Raised edges for geo-grafted prop

Forums: Raised edges for geo-grafted prop
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Raised edges for geo-grafted prop

Postby wader » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:23 am

wader Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:23 am
(I hope this post meets submission guidelines, because it involves a question of Octane rendering a geo-grafted genital prop for a Daz 3D figure - so, I linked to the example images instead of embedding them directly in this post.)

I am using the Victoria 7 figure with a geo-grafted prop (called "3feetwolf’s New Genitalia For Victoria 7") that apparently uses scripts to help marge the materials for helping enable a seamless look:

. . . the script will automatically adjust the UV and Shader of the new gens to match your character. Then the material settings of the character skin will be copied to the new gens. At last, the script will automatically use corresponding templates and character skin textures to generate required textures. When the script is finished, the new gens will be added to your character, and its materials and textures have also been set up completely.

Setup:
First, I instantiate a new Victoria 7 figure, apply all materials that came with the package and then add the geo-grafting prop (which automatically runs its scripts for the materials matching, etc.)

In Octane Render for Daz Studio (v 3.7.0.37), I sometimes have "Automatic material updates . . ." turned on, otherwise I go into its Materials tab and choose the "Missing . . ." option to have them migrate/interpreted all at once.

Results:
In 3Delight (with basic materials) and Iray (with Iray-specific materials), the geo-grafted item appears reasonably seamless with the figure, as advertised.

In Octane with either materials set, if "Try to map Geo Graft replacement materials internally" is not selected, then all edges of the prop where it grafted to the figure's "torso" appear "raised" over the figure's materials.

If I select that ". . . Geo Graft . . ." option in Octane, then the edges in the "torso" area disappear, but new raised edges appear in the "anus" section of the grafted figure.

So, the "Geo Graft" option definitely helps the outer edge become seamless with the figure while causing another area (which appears to be inside the graft) to fail, somehow.

NSFW links:
Without "Geo Graft" option (NSFW)
With "Geo Graft" option (NSFW)

I'm curious if there is anything I might try to help this situation so it can render fully seamlessly in Octane. Ideas welcome.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Ryzen 9 5950X | ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE | 64GB |{ASUS ROG Strix GTX 3090 24GB + (2x) Titan X Pascal 12GB}
wader
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Raised edges for geo-grafted prop

Postby DrHemulen » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:34 pm

DrHemulen Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:34 pm
Just try again. Delete the prop and apply it again. I've had that happen once in a while with different Geo-grafts (including that one), it usually works fine the second time I try.
GTX 780, 6 gigs of VRAM - Win 7 Home Premium 64 bits
DrHemulen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FastKatt » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:37 pm

FastKatt Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:37 pm
Without using the Octane Geograft option, you can get rid of these raised seems by adjusting the displacement "Mid level" to around .5 on the OCtane Torso and Anus materials of New Genitalia.
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 4.2GHz
GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2
RAM: 32GB
Tools: Modo | Daz Studio
FastKatt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wader » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:16 pm

wader Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:16 pm
DrHemulen wrote:Just try again. Delete the prop and apply it again. I've had that happen once in a while with different Geo-grafts (including that one), it usually works fine the second time I try.

Thanks for that suggestion - I've tried this in various workflow combinations about twenty times :) , wondering if different combinations and materials (e.g., standard vs Iray-optimized) might help. Mostly the same results each time, unfortunately.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Ryzen 9 5950X | ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE | 64GB |{ASUS ROG Strix GTX 3090 24GB + (2x) Titan X Pascal 12GB}
wader
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wader » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:21 pm

wader Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:21 pm
FastKatt wrote:Without using the Octane Geograft option, you can get rid of these raised seems by adjusting the displacement "Mid level" to around .5 on the OCtane Torso and Anus materials of New Genitalia.

Wow, that works perfectly! 0.5 seemed fine for both materials regions - much thanks!

If I might ask, how did you figure this out, please?
wader
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FastKatt » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:44 am

FastKatt Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:44 am
wader wrote:
FastKatt wrote:Without using the Octane Geograft option, you can get rid of these raised seems by adjusting the displacement "Mid level" to around .5 on the OCtane Torso and Anus materials of New Genitalia.

Wow, that works perfectly! 0.5 seemed fine for both materials regions - much thanks!

If I might ask, how did you figure this out, please?

You're welcome.

The raised edges didn't appear to be a gap between meshes. i took a quick look at the node graph (easier for me to "read" than the material pane) and the displacement node stood out to me as the most likely culprit for creating an "filled offset" between the meshes at render time.
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 4.2GHz
GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2
RAM: 32GB
Tools: Modo | Daz Studio
FastKatt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sinfulsecrets » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:21 pm

sinfulsecrets Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:21 pm
I have a different problem. All my grafted props appear black where the color layer is applied to the prop. Anyone have any ideas? It appears perfectly in iray and 3delight. Octane is where is freaks out. I would post a screenshot but it would be a lot more nsfw than the 2 original images posted. Lol

Blacked out graft prop - Kinda NSFW
Can't get anything right...
sinfulsecrets
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:52 pm

face_off Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:52 pm
This is probably a Kernel->Ray Epsilon issue where very close vertices are causing self-shadowing. Try turning off the auto-ray epsilon calculation and set it to the lowest value possible in the Kernel settings. Or offset the geo-craft prop a fraction.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby sinfulsecrets » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 am

sinfulsecrets Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 am
With the Ray Epsilon set to it's lowest, the problem actually gets a little bit worse. Only in that area though.
I am at a complete loss here.
Can't get anything right...
sinfulsecrets
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 am

face_off Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 am
I suggest moving the geo craft geometry slightly away from the body geometry in that case. Perhaps other DAZStudio plugin users can let us know how they handle this situation?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to DAZ Studio