Terradome - 3

Forums: Terradome - 3
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: Terradome - 3

Postby sikotik13 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:18 am

sikotik13 Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:18 am
Yes, it will hand over the information, however the issue is that it was written specifically for only how Iray reads that information, which is why the viewport (which runs off of either 3delight or plain ol' OpenGL, if I remember right) also shows pretty much what you'll get out of Octane. The only way to get it to look anything like it does in Iray in Octane (or any other rendering engine that isn't Iray) would be to extrapolate everything about how Iray works, how Daz Studio's shader nodes are set up, and how the two interact in every way this custom built shader does so, and then try to replicate it in the matching ways (if they exist, or create them, if they don't) of the new renderer. That's a lot of work for one small subset of shaders, especially since they work in a way that seems designed to only really function on this one product.

I do think it's an exceptionally cool product, for the record, but the odds of anyone actually tearing apart a custom shader built from the ground up for a different render engine just to try to then extrapolate out all of that information then brute force it in another would be uncommon if the rendering engine it was designed for wasn't free.

My primary intent was pointing out that it has almost nothing to do with Octane doing it wrong somehow, it's the rendering equivalent of trying to run Mac software on a Windows-only PC. You'd need something to emulate the Mac everything for it to even function, and the odds of it doing it 100% accurately are very, very low, and certainly not very quickly in comparison. As a more direct response to the posts before, though, I guess it's a more generalized way of explaining that scaling and all of that as Octane does such things is not even remotely related to how these shaders were designed to function. Octane isn't doing anything "wrong," nor is it something you can "correct" in any render engine not the one the shader was written to use. Technically, the issue is that this shader was written in one very specific language, not that nothing else understands that language. The creators were aiming for a very specific target market, and excluding all others, as is their right, however much I disagree with it.

Most would either look for or create an alternative product, but looking at how Octane's structure at least appears to work, I'm not positive it's designed to handle anything like that as-is in the first place (vertically context sensitive texture alteration as a whole, I mean). It would be neat if the functionality is there, of course, but I would think Otoy'd hype it up.
| Intel i7-5960x @ 3.8 GHz| ASUS X99-E WS | 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 2400 Ram | 4x EVGA GTX 980 Ti | Win10 Professional x64 | Watercooled
sikotik13
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Veneris » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:23 am

Veneris Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:23 am
sikotik13 wrote:Yes, it will hand over the information, however the issue is that it was written specifically for only how Iray reads that information, which is why the viewport (which runs off of either 3delight or plain ol' OpenGL, if I remember right) also shows pretty much what you'll get out of Octane. The only way to get it to look anything like it does in Iray in Octane (or any other rendering engine that isn't Iray) would be to extrapolate everything about how Iray works, how Daz Studio's shader nodes are set up, and how the two interact in every way this custom built shader does so, and then try to replicate it in the matching ways (if they exist, or create them, if they don't) of the new renderer. That's a lot of work for one small subset of shaders, especially since they work in a way that seems designed to only really function on this one product.

I do think it's an exceptionally cool product, for the record, but the odds of anyone actually tearing apart a custom shader built from the ground up for a different render engine just to try to then extrapolate out all of that information then brute force it in another would be uncommon if the rendering engine it was designed for wasn't free.

My primary intent was pointing out that it has almost nothing to do with Octane doing it wrong somehow, it's the rendering equivalent of trying to run Mac software on a Windows-only PC. You'd need something to emulate the Mac everything for it to even function, and the odds of it doing it 100% accurately are very, very low, and certainly not very quickly in comparison. As a more direct response to the posts before, though, I guess it's a more generalized way of explaining that scaling and all of that as Octane does such things is not even remotely related to how these shaders were designed to function. Octane isn't doing anything "wrong," nor is it something you can "correct" in any render engine not the one the shader was written to use. Technically, the issue is that this shader was written in one very specific language, not that nothing else understands that language. The creators were aiming for a very specific target market, and excluding all others, as is their right, however much I disagree with it.

Most would either look for or create an alternative product, but looking at how Octane's structure at least appears to work, I'm not positive it's designed to handle anything like that as-is in the first place (vertically context sensitive texture alteration as a whole, I mean). It would be neat if the functionality is there, of course, but I would think Otoy'd hype it up.

You are right, very good explanation.

What can we do to create environments that are good for Octane Render? What alternatives do we have?
Intel Core i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30Ghz (Quad Core), 12.0GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 620. Windows 7 (64 bits)
Veneris
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DrHemulen » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:21 pm

DrHemulen Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:21 pm
We need content creators to spend a lot of time building octane specific shaders for their products. Which is probably not realistic, as the potential market is very small. I think there has been some indicators in that direction, but after Iray hit, I don't think there's much hope for Octane support in the mainstream DAZ products :(
What we're left with at this stage are community efforts, but there's no reason somebody couldn't sell an Octane pack for a specific DAZ product, either at DAZ, Renderotcity or one of the other sites. Redspec is a good example that this is possible, but as mentioned, he market for specific products is much smaller.
GTX 780, 6 gigs of VRAM - Win 7 Home Premium 64 bits
DrHemulen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby valzheimer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:54 pm

valzheimer Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:54 pm
Just in case someone else comes across this thread searching for Terradome3 in Octane, it is well possible.
This mix is still a WIP, but so far I got it to behave pretty well on "snowy mountains" as well sand over other terrains using a mix material and a dirt texture.
Amount of dirt texture will behave the same as Blend in Colm and Traveler's Iray node.

Hope others find this helpful :)

node.png
snowTD3.png
valzheimer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to DAZ Studio