Daz 4.9 and Encryped Content

Forums: Daz 4.9 and Encryped Content
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: Daz 4.9 and Encryped Content

Postby Hydra » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:17 pm

Hydra Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:17 pm
Livanchene: Thanks for telling me how it works.

But telling me to read an FAQ isn't helpful. It didn't explain anything. You did.

The fact is that the new content system doesn't work for me. Its telling me that I need to use another new way of accessing my content.

Its clear that Daz wants me to become a database administrator. (Why?)

Its clear that Daz wants me to use a new work flow. (Why?)

Its also impossible to play with or use that database in the future. I look at my database now... over 2000 products, all modified sorted and installed. With Daz Secure Connect that process must be redone as soon as I change something on my PC.

My 1 TB SSD hard drive is getting full, I may move my database to one of my spare 3TB WD Red Hard drives, or even put it on my network drive. With Daz Secure Connect... you're pooched. Reinstall, reconfigure each product for the new install with its Smart Content database. Moving my database is pretty much impossible in the future.

Furthermore... Daz is lazy. Very lazy. This is a simple problem for them to solve, only they choose not to. Put all the product DUFs in the SKU directory, and simply reference them from the regular directories. In operating systems this is called a 'link'. Daz intentionally chooses to screw me over. I have to do it their way. This is crazy. (Maybe I can do that manually... 'cause creating up to 40 links for some products will really may my life easier.)

In no way am I unhappy with encrypted content. I'm OK with that.
-----------------
Intel i7-4790K, Asus Z97-A, Corsair 32GB DDR3 1866MHz CL9, 2XAsus STRIX GTX980 DirectCU II OC 4GB, 4XSamsung 840 EVO Raid 10, Win 7 x64 Pro.
Hydra
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linvanchene » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:39 pm

linvanchene Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:39 pm
Update / Edit 2:
I removed some of the information provided before (again) because it just seems to add to the confusion instead of resolving it.
Please check the DAZ3D forums, read all the information in the official available guides first.

I leave you with the links to further information:
- - -

Official DAZ Connect - FAQ

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/ ... ect-faq/p1

- - -

DAZ Studio Pro - FAQ

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/ ... io-pro-faq

- - -

Information about setting up your folder and runtime location

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/ ... figuration

- - -

Information about organizing your content inside DAZ3D by adding it to products and creating categories:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/s ... data/start

- - -

Some examples how you can search, install and update your content in DAZ Studio 4.9 with Categories and Filters

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/ ... 4-9#latest

- - -

Those users who follow the instructions by DAZ3D and use the officially recommended installation paths should not have any noticeable issues upgrading to DAZ Studio 4.9.

IF you did set up some custom paths and custom runtimes make sure you double check to use the proper settings.

I can just confirm that I am perfectly happy with the new features of DAZ Studio 4.9.

What I cannot solve for you is the work, time and energy needed to get familiar with it all.
Last edited by linvanchene on Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Win 10 Pro 64bit | Rendering: 2 x ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO | Asus RTX NVLink Bridge 4-Slot | Intel Core i7 5820K | ASUS X99-E WS| 64 GB RAM
FAQ: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - FAQ link collection
linvanchene
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hydra » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:12 pm

Hydra Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:12 pm
Well... thanks for your efforts... I'll likely update to 4.9 based on how you said it worked with Octane.

Secure Content is a solution in search of a problem. When it comes to files, I'm more concerned about the long term picture. A total reinstall if I update my PC, would leave me pretty unhappy. But that's the new procedure. Multiply that by 1000 products and its a total mess. But that's the new procedure.

Daz told me to delete CMS. I don't know what it is, and they had no manual. I don't use it. If they changed their mind, I didn't get the memo. You should see how angry the people with corrupted databases are though. Bobvan lost all his sorting and categories. It was wiped clean by 4.9. Can CMS auto scan my library and generate usable info? I could consider using it if they did that.

Anyways, for me, sorting is already done. Here's plants in 3-4 clicks;
Attachments
Plants.jpg
-----------------
Intel i7-4790K, Asus Z97-A, Corsair 32GB DDR3 1866MHz CL9, 2XAsus STRIX GTX980 DirectCU II OC 4GB, 4XSamsung 840 EVO Raid 10, Win 7 x64 Pro.
Hydra
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linvanchene » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:16 pm

linvanchene Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:16 pm
Update / Edit 2:
Removed some more obsolete information...

- - -

Hydra wrote: Daz told me to delete CMS. I don't know what it is, and they had no manual. I don't use it. If they changed their mind, I didn't get the memo. You should see how angry the people with corrupted databases are though. Bobvan lost all his sorting and categories. It was wiped clean by 4.9. Can CMS auto scan my library and generate usable info? I could consider using it if they did that.

The CMS is the Content Management System.

In 2011 the Valentina system was used. Then with DAZ Studio 4.6 the CMS was updated to Postgre SQL.
When first installing DAZ Studio 4.6 it was recommended in the official Release thread to convert the valentina CMS to the Postgre CMS by downloading and using the converter file.

You can find more information in the official

Daz Studio Pro - FAQ

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/ ... ent_990672

Hydra wrote: You should see how angry the people with corrupted databases are though. Bobvan lost all his sorting and categories. It was wiped clean by 4.9.

DAZ Staff wrote they are currently trying to figure out when and why people are experiencing issues with the database.

But that is the reason why DAZ recommended to make a backup of the CMS database BEFORE upgrading to 4.9 in very big and bold letters in all the beta threads and the release thread.

- - -

Update / Edit:

I provided the information above for those users who are interested in trying out DAZ Studio 4.9.
It seems I confused a statement with a question and ended up trying to explain things that were not really asked... but now at least those who are looking for more information should now have the links to get started....
Last edited by linvanchene on Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Win 10 Pro 64bit | Rendering: 2 x ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO | Asus RTX NVLink Bridge 4-Slot | Intel Core i7 5820K | ASUS X99-E WS| 64 GB RAM
FAQ: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - FAQ link collection
linvanchene
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hydra » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:02 am

Hydra Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:02 am
Linvanchene: I'm not at all sure why you're telling me about stuff. As you said, this isn't the place.

I'd been instructed by Daz not to use CMS. I really have no idea what it is or where its info is. The time to cross that bridge was years ago. "Stop using directories." Would have been clear and explicit. Even better yet, blocking access to the Daz directories would have been far more instructive.

As it is now, I must add a 3rd method of content access and use 3 incompatible searches to find things. I'm not seeing the advantages here.

Daz has done a crappy job of it too. All this was easily solved without the database. Add tags to files, scan the files.. Surprise it works! Problem solved!

This isn't rocket science. There's no need to alter people's work flows. Its an intentional choice by Daz being rammed down our throat at the last minute. Its a poor answer by anyone to say, "You don't always have to use it."

I'm OK if this work flow is good for you though. This is my problem.
-----------------
Hydra
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Spectralis » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:03 pm

Spectralis Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:03 pm
I gather, after reading the large amount of information concerning Connect, that it's possible to maintain our current content folder while also installing encrypted content to this new "Cloud" folder.

I'm trying to think of any other software company I know and use that has in the past couple of years changed it's method of content distribution, installation and organisation three times but there aren't any and it's doesn't take Einstein to work out why. In this world of double speak where "liberation" and "civilization" came in the form of bombs it doesn't surprise me that there are those trying to spin encryption as an advantageous new feature. Look over there, not over here! Forget the innumerable requests for better animation, clothing and hair features like the ability to string some walking aniblocks together and remain certain that the figures feet will still meet the ground or the possibility of clothing and hair moving naturally with the figure - forget all that - what we really need is a third content delivery system that's encrypted.

The hope that Carrara might one day offer an animation alternative to DS or that there might one day be the possibility of a pipeline to Lightwave or some other more advanced animation option has just been dealt a further blow as the walled garden of encryption closes in. Forgive the extreme cynicism but when someone takes me for a fool with doublespeak about the alleged advantage of all this it really annoys me. PC+ was just about all the spin I could stomach and now encryption - where will it end?
ASUS Maximus VI Extreme, i7 3770k, 32GB RAM, 4 x GTX760 4GB, Win 8.1 x64.
Spectralis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DrHemulen » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:35 pm

DrHemulen Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:35 pm
Try googeling "victoria 7 torrent". It's pretty obvious why they want to add some kind of protection to their content. Encrypting the .dufs and scripts actually seems like a fair soloution to this problem, as we can still mess around with textures and such.
My fear here is that this is a move towards excluding 3rd party providers (renderocity and so on) down the road.
GTX 780, 6 gigs of VRAM - Win 7 Home Premium 64 bits
DrHemulen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Spectralis » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:51 pm

Spectralis Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:51 pm
I doubt it'll protect DAZ content because the whole point for pirates seems to be the challenge of cracking these systems rather than the distribution of content. Watermarking would discourage the casual sharer but encryption systems seem to attract teams who aggressively and relentlessly try to thwart them. My concern is that I've bought so much content from DAZ that I'm now dependent on that system. I'm not locked into Adobe, Sony, FXHome, Newtek and various other applications in the same way and that really concerns me. If Sony stops developing Vegas Pro I can move over to another NLE along with all my video and audio content. I had hoped that as more integration developed between 3D applications the same might have occurred with DAZ developing pipelines to other software but now the opposite seems the case. It's not just the copy protection that's at issue here but the closed system that it creates.
ASUS Maximus VI Extreme, i7 3770k, 32GB RAM, 4 x GTX760 4GB, Win 8.1 x64.
Spectralis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:46 am

Sorel Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:46 am
All DAZ content, even encrypted can still be used in other programs if that is what you're worried about.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hydra » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:07 am

Hydra Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:07 am
Sorel wrote:All DAZ content, even encrypted can still be used in other programs if that is what you're worried about.
I'm only concerned about rearranging my directory structures for installs. I don't need yet another install method, and location, and database to search for content. (What monkey thinks 3 databases is better than 2, or even 1?)

As for crypto, we were told by daz this was never doing to happen when they rolled out 4.5. It was a big part of the fear the Poser crowd had with the new proprietary formats daz was rolling out, so we were reassured that Daz would always keep things open.

I doubt it'll make any difference in the purchasing patterns people have for Daz products or the profitability of the market. Richard Hastline did say that there were pay sites selling their materials, and I have to say that I think that would be disconcerting to see. I really wouldn't know what to do about it.
-----------------
Hydra
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio