Saving as Jpeg .. or TIFF .. or literally ANYTHING ELSE?!?

Forums: Saving as Jpeg .. or TIFF .. or literally ANYTHING ELSE?!?
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Saving as Jpeg .. or TIFF .. or literally ANYTHING ELSE?!?

Postby SparkieShock » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:14 pm

SparkieShock Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:14 pm
Okay so I'm a noob at Octane. Only been using it a few days (although I bought it months ago), and naturally I know next to nothing about using it. I know how to crash it plenty :P .. but here's one thing I could REALLY enjoy knowing.

How do you save a final render as a TIFF .. or JPEG?

I have reworded this on google, on this forum about 14 billion different ways and it seems no one has ever asked this question. Or if they did I got buried. It's a really simple thing and I can't find anything on this. A note for writers of simple blurbs and instructions .. things that create pictures .. it's REALLY handy to know how to save, and what you can save as. Just saying.
Yes you may note a certain tone of aggravation in my writing .. and that's simply because when you google search "What formats can Octane save as? .. How do a save as jpeg in Octane? .. Octane save as? .. etc" for an evening and a morning and found no answers .. it wears one down.

I would appreciate knowing. Even if the answer is that Octane only saves as PNG or EXR. Which would really suck if that's it .. but if that's it then I'll just make do.
Many thanks to the brave soul who takes pity on me and lets me in on this apparently very secrety secret :D
Sparkie
Win 10 Pro Edition - Intel i0 10900X - X299 MB - 128GB's KINGSTON FURY 3200 RAM - 2x RTX A6000 GPU's - 1300 Watt Power
DAZ3D - BLENDER - OCTANE STANDALONE and PLUGIN FOR DAZ - OCTANE PRIME for DAZ
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Saving as Jpeg .. or TIFF .. or literally ANYTHING ELSE?!?

Postby SparkieShock » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:19 pm

SparkieShock Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:19 pm
Oh and if anyone's interested in my work .. here's my first ever Octane render. After many MANY crashes and other assorted errors .. a render, a BEAUTIFUL, AWESOME RENDER .. of the Starship USS Enterprise emerged.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tw2ttmmencln40v/Enterprise%20Octane.jpg?dl=0
Win 10 Pro Edition - Intel i0 10900X - X299 MB - 128GB's KINGSTON FURY 3200 RAM - 2x RTX A6000 GPU's - 1300 Watt Power
DAZ3D - BLENDER - OCTANE STANDALONE and PLUGIN FOR DAZ - OCTANE PRIME for DAZ
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:57 pm

face_off Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:57 pm
Octane only saves as PNG or EXR.

Also, it should not crash. Can you pls provide the information requested at https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=55214.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Notiusweb » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Notiusweb Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:39 pm
Just on the JPG end of things...

I asked for this a while back when V2 was changing to V3. Because in fact, an earlier version of V3 plugin could export to JPG, and it was then removed in a V3 build update. FaceOff took over the plugin development towards the end of the V2 development cycle, whee the previous developer had a JPG save option.

When I asked, FaceOff told me that the Standalone only saves to PNG or EXR, and thus he was looking to make the plugin as consistent as possible to the Standalone. I argued your points, SparkieShock, but he explained that old lines of code could in effect clash with newer ones being created for V3, so having code instructions that are not in the Standalone build in the first place would complicate and potentially hurt the coding process moving forward. He referred me to request that the Standalone be updated to allow JPG.

So, to the credit of a developer's point of view, doing this is consistent with looking to optimize the plugin for us. Did you ever have an IT person in a company tell you that something can't or shouldn't be done because of some 'system thing', and you are left standing there thinking, "You heard nothing of what I said! What I asked for is going to make me getting my job done so much better....!". Well, they are thinking the exact same thing, from their point of view.

Now, as far as the Standalone goes, a request will fall on deaf ears, I already tried requesting:
(1) A company will move if it earns them more $, for some reason it may be viewed that allowing users to export to JPG may hurt some alliance or relationship, marketing of the product, or productivity flow that impedes $. They have to consider a larger cohesive vision that allows them to sell their product, in the way they see fit to do it.
(2) Many users do not in fact animate, so they see no harm in having the higher performing PNG for still renders, and in fact see it as upholding a greater presentation of their own work. Thus, they in turn will combat you for even considering the JPG option, and all its artifacty badness. I have seen this in many forums, users protest the idea of using JPG frames in a render, as if not using PNG is desecrating the process. All in the name of image, and they want to uphold that image, it matters not what image or vision you have. And everyone is entitled to their opinion.
(3) Consider this- media outlets many times will require, or recommend, higher visual criteria for submission to their company for consideration or output. So, if you ghad to choose A vs B, you would rather have a 16 and 32 bit option to output media to, as it will meet industry standard in a lot of professional cases.

But I am with you, when you animate, even with PNG, then you will inevitably compress the video down with some codec, thus reducing the visual quality anyway, so it's, to us, just a big waste of space in the end.
In some ways they don't get it, a great art work in JPG beats a bad artwork in PNG. Like, some older films were masterpieces, but they were not filmed in HD, right? So it's just a philosophical meandering.
And, I have asked for JPG more than once, and it was not seen as, "Yeah, we could do that, sure. We know this will make your workflow more manageable on your end, so we are happy to do it for you."
That is not what has happened. Now, it has happened, in other cases, for other requests. So not at all a knock. But in historical context, not for this one.

And you can export as 8bit PNG to reduce file size, but it never gets as low and efficient as JPG.
But just do this, don't worry about what is not being done by someone else, find and optimize ways for you to do it your way!
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby GGBB » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:53 pm

GGBB Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:53 pm
The JPEG uses a lossy compression method (meaning you lose information in the process) so it is probably a bad idea to save your render in such a format. You should always keep your original image in a looseless format, e.g PNG. You can then convert your PNG in JPEG with gimp or imagemagick (you can batch convert with imagemagick).
GGBB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:31 pm

mojave Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:31 pm
JPG in contrast to PNG or EXR, which are also compressed image formats, uses loosy a compression algorithm (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossy_compression) which will cause your renders to look spotchy depending on the degree of compression you use. Because of this Octane exports using just formats that will keep the highest possible quality of the render output.

This hasn't been a popular feature request so far, so development efforts need to be focused on what the majority of the users need.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Zay » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:33 pm

Zay Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:33 pm
I do hope JPG will be added at some point. So we need more voters!
https://render.otoy.com/requests/?qa=14 ... w=143#q143
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:14 pm

frankmci Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:14 pm
Zay wrote:I do hope JPG will be added at some point. So we need more voters!
https://render.otoy.com/requests/?qa=14 ... w=143#q143

I think you'll find most professional animators who bother to vote would vote this down. I'd much, much, much rather see OTOY put their resources toward something like support for the full suite of projection mapping options for displacement, a feature that has real impact on the core functionality of what their tool is really all about. That, or dozens of the other 150 or so feature requests that have more user votes than .jpg support.

Native support for lower quality image formats is just not a high enough priority to justify the development and support resources. Yes, that's true whether you're talking for stills or thousands of frames of animation. And that's not to mention the fact that drive space is insanely dirt cheap. Even back when a single 9 gig SCSI drive would set you back $3,000 dollars, pro animation tools' native output formats were generally big, lossless files. These days you can stick an extra 4000 gigs on your machine for less than $100. It's like a writer working over wifi on their laptop in a coffee shop complaining that saving to .pdf or Word files is too big and cumbersome compared to .txt files.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio