OctaneRender 3 for DAZ Studio [TEST and STABLE]

Forums: OctaneRender 3 for DAZ Studio [TEST and STABLE]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender 3 for DAZ Studio [TEST and STABLE]

Postby Isotemod » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:10 pm

Isotemod Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:10 pm
thricegift wrote:
itou31 wrote:Hi,
Just check this issue.
My latency is not slow as yours, showed in the video. not as fast as standalone but about less than one second at the first move and then it get faster. If I move slowly the daz viewport, the octane viewport refresh more smoothly (but still a delay as expected (100ms or 200ms).
Same behaviour with one or more GPU.
Bigger scene has more delay at the beginning (as said Paul) but then the refresh "seems good enough"

It seems that mouse movement affects the delay. Try continuing to orbit your mouse like I did in the video. Notice how the viewport does not update until you stop moving the mouse, after which the 100ms delay seems to initiate. Can you confirm this?

Something seems to be wrong, as this is not expected behavior on dual 1080 Ti's----especially not Octane. It should be buttery smooth like with Iray.

-P

In your video it looks as thou your reaching your maximum samples figure s/px (set at 500) at which point rendering will stop until your refresh the geometry or move the camera. Because your cards are rendering the scene very quickly literally 1 frame gets processed and then your done.

Please repeat with max samples set far higher.
Isotemod
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vortex3d » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:52 am

vortex3d Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:52 am
Isotemod wrote:
thricegift wrote:
itou31 wrote:Hi,
Just check this issue.
My latency is not slow as yours, showed in the video. not as fast as standalone but about less than one second at the first move and then it get faster. If I move slowly the daz viewport, the octane viewport refresh more smoothly (but still a delay as expected (100ms or 200ms).
Same behaviour with one or more GPU.
Bigger scene has more delay at the beginning (as said Paul) but then the refresh "seems good enough"

It seems that mouse movement affects the delay. Try continuing to orbit your mouse like I did in the video. Notice how the viewport does not update until you stop moving the mouse, after which the 100ms delay seems to initiate. Can you confirm this?

Something seems to be wrong, as this is not expected behavior on dual 1080 Ti's----especially not Octane. It should be buttery smooth like with Iray.

-P

In your video it looks as thou your reaching your maximum samples figure s/px (set at 500) at which point rendering will stop until your refresh the geometry or move the camera. Because your cards are rendering the scene very quickly literally 1 frame gets processed and then your done.

Please repeat with max samples set far higher.

Well, I can't reproduce it either. The video appears to show the plugin rendering on mouse-button release or view-port pause. I'm leaning towards system configuration or parasitic program running in the back. Tested with OCDS 3.7.0.37 on Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | GTX 660Ti (Viewport), GTX TITAN, 6GB GDDR5 | Intel Core i7 3970x, 3.5 GHz | ASUS P9X79WS | 64GB RAM | nVidia v387.92
Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | GTX 660Ti, GTX TITAN, 6GB GDDR5 | Intel Core i7 3970x, 3.5 GHz | ASUS P9X79WS | 64GB RAM
vortex3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:40 am

rajib Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:40 am
Hi Paul,

Can we get the 3.07 final and also the 3.08 TEST versions ?

Thanks,
Rajib
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:49 pm

face_off Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:49 pm
I have updated the TEST/STABLE installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled with Octane 3.07

The Subscription version of the above build should be available from the Subscription download area in the next few days.

I have not yet started on the 3.08 build.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rajib » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:48 am

rajib Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:48 am
face_off wrote:I have updated the TEST/STABLE installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled with Octane 3.07

The Subscription version of the above build should be available from the Subscription download area in the next few days.

I have no yet started on the 3.08 build.

Paul

Thanks Paul :). Just downloaded. About to try it out. Will wait for the 3.08 Test build.
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:49 am

rajib Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:49 am
Hi Paul,

I have 2 problems with "My Present" material preview. I am on 3.7.0.37.
1. Most of them are missing thumbnails and after I run "Render missing thumbnails", though it shows, once I close Daz Studio and reopen it, the thumbnails are missing again. I can't run it again and again every time I open Daz Studio as I have hundreds of preset and it takes a fair bit of time to generate them each time. Is there some issue like the thumbnails are being generated under user temp folder and are not copied back to the materials cache path set in octane and hence the next time they are missing again ?
2. A lot of the thumbnails previews are wrong. It is showing many duplicate thumbnails so it makes it very hard to figure out what material it actually is.

On a related matter, I have hundreds of high quality textures from Quixel Megascan (and still growing) and I want to automate the material creation. Each of the textures are in their own folder. All have the required maps and just need a standard "Glossy" material. I want to add them to the "My Preset" in Octane automatically via a program I will write. May I know what is the file format ? Is there a XML or JSON file that I can create and put in a certain folder for them to show up in the Materials->My Preset list ? Or even if the format is binary in nature, can you share it ? If successful, I will share this application with everyone here so that they can create Material presets in Octane with their own material source.

Regards,
Rajib
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:29 am

face_off Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:29 am
1. Most of them are missing thumbnails and after I run "Render missing thumbnails", though it shows, once I close Daz Studio and reopen it, the thumbnails are missing again. I can't run it again and again every time I open Daz Studio as I have hundreds of preset and it takes a fair bit of time to generate them each time. Is there some issue like the thumbnails are being generated under user temp folder and are not copied back to the materials cache path set in octane and hence the next time they are missing again ?
2. A lot of the thumbnails previews are wrong. It is showing many duplicate thumbnails so it makes it very hard to figure out what material it actually is.
I don't have an answer to these questions - sorry. Remind me again once the 3.08 version of the plugin is available and I will take a look.

On a related matter, I have hundreds of high quality textures from Quixel Megascan (and still growing) and I want to automate the material creation. Each of the textures are in their own folder. All have the required maps and just need a standard "Glossy" material. I want to add them to the "My Preset" in Octane automatically via a program I will write. May I know what is the file format ? Is there a XML or JSON file that I can create and put in a certain folder for them to show up in the Materials->My Preset list ? Or even if the format is binary in nature, can you share it ? If successful, I will share this application with everyone here so that they can create Material presets in Octane with their own material source.
The oczdb files that contain the presets are Sqlite databases, which you can open with any sqlite browser.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rajib » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:35 pm

rajib Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:35 pm
face_off wrote:I don't have an answer to these questions - sorry. Remind me again once the 3.08 version of the plugin is available and I will take a look.

No worries, will remind you once the 3.08 comes out.

face_off wrote:The oczdb files that contain the presets are Sqlite databases, which you can open with any sqlite browser.
Paul

Thanks for that. I use sqlite in my own projects. Will explore.
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:05 am

rajib Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:05 am
rajib wrote:
face_off wrote:I don't have an answer to these questions - sorry. Remind me again once the 3.08 version of the plugin is available and I will take a look.

No worries, will remind you once the 3.08 comes out.

face_off wrote:The oczdb files that contain the presets are Sqlite databases, which you can open with any sqlite browser.
Paul

Thanks for that. I use sqlite in my own projects. Will explore.

Hi Paul,

I think I have figured it out why after the Render missing thumbnails is clicked, though the thumbnails show in that session, why they go missing after Daz Studio is closed and opened again. Within the same session I think it is using memory references to show the thumbnail and though the thumbnail files are being generated, no "insert / update" is done to the OctaneRender_presets.oczdb with the newly generated files with the Key set to indicate "Preview" image entry in the Data table.

I had deleted all the "Preview" entries from the preset database and after I clicked the Render missing thumbnails and the files got generated, I check the database again and found it still did not have any "Preview" entries. Which means when we do a "Copy to My Presets", it does insert the record for the preview but not when the thumbnails are generated using the Render missing thumbnails. I think the easy fix will be to add the insert / replace command after the preview thumbnail image file is saved on the disk.

You may have to check if the preview record exists. And if it does do a update otherwise do a insert.
Or an easier step might be delete the record for that ID and key="200" and then insert the preview record. That way you do not need to check if the preview record exists or not.

I am not sure how the plugin checks for the missing thumbnail. Whether the "Preview" entry is missing in the database or if the physical thumbnail file is missing. I think a robust check would be to check for both, if either is missing, generate the thumbnail and insert/update the database preview entry.

One other thing I noted when you click the Render missing thumbnails, the plugin seems to be generating all the thumbnails in memory at one go (without writing a single thumbnail file to the disk) and on my system it used up around 99GB of memory (I have 128GB RAM). And then I saw the orange bar appear at the bottom of the Octane Pane and the files started to being written to the disk. I think this should be changed so that the thumbnail is written to the disk as soon as it it generated (and the preview record inserted into the preview database) and then the memory cleared and a new memory allocated for the next thumbnail and the loop continues. That way it will not use up a lot of RAM. On system with a lot less memory, there is be huge amount of disk I/O as the memory gets paged and it will be extremely slow using the current method. Maybe with few present, it does not matter much but when one has fairly large number of custom textures and preset entries, it becomes extremely slow process to regenerate the thumbnails.

I hope this helps you in some way. Btw. I can confirm some of the entries are being wrongly generated - does not contain the actual texture image. Even after deleting the MaterialPreview cache and then all the "Preview" entries in the database and regenerating everything via the Render missing thumbnails, I still saw many duplicate thumbnails. This should not be happening as all the textures are unique.

Cheers,
Rajib
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby enko » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:52 pm

enko Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:52 pm
Is 3.08 coming with Toon shader? Cannot wait. Its magic.
Currently passing through C4D to get it working, but direct drom Daz will be amazing.
Attachments
VOX_Concept.png
enko
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio