For Users Experiencing Problems Converting IRay Materials

Forums: For Users Experiencing Problems Converting IRay Materials
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: For Users Experiencing Problems Converting IRay Materials

Postby rajib » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:54 am

rajib Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:54 am
face_off wrote:Below is a pre-release of the next version of the plugin, which will hopefully address the two issues raised so far in this thread.

3.5.3.31 (pre-release)
- Added error message if you try to import an OCS/ORBX which contains more than one material
- Fixed a number of IRay material conversion issues

https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloads/plugins/d9/d6/d2/27/OctaneRender_for_DazStudio_3_5_3_31_Win64.exe

Paul

Thanks Paul :).
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby HadCancer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:39 am

HadCancer Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:39 am
Since DAZ refuses to even support my P5000 card they recommenced I get Octane. I have now owned Octane for DAZ for 6-12 months. It worked but the results were always less than I got when I could just used DAZ's default Iray render engine. I thought it was just me being a newbie. Water conversion was always terrible. Then on a brand new purchased scene from DAZ Octane converted a road to look like muddy water. This was the closest thing to water with its reflections I have ever gotten. Octane is also the most buggy program I have handled and reminded me of some of the early DOS programs that were out there when I got my first DOS computer with a big 8MB hard drive.. Octane frequently crashes and of course usually when I have forgotten to save so I of course lose everything. Also Octane frequently will lock in a render and will not accept or rebuild the scene to accept changes I have madeso of course I have start ove After leaving the art world in Feb. of this year. I briefly returned and lamented my woes at Rendo and Posted Octanes water road render. The person who is all over if I have not saved. If I have saved I have to shut done DAZ Studio and reopen to get it to work again. A peron who is all over this thread informed me Octane was working on a fix but at present he tweaks every single material that is converted and of course the lighting issues suck also in Octane. I am old and just have a few years to live. I do not have the time nor the technical knowledge to adjust every texture. I will try the beta program listed in this thread and hopefully it will work well enough to inspire me to do art again. At this point my only choices are to quit art. Sell my state of the art (at the time) computer at a big loss buy a slower computer so I can use DAZ again or hope I live long enough for either DAZ or Octane to catch up. I realize that the DAZ plug in is not a big profit center for Octane so there is really no incentive for Octane to really support the program, just like it was not an incentive for DAZ to support my P5000 as I am likely the only user that was dumb enough to purchase such a high end card for a program that is offered out for free. Sorry for this rant. I am just so frustrated that I can not even come close to being as good as I used to be, and the beautiful scenes in I see in my head just render out as nightmares.
HadCancer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:12 pm

face_off Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:12 pm
Sorry for this rant.
If you have a specific issue with a material conversion, pls follow the instructions at the top of this thread, and I can look into providing a fix for the problem.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Masterstroke » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:52 pm

Masterstroke Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:52 pm
Hi Paul.
I am not completley happy with IRAy2Octane conversion either. Especially bump maps seem to be a problem, for they come in way to strong. i have also been a Reality user, a tool, that converts DS or Poser materials to the Lux renderer. I like what this converter does and would like to ask, if something like that could work for an IRAy to Octane mat converter as well. The idea is to have material presets, that give the best possible material setting inside the octane plug in. It could work like to apply a "skin" setting and all the selected materials switch to the best octane skin settings. Other presets could be "Metal", "Lights", Fluids, "rocks" and many more. Is something like this possible? Sorry, if it already exists and I havn't discover it yet. ;-)
Masterstroke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gamersglory » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:08 am

gamersglory Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:08 am
Well Nvidia Open sourced there MDL SDK so maybe can use that to help with Material conversion

Might this help https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/08/1 ... e-mdl-sdk/
https://github.com/NVIDIA/MDL-SDK
gamersglory
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:17 am

face_off Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:17 am
Well Nvidia Open sourced there MDL SDK so maybe can use that to help with Material conversion
I think that would only be of assistance to the DAZStudio plugin if OTOY added support for MDL in Octane. Just using the MDL SDK would not provide the information required to load a DAZStudio material into Octane.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby gamersglory » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:10 pm

gamersglory Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:10 pm
wallace wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:If Octane has this NVidia cuDNN stuff inside it, would this then mean that possibly at some point Octane could directly handle Nvidia's .mdl materials, and Iray Uber Shaders?

Also, any direct PBR SBSAR material import and Octane.

cudnn is only a library which we use for denoiser, our material system has absolutely no dependency on it currently.

Sbsar and MDL are definitely on the to do list, but there are quite a few things that will happen before them. Namely layered material node and spectron features that were shown in SIGGRAPH 2018.

:D
gamersglory
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gamersglory » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:17 am

gamersglory Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:17 am
So is this new Octane Universal Material like Iray's Uber Material. If that is so then this could remedy a lot of translation headaches between Daz Iray to Octane conversion
gamersglory
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to DAZ Studio