how is the material compatibility for daz octane?

Forums: how is the material compatibility for daz octane?
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

how is the material compatibility for daz octane?

Postby frewinhu » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:33 am

frewinhu Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:33 am
I use octane for cinema4d and modo already, but i'm debating on whether to get the daz plugin. daz already has great skin tex plugins (wet skin textures etc.) for iray but i'm wondering if it possible to translate all that to octane?

and how much better/faster is octane at rendering animations compared to vray, vray seems to have teh speed advantage in terms of accessibility and how it's fully integrated with daz, octane im guessing has zero support for the built int daz materials...

can anyone share their experience on this? i'm only asking cuz i suffered tremondously trying to texture realistic skin in cinema 4d with octane, there is literally no good guides on ultra realistic skin texturing for c4d, but with iray everything was already built in, i could get any kind of skin texture i want with a few plugins. I guess what i'm asking is, if i get octane for daz3d, will i still have to mess a shitton with the node editor to get iray skin texture results? cuz otherwise i would might as well just export my daz model into c4d and continue messing with octane nodes in there rather than get the daz version and suffer thru the same exact thing.
frewinhu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: how is the material compatibility for daz octane?

Postby Leonides02 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:46 am

Leonides02 Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:46 am
The skin can come out looking pretty good if you purchase the textures from the Octane vendors. However, the optional add-ons (wet skin, etc) will probably not work without extensive modification. Same with the scenes. They need a lot of work to convert. I stopped using Octane because any speed gain based on the render was totally lost due to the time it took to convert materials. :shock:
Leonides02
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DrHemulen » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:26 pm

DrHemulen Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:26 pm
Wow, yeah you are right. Now that I think about it, I haven't actually been rendering anything in the last year or so, just sitting around messing with materials. The idea was that you could use the material library for easy conversions, but the scale is always off in a bunch of parameters and everything ends up looking weird.
Iray's kinda the other way around. If you like the given materials it's really fast. If you juuuust want to add a fall-off node to a material and open the shader mixer, your brain implodes.

You have to do a lot more material work in Octane, but it's SO much simpler than in Iray.
GTX 780, 6 gigs of VRAM - Win 7 Home Premium 64 bits
DrHemulen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Leonides02 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:12 am

Leonides02 Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:12 am
Yep. That's why I've bought a metric ton of shaders. That way, if I don't like the one that came in the scene, I can almost always find a better one in my library. :)
Leonides02
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frewinhu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:22 am

frewinhu Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:22 am
Leonides02 wrote:Yep. That's why I've bought a metric ton of shaders. That way, if I don't like the one that came in the scene, I can almost always find a better one in my library. :)

Can you list a link of octane shaders for Daz for me?

I got the Daz plugin and I'd like to get started with all this, it would be really helpful if u can start by linking all the octane daz resources out there.
frewinhu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Leonides02 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:59 am

Leonides02 Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:59 am
Sorry, I meant Iray shaders (so I can customize). AFAIK there are no Octane shaders for Daz other than what's in the database.

Oh, and these skin shaders: http://redspec-sss.com/all_tailored.html
Leonides02
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio