From 2x to 3x - couple questions from a returning user :)

Forums: From 2x to 3x - couple questions from a returning user :)
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

From 2x to 3x - couple questions from a returning user :)

Postby shoni89 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:15 am

shoni89 Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:15 am
Hi everyone, I’m a returning user who hasn’t touched DAZ nor Octane in the past 2,5 years or so. I currently own both Octane Standalone 2x and its DAZ plugin 2x but I see the new version 3x has come out and it’s the only one that gets updated (correct me if I’m wrong).

I have a quick question for you guys: would an upgrade to the 3x version be recommended for me? I remember how slow it was back then with the DAZ plugin updates and all… is it any better now? Even if not 100% stable I loved the DAZ plugin integration within DAZ itself… what are the biggest/most significative new features of the 3x version? I plan on using G8F mostly and G3F/G2F for my renders, how are the skins recognized by the it? Do they require lots of tweaks to get realistic looking results? Any more improved things worth mentioning…?

Thank you for your time :)

In case you’re curious about my past works you can find my „old“ gallery at shoni89.deviantart.com :)
shoni89
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: From 2x to 3x - couple questions from a returning user :)

Postby face_off » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:29 am

face_off Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:29 am
Hi. You can check the latest DEMO version which will answer most of your questions. The plugin is currently quite up to date, and tracks the latest Octane version closely.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby shoni89 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:05 am

shoni89 Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:05 am
Thank you I will try out the demo at soonest! I just wanted to read a quick sum up of the major improvements from 2x, IRAY mats compatibility etc.
shoni89
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:18 am

face_off Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:18 am
You can see all the changes to the plugin in the release notes - at https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=55214.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby larsmidnatt » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:04 am

larsmidnatt Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:04 am
shoni89 wrote:Thank you I will try out the demo at soonest! I just wanted to read a quick sum up of the major improvements from 2x, IRAY mats compatibility etc.

From my experience 3delight presets work better as a starting point than IRay. Iray presets don't even have transparency, but this isn't exclusive to Octane plugin, they don't show the transparency map in daz studio either...but you can manually find them via browsing.

3DL presets transparency work by default...so when they are there I use them. Though I know nowadays they are not provided in many products. (so hair and eye lashes for example, and some clothes this is a thing to think about)

I always find it best to tweak settings regardless. However some presets work nicely by default. Because of lighting you'll likely want to tweak to make the best result. Just depends on what you are looking for.
Win10 x64
i9 10900k 64GB
2080S 8GB
DS 4.15 OcDS Prime ^_^
larsmidnatt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio