Imported materials won't edit

Forums: Imported materials won't edit
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Imported materials won't edit

Postby valzheimer » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:42 am

valzheimer Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:42 am
So I mixed a material in Octane Standalone (3.07), saved to LocalDB, imported via material import to OcDs, saved as a copy and when I try applying that material to a surface it acts up and even though NGE shows I have plugged in the maps and replaced ones I had temporarily set in standalone, viewport still renders like shader isn't changed.

I've tried numerous times and saved copies of copies and nothing allows the change to show in a render, what am I doing wrong, and is it possible to import material and then edit copies of them? I get this same thing when I export Environments from OcDs to a saved location and when I re-import them, no settings show changes no matter how much I change them (ie time is always 14hrs, HDRI is always the same).

Is there a valid explanation to this and what are limitations of Daz plugin with imports?

Thanks,
V.

EDIT: sort of a workaround that works for materials for now is to edit in NGE in the plugin, save as material preset inside Daz Studio and reload the scene to apply from saved preset and then load from embedded data. This allows the material to be edited. Maps didn't save with the preset though I had to reload them but all channels seem to be saved embedded. If there's any other way would be greatly appreciated.
valzheimer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Imported materials won't edit

Postby face_off » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:43 am

face_off Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:43 am
Hi. May I suggest posting screenshot and a sample scene when reporting an issue like this, and use clear terms (since "it acts up" is not that helpful). Its pretty hard to work out exactly the problem you are having. I have noticed imported Environments not working unless you save and then reload the scene, but the cause of this is unlikely to cause a problem with materials.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Imported materials won't edit

Postby valzheimer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:59 am

valzheimer Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:59 am
face_off wrote:Hi. May I suggest posting screenshot and a sample scene when reporting an issue like this, and use clear terms (since "it acts up" is not that helpful). Its pretty hard to work out exactly the problem you are having. I have noticed imported Environments not working unless you save and then reload the scene, but the cause of this is unlikely to cause a problem with materials.

Paul

Hi, thank you for getting back on this topic I really appreciate it. I'm unable toprovide screenshots as I have since moved away from said materials, but by "acting up" I meant exactly happens as I mentioned forward in my comment. Exact process was:

- create material in standalone
- save to LocalDB
- import to Daz plugin from LocalDB
- copy the material once imported and save as a copy to my materials in the plugin (I saw this suggested here in the forum that saving as a copy is important)

errors from this:
- when this saved copy is applied to a surface it won't accept any edits, ie: texture/image files will show in NGE as new texture/image files (replaced), but render will show the ones from state of import (like they're not replaced).

what I tried next:
Daz Studio has an option to Save as>Material Preset which saves embedded data for Octane material with DS mat preset, if Octane material was loaded in the plugin at the time of saving. This saved the shader but caused textures to not show at all, although, this way, shader node looked correct, just with empty texture slots, so textures had to be manually reloaded. From this onward saving as copy for further use inside the plugin went on well, allowed editing, saved textures with a copy and so on.

I'm not sure if I explained it clear enough, hope it makes sense now.
valzheimer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio