How to determine DOF

Forums: How to determine DOF
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

How to determine DOF

Postby foxtrot08 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:27 am

foxtrot08 Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:27 am
Hi guys. I'm still very new to Octane and the DAZ plugin, but I was wondering if there was a way to determine where in the scene the actual subjects will be in focus and the rest will be blurred. For instance, in the camera settings in DAZ, you can turn on the DOF option and you can actually see in the viewport where there are two planes which tells me whatever is in between those two planes, will be in focus. Is there something like this or an easier way to do DOF?
foxtrot08
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How to determine DOF

Postby SparkieShock » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:34 am

SparkieShock Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:34 am
DOF, in a real camera, is typically determined by the combination or the type of lens used, it's width, and the F-stop.

In the digital world it's a little trickier because you can cheat and achieve DOF's not possible in real life without a lot of very complicated lenses and impossible F-stops. in a real camera altering F-stop also alters the exposure ... whereas in octane F-stop only changes the DOF.

Basically it's up to you. If you're wanting something more realistic I'd suggest watching some youtube videos by Hugh Fenton, or Roger Deakins as they explain cinematography.

I recommend watching this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwtpJ3T8eK4 .. as it explains a LOT about achieving certain looks.

Gaining knowledge on what's possible with a real camera helps maintaining realism. But when it comes right down to it .. there's no right or wrong way. There are ways in which you'll make the image more surreal .. or more uncomfortable .. or the opposite depending on the lighting you use and the DOF. So really it's down to what kind of feel you want .. and what you're trying to say.

Just my two cents worth.
Win 10 Pro Edition - Intel i0 10900X - X299 MB - 128GB's KINGSTON FURY 3200 RAM - 2x RTX A6000 GPU's - 1300 Watt Power
DAZ3D - BLENDER - OCTANE STANDALONE and PLUGIN FOR DAZ - OCTANE PRIME for DAZ
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio