Green screen / transparent rendering?

Forums: Green screen / transparent rendering?
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Green screen / transparent rendering?

Postby Rik56 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:26 am

Rik56 Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:26 am
Hi there,
I am looking for a way to create renders with alpha channel (so that the render can be layered later on in post), is it possible? If not, what would be a best way to set up green environment which does not effect the models in it (so they don't get green hue).

I guess another way would be to have the environment white and all the models black, so I can use it as luma matte. But that would require me to change all the materials before render.

Thanks!
Rik56
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Green screen / transparent rendering?

Postby face_off » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:25 pm

face_off Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:25 pm
Hi - tick the Kernel->Alpha Channel checkbox and then save the render to PNG and load into Photoshop to overlay it on a background image.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Rik56 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:55 pm

Rik56 Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:55 pm
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Now I am looking for a way to set up material so it is not rendered, but still obscures the objects behind it. (basical creates a "hole" in the image). It looks like "shadow catcher" is the option I am looking for, but the invisible materials are still shaded. Is there some way to disable the shadows?

Hopefuly the picture wil make it cleare, this is the result I am looking for, but I would like to get rid of the shadows on the sphere.
Rik56
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Isotemod » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:07 pm

Isotemod Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:07 pm
I don't think there is a 1 step method of producing this effect but if you use the info channel kernel type "render layer ID" and set the objects to the same render layer that you want to be "green" activate the alpha channel then you will have a mask that you can convert the "green" to alpha and load that into your normal renders alpha channel.
Isotemod
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DrHemulen » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:32 pm

DrHemulen Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:32 pm
I used to do something simliar with an extra low quality 3Dlight render, where I just used the masking information. I'm not sure if the cameras still match up 1:1 with octane, but it worked fine for me back then.
GTX 780, 6 gigs of VRAM - Win 7 Home Premium 64 bits
DrHemulen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio