OctaneRender 3 for DAZ Studio [TEST and STABLE]

Forums: OctaneRender 3 for DAZ Studio [TEST and STABLE]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender 3 for DAZ Studio [TEST and STABLE]

Postby thricegift » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:59 am

thricegift Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:59 am
Paul,
The delay is about a second or so, as you said. But note, no other GPU render engine I use has this delay in the viewport (including Iray and the standalone Octane); they all update instantaneously on my dual 1080 Ti's. It is only the Octane plugin that has this delay, which seems to suggest that there is a communication bottlenck between DS and Octane.

If you want, I can do a screen capture for you and post the recording comparing the two. It is enough of a delay to discourage one from using Octane, as live feedback is important to workflow (and Octane has long been known to deliver live feedback in the viewport... so I don't know how this can be described as normal). For the amount of money one pays to obtain this plugin, I don't think this should be happening.

Thanks again for all your hard work,

-P
thricegift
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vortex3d » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:59 pm

vortex3d Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:59 pm
face_off wrote:This is a general Octane question - so you might get a more accurate answer in the Octane Standalone release forum. However my understanding is that the transmission will remove the color you define, so the resulting light emitted form the other side of the surface wilwl be the opposite color. You might be better using a Specular material with a Scatter node, which will give more control over how light is dispersed whilst it travels through a body.

Paul

I will play with the Specular material's Scatter node. As always great work on the plugin, and thank you for the prompt reply.
Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | GTX 660Ti, GTX TITAN, 6GB GDDR5 | Intel Core i7 3970x, 3.5 GHz | ASUS P9X79WS | 64GB RAM
vortex3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:44 am

face_off Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:44 am
The delay is about a second or so, as you said. But note, no other GPU render engine I use has this delay in the viewport (including Iray and the standalone Octane); they all update instantaneously on my dual 1080 Ti's. It is only the Octane plugin that has this delay, which seems to suggest that there is a communication bottlenck between DS and Octane.

If you want, I can do a screen capture for you and post the recording comparing the two. It is enough of a delay to discourage one from using Octane, as live feedback is important to workflow (and Octane has long been known to deliver live feedback in the viewport... so I don't know how this can be described as normal). For the amount of money one pays to obtain this plugin, I don't think this should be happening.
A one second delay is to be expected for some operations, since the plugin may need to be re-loading a Genesis mesh into your graphics card.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby thricegift » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:37 pm

thricegift Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:37 pm
face_off wrote:A one second delay is to be expected for some operations, since the plugin may need to be re-loading a Genesis mesh into your graphics card.

Paul

Perhaps I was not clear. I am referring to simple viewport operations, like Pan, Zoom, Orbit, etc. I assume this does not require re-load of geometry, since the geometry did not move. Octane Standalone does not have a 1 second delay, nor does Iray. So I assume they do not have to re-load meshes into the GPU memory for simple viewport operations like this. Could not OcDS also be programmed to do the same? Or perhaps this is a limitation of being a plugin (i.e., more steps to calculate)?

I should note, one of the reasons why I bought Octane in the first place was because of its long-time reputation of fast viewport feedback. This has always been one of the hallmark features of Octane---something that made it stand out from other GPU render engines through the years. It therefore seems very important that the plugin performs the same way.

-P
thricegift
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:43 am

face_off Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:43 am
Perhaps I was not clear. I am referring to simple viewport operations, like Pan, Zoom, Orbit, etc. I assume this does not require re-load of geometry, since the geometry did not move. Octane Standalone does not have a 1 second delay, nor does Iray. So I assume they do not have to re-load meshes into the GPU memory for simple viewport operations like this. Could not OcDS also be programmed to do the same? Or perhaps this is a limitation of being a plugin (i.e., more steps to calculate)?
I can see NO delay when rotating, panning or zooming the camera, EXCEPT when the DAZStudio viewport is rendering via Iray - which is to be expected.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby thricegift » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:49 pm

thricegift Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:49 pm
face_off wrote:I can see NO delay when rotating, panning or zooming the camera, EXCEPT when the DAZStudio viewport is rendering via Iray - which is to be expected.

Paul

Hmmm... I wonder if I am the only one experiencing this latency. Even with a blank scene with no objects in the scene, there is a slight delay between camera movement and OcDS viewport feedback (thus preventing OcDS from being realtime). With a large scene, this delay is exacerbated.

In the version of OcDS I have, there is an option for "Plugin Latency."---the smallest value available is 100ms. I wonder if this is causing the delay I am experiencing.
Can this value not be set to 0?

-P
thricegift
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thricegift » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:32 pm

thricegift Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:32 pm
Paul,
I made a quick video to demonstrate the latency I am referring to. Hopefully this clarifies what I wrote above. Thanks again for looking into this.

https://youtu.be/R34B0gWF-qU
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] 2017-10-19 10-24-06.mp4 [ 15.2 MiB | Viewed 7801 times ]

thricegift
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itou31 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:00 pm

itou31 Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:00 pm
Hi,
Just check this issue.
My latency is not slow as yours, showed in the video. not as fast as standalone but about less than one second at the first move and then it get faster. If I move slowly the daz viewport, the octane viewport refresh more smoothly (but still a delay as expected (100ms or 200ms).
Same behaviour with one or more GPU.
Bigger scene has more delay at the beginning (as said Paul) but then the refresh "seems good enough"
I7-3930K 64Go RAM Win8.1pro , main 3 titans + 780Ti
Xeon 2696V3 64Go RAM Win8.1/win10/win7, 2x 1080Ti + 3x 980Ti + 2x Titan Black
itou31
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thricegift » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:32 pm

thricegift Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:32 pm
itou31 wrote:Hi,
Just check this issue.
My latency is not slow as yours, showed in the video. not as fast as standalone but about less than one second at the first move and then it get faster. If I move slowly the daz viewport, the octane viewport refresh more smoothly (but still a delay as expected (100ms or 200ms).
Same behaviour with one or more GPU.
Bigger scene has more delay at the beginning (as said Paul) but then the refresh "seems good enough"

It seems that mouse movement affects the delay. Try continuing to orbit your mouse like I did in the video. Notice how the viewport does not update until you stop moving the mouse, after which the 100ms delay seems to initiate. Can you confirm this?

Something seems to be wrong, as this is not expected behavior on dual 1080 Ti's----especially not Octane. It should be buttery smooth like with Iray.

-P
Last edited by thricegift on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
thricegift
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:30 am

face_off Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:30 am
Something seems to be wrong, as this is not expected behavior on dual 1080 Ti's
I cannot reproduce the problem you are having. If the camera is not immediately updating, it is because DAZStudio is not immediately sending camera update events to the Octane plugin. Sorry I cannot offer a better explanation. Pls keep in mind that the host app is free, so will not be as refined as more expensive higher-end 3d apps.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio