Scattering node slider issue

Forums: Scattering node slider issue
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Scattering node slider issue

Postby dmango » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:49 am

dmango Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:49 am
Hey, I'm quite new so forgive me if I seem silly.

I've been messing with this plugin and some materials from the DB. I've noticed that people on this forum have been setting the Density (previously Scale) slider for Scattering nodes to values over 1000. My slider says it has an upper bound of 10000. However, it only reaches 1000. Some of the skin shaders I've tried out definitely seem like they need more than 1000 to look correct. I can't seem to find an obvious way to increase the upper bound.

I'm running R3.8.0.38 Subscription.
I really appreciate any advise on the issue.

Here's an image. You can see Density says it has an upper bound of 10000, but the slider all the way to the right only goes to 1000.
Attachments
density.png
dmango
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Scattering node slider issue

Postby linvanchene » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:11 pm

linvanchene Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:11 pm
Hello dmango

Some sliders are limited to those ranges of values that are most useful for the specific variable.

If a wider range is possible you can always enter numberic values manually by:

- clicking on the number entry field with the mouse
- enter any number in the possible range with the keyboard
- click enter on the keyboard

-> now the preview screen should update

- - -

Density is a variable where in most cases you will notice a difference by using very small numbers.
like 0.1, 0.5, 1, 5 etc. 1000 is already very dense. With 5000 or 10'000 you may not see a difference at all.

Density 0.1.jpg
Density 0.1

Density 1.jpg
Density 1

Density 100.jpg
Density 100

Density 5000.jpg
Density 5000

Hope this helps you get started.
Win 10 Pro 64bit | Rendering: 2 x ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO | Asus RTX NVLink Bridge 4-Slot | Intel Core i7 5820K | ASUS X99-E WS| 64 GB RAM
FAQ: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - FAQ link collection
linvanchene
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby dmango » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:52 pm

dmango Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:52 pm
I really appreciate the detailed response! Apparently the plugin was bugging out on me before because I was unable to manually change the values. Trust me, it was the first thing I tried.

Restarted DAZ fresh and it worked for about 5 minutes, then I couldn't manually change anything anymore. So I closed the nodegraph editor and the octane tab and afterwards it worked when I tried again. When it's not working, I can click the box, the existing value gets highlighted and if I type a number, nothing changes.

Most skin shaders I've tried definitely don't need high density values, but one popular one called tonysculptor only looks correct now that I've cranked the density way up. I'm just following the advise of other posts I've read on this forum. But in this specific case it seems to make a big difference. Guess I'll need to properly learn how everything works so I can figure out why it makes a difference in this case.

Thanks so much for the help.
dmango
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:05 am

face_off Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:05 am
So I closed the nodegraph editor and the octane tab and afterwards it worked when I tried again. When it's not working, I can click the box, the existing value gets highlighted and if I type a number, nothing changes.
I have had this happen too. It seems to be a Qt or DazStudio bug, where the mouse clicks are being sent to the wrong window, but it's never something I could reliably reproduce to investigate.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to DAZ Studio