTANE STANDALONE and PLUGIN FOR DAZ - OCTANE PRIME for DAZ
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Seems to be Crashing my computer after Final

Postby face_off » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:40 am

face_off Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:40 am
If you are having this issue, I suggest not using the Final mode. The advantage of using Final is minor, so leave it unticked.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby SparkieShock » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:17 am

SparkieShock Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:17 am
Yes I've wondered what the use of Final is as it doesn't appear to add any quality difference .. one can still apply after FX, Camera Response etc. And so yes I've been working without using the Final function. So far I've had no crashes and have been able to make multiple renders in one session .. rather than just the one .. quit the app .. restart .. and repeat.

I'm only really bringing this to your attention because I think there's some process not shutting down properly after one exits 'final' and it's causing my computer to freeze. Happy to give you a crash report or anything that might help to understand this problem better. Octane is working much better for me .. as long as I don't enable my third Titan .. and don't use the Final function.
Win 10 Pro Edition - Intel i0 10900X - X299 MB - 128GB's KINGSTON FURY 3200 RAM - 2x RTX A6000 GPU's - 1300 Watt Power
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SparkieShock » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:18 am

SparkieShock Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:18 am
Just an update on this issue .. I realized lately that my computer is not drawing enough power .. one of my titan X's is a much higher clock speed than the other two and it requires more wattage than the 1300 watt PSU can draw. And so 'Final' mode was causing the computer to hang. I've since disabled one of the cards and the computer can use Octane in Final mode without crashing .. so it was a power issue .. not a bug with the software.
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio