Motion Blur

Forums: Motion Blur
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Motion Blur

Postby SparkieShock » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:15 am

SparkieShock Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:15 am
I know this has been asked before .. but back in 2016. I need a more current answer.

I'm trying to animate a movement of a simple object past a camera and I want a decent motion blur .. one of the prime reasons for me buying Octane was the inclusion of Motion Blur. However after several test renders there is still no motion blur to be seen. The animation is fairly smooth but looking at the stills it's clear the object is in perfect focus.

I thought it would be shutter speed that makes the difference but setting it to as low as 1/15th still didn't produce motion blur. I have set both objects and camera to motion blur in the hopes that I'd see something .... nothing.
So what gives .. what haven't I done. Or is Motion Blur in Octane for DAZ one of those things we'd all love to have .. but it's still not available yet?

Please let me know cuz I REALLY want to be able to use this.

UPDATE:
I have just been playing around with Viewport and I noticed that in the SFX tab that the Object Motion blur is greyed out? Is perhaps THIS what is causing the problem. If so .. how do I get that to work?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
You can see Object Blur greyed out on SFX tab
Win 10 Pro Edition - Intel i0 10900X - X299 MB - 128GB's KINGSTON FURY 3200 RAM - 2x RTX A6000 GPU's - 1300 Watt Power
DAZ3D - BLENDER - OCTANE STANDALONE and PLUGIN FOR DAZ - OCTANE PRIME for DAZ
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Motion Blur

Postby face_off » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:33 pm

face_off Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:33 pm
The easiest way to handle motion blur is to export the animation to ORBX and load that export file into Octane Standalone, where you can control the shutter speed, etc.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby SparkieShock » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:39 pm

SparkieShock Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:39 pm
I tried that but it didn't seem to export any animation .. it just exported a still scene. Does motion blur not work at all in the plugin?
Win 10 Pro Edition - Intel i0 10900X - X299 MB - 128GB's KINGSTON FURY 3200 RAM - 2x RTX A6000 GPU's - 1300 Watt Power
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:17 am

face_off Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:17 am
I tried that but it didn't seem to export any animation .. it just exported a still scene. Does motion blur not work at all in the plugin?
Can you post a screenshot showing how you exported the animation pls?

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby SparkieShock » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:35 am

SparkieShock Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:35 am
Well a screen shot might not tell you anything that a bit of text wouldn't do better. Basically on the System tab I used "Export Complete scene". I've tried this as all three file stypes. The first type (I can't recall it's name right now) ... OCS .. and ABC.
Getting them into the standlone thing I find I have no clue what the hell to do to get this to even show me an image. I've tried to look up tutorial videos for using Octane Standalone but they all seem to be for much older versions. The OCS imported something that had a frame count .. but just a grey screen?!?
ABC did nothing that I can discern .. and the first file type made an import of a still scene .. no frame count .. but only rendered something in the viewer port after I had a clicking fit just trying to get it to do something .. ANYTHING!!

I gotta say the Standalone app is not very intuitive and there's next to no help that I can find in trying to use it. The plugin works MUCH better for me because I can actually see a result .. affect changes etc, and make an export. Sure DAZ and Octane crash all of the time so I've learned to hit 'save file' after making any change.
I'm not sure what to give you as a crash report as literally anything I'm working on will stop working after a certain amount of time. Anything from a still of a character .. to a scene with 4 characters .. or just a single starship.

My computer is no slouch .. but it's hard to know what the problem is. If this is just DAZ being a pain in the arse .. perhaps so, or if any one of a thousand different pieces of hardware or software drivers in my PC isn't working properly. With 3 titan X's you'd think you'd get some decent stability.

Anyways, point is that the standalone app is a total mystery as to how to get it to do anything. I realize this is more MY problem that anything to do with the app .. but coming from the plugin where things tend to work (more or less .. crashes not withstanding) .. it's a complete halt in the workflow. In all this I can only wonder ... why ... just why won't motion blur work in the plugin ?!?. It's mostly all I need it to do. That and not crash.
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:12 am

face_off Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:12 am
I would suggest reading the Octane Standalone manual (https://docs.otoy.com/StandaloneH_DEV/StandaloneManual.htm) and there are a lot of videos at https://docs.otoy.com/Portal/Videos_Standalone.htm.

It is also worth reading the plugin release notes at https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=55214

3.0.15.21 (21-May-2016)
- Compiled with Octane 3 beta 4 (3.0.15).
- Animation motion blur is now working again. Use the current camera Motion Blur and Shutter Speed parameters to set this up. WARNING: Both these parameters can be animated, so make sure you go to frame 0 to set these up for the entire animation sequence. The plugin does NOT pickup the FPS from the DAZStudio Timeline - so you should set DAZStudio to Octane's default fps of 24.0 fps. Motion blur is also working when exporting to OCS via System->Alembic Export

So click the Alembic Export button, and save to an ABC file - and a wrapper .OCS file will also be created in the same folder, which you can load into Octane Standalone.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to DAZ Studio