Daz 4.9 and Encryped Content

Forums: Daz 4.9 and Encryped Content
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: Daz 4.9 and Encryped Content

Postby Spectralis » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:17 am

Spectralis Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:17 am
Sorel wrote:All DAZ content, even encrypted can still be used in other programs if that is what you're worried about.

The figures can be exported as FXB but then a lot of the original versatility is lost. I was hoping that there would be better integration between different and more advanced software in the future. One of the reasons I dislike iClone and VUE is because content can't be used in other software unless a higher fee is paid for this option. If DS didn't have its limitations such as lack of versatility when it comes to animation then this wouldn't be a problem but these significant short comings could have been addressed before introducing encryption and a third database system.
ASUS Maximus VI Extreme, i7 3770k, 32GB RAM, 4 x GTX760 4GB, Win 8.1 x64.
Spectralis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby larsmidnatt » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:00 pm

larsmidnatt Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:00 pm
Hydra wrote:I doubt it'll make any difference in the purchasing patterns people have for Daz products or the profitability of the market. Richard Hastline did say that there were pay sites selling their materials, and I have to say that I think that would be disconcerting to see. I really wouldn't know what to do about it.

Pretty sure those sites won't go anywhere because of this. Just means they will recycle old content (sound familiar) and rip even more off the unprotected sites. Still not going to directly amount to more profits in my eyes.

Daz is trying to control too much. I could see encryption but changing how content is stored, browsed and all that is way too much all at once. I'm still avoiding 4.9. Will wait it out as long as possible. Things work right now, don't want to break anything.

I completely agree with Spectralis about their focus. They are currently promoting Animate and it's sister plugins like they are something new or hot. Guy on youtube was asking for some enhanced functionality to help animation work and I couldn't help but to think, "yeah right".
Win10 x64
i9 10900k 64GB
2080S 8GB
DS 4.15 OcDS Prime ^_^
larsmidnatt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:41 am

Notiusweb Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:41 am
Oh man, I loved reading this thread! It's all linked to the plugin so why not...

LOL...When I saw the FAQ I was like, "WTFuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....uh.....no...." And then they changed it somewhat to appease the manual install crowd, and made it into a nice big confusing mess.
For me, I stopped using SMART content once I learned using collision iterations for products on non-conforming characters. Now my categories are CRUCIAL to my workflow.
G3 on small body.png
G3 stuff on non-conforming model
Aka "DUMB Content" ("Data Using My Brain - Content")

Linvanchene, one video by DAZ said that IRAY and 3Delight are faster on 4.9. Do you find this to be true, or just hogwash?
Hogwash.png
Ribbit!
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linvanchene » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:36 pm

linvanchene Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:36 pm
Disclaimer:
The following post has no information that is crucial to the OcDS development.
The main reason of posting this is to address the concerns of Notiusweb.
I answer this publicly so no one can say that I ignored his question.

Notiusweb wrote:Oh man, I loved reading this thread! It's all linked to the plugin so why not...

:lol: :ugeek: :mrgreen:

Notiusweb wrote:
Linvanchene, one video by DAZ said that IRAY and 3Delight are faster on 4.9. Do you find this to be true, or just hogwash?

- I have not run any tests with 3Delight since 2013.
- I did make some tests with Iray with 4.8 and 4.9 but did not compare the speed between builds.

[hogwash]

- I am under the impression that there seems to be continued improvement from one DS Iray build to the next. Therefore one could assume that it is very likely that Iray is getting faster with each build instead of slower.

- On scenes with just one human figure Iray speed seems similar to OctaneRender.
Nevertheless it seems the more complex scenes are with high geometry count, light emitters. volumes etc the better OctaneRender seems to handle them in comparison.

- I will reassess the situation after the GPU Technology Conference, April 4-7, 2016

http://www.gputechconf.com/

My speculation is that

- one company will make big announcements and share inspiring plans what they intend to achieve during the following year
- the other company may share what they have been working on silently and is ready for use shortly after GTC

-someone may show some charts to illustrate how render speed has improved from one build to the next during a GTC presentation

Nevertheless I do currently not have any information if there will be an announcement about encrypted content at the GTC.

[/hogwash]
Win 10 Pro 64bit | Rendering: 2 x ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO | Asus RTX NVLink Bridge 4-Slot | Intel Core i7 5820K | ASUS X99-E WS| 64 GB RAM
FAQ: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - FAQ link collection
linvanchene
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:28 pm

Notiusweb Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:28 pm
[hogwash].....[/hogwash]

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Awesome, and thanks for answering my question!
PS - good job 'defending' the plugin recently ;)
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gaazsi » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:23 pm

gaazsi Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:23 pm
played around a bit with iray the last days... seems pretty simple compared to octane, havent found any kind of rendertime calculation and no option for network rendering :?
gaazsi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linvanchene » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:03 pm

linvanchene Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:03 pm
gaazsi wrote:played around a bit with iray the last days... seems pretty simple compared to octane, havent found any kind of rendertime calculation and no option for network rendering :?

I also have not found a way to tell render times in the "viewport" preview mode.

Nevertheless when you click the "Render" button in the Render Settings tab
- the render window opens
- hidden behind the render window you can find a progress bar that shows some limited information like elapsed time and iterations performed
- you can move around the progress bar to another position so you can view it together with the render window

You can use that information to get some basic test values to compare how many samples or iterations have been performed after a fixed time.

- - -
When you look at all those details that are currently missing in the DS Iray integration you start to really appreciate all the work that was done in OcDS to add so much valuable diagnostic tools like progress bar information in the viewport, VRAM info with colored bars for different type of assets in the memory etc...
Last edited by linvanchene on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 Pro 64bit | Rendering: 2 x ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO | Asus RTX NVLink Bridge 4-Slot | Intel Core i7 5820K | ASUS X99-E WS| 64 GB RAM
FAQ: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - FAQ link collection
linvanchene
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Spectralis » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:05 pm

Spectralis Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:05 pm
The most frustrating thing about IRAY is the slowness of the viewport update. On my system the viewport goes black until it updates and I find it impossible to work on scenes with it on. I don't have this problem with OcDS unless I have a really big scene and even then the viewport updates quicker than IRAY does on smaller scenes. If DAZ fixes this then I might give IRAY another try. I particularly like the way lighting and cameras are integrated into IRAY but OcDS seems to render more realistically in my experience.
ASUS Maximus VI Extreme, i7 3770k, 32GB RAM, 4 x GTX760 4GB, Win 8.1 x64.
Spectralis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hydra » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:57 am

Hydra Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:57 am
My favorite thing about OcDS is the node graph editor. Its great for experimenting.

My most annoying feature is the location for the database. Sometimes I click on stuff and the menu unwinds, and its takes a few moments to figure out what happened.

linvanchene: Don't stress. We'd be no where without you. Your posts are always insightful, helpful and clear. That's not hogwash.

Much of this stuff is not in the realm of fact, but in the realm of preference. That means you can't win. :( Relatively poor communication from Daz just makes it worse.

Notiusweb: The current solution Daz is offering is to drag and drop objects from Smart Content into the Content Library Pane. That will create daz link files in the Content Directory, which you can then rearrange to your heart's desire. So.. its officially possible, but in many cases its a boat load of work.
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/ ... content/p1

You'll also likely want to experiment with this to get it right. You can't use a test database, you have to manually f*ck around in your master database, which in 5 years Daz hopes will have 2000 more products lying around for you to break. (Its nothing a 4 hour backup done right before you install every single product won't cure.)

I'm pretty annoyed that Daz doesn't want to ship content with directory stuff included. If they did that, this would be largely invisible to me. The way its being locked down seems needlessly stupid to me.
-----------------
Intel i7-4790K, Asus Z97-A, Corsair 32GB DDR3 1866MHz CL9, 2XAsus STRIX GTX980 DirectCU II OC 4GB, 4XSamsung 840 EVO Raid 10, Win 7 x64 Pro.
Hydra
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:30 am

Notiusweb Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:30 am
Encryped Content
...in many cases its a boat load of work.

+

Postby larsmidnatt » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:32 pm
not moving to 4.9 till i am forced to for octane probably.

Uggg, exactly. I'm not looking forward to it :(

I'm pretty annoyed that Daz doesn't want to ship content with directory stuff included. If they did that, this would be largely invisible to me. The way its being locked down seems needlessly stupid to me.

I don't understand it either. Maybe it's just something behind the scenes that causes them internally a problem? Like, their coders can't find a way to make it work, so they go in a different direction or something. I mean the 'old way' is tedious, but could be so much better and easier, like you say

Post by gaazsi » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:23 pm
played around a bit with iray the last days... seems pretty simple compared to octane, havent found any kind of rendertime calculation and no option for network rendering :?

I know!...imagine they had an Iray-Bench :P What would that look like....with CPU comparisons and GPU comparisons...

Postby Spectralis » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:05 pm
The most frustrating thing about IRAY is the slowness of the viewport update. On my system the viewport goes black until it updates and I find it impossible to work on scenes with it on. I don't have this problem with OcDS unless I have a really big scene and even then the viewport updates quicker than IRAY does on smaller scenes. If DAZ fixes this then I might give IRAY another try. I particularly like the way lighting and cameras are integrated into IRAY but OcDS seems to render more realistically in my experience.

Yep. And now that OcDS has Face-off, medium support, and can be exported to the standalone which has full VDB support, it's hard to be too excited about Iray's ability to make things look pretty fast. I guess if you were just starting out with Daz on its own, you have to imagine you'd feel you are getting everything you need. I've taken a second look at Carrara too, it has a lot of included content. Daz truly has, to me, the best and most interesting content. iClone has a lot too, but not really on the character level like Daz...and Indigo Render is slow as it can only can run 1 GPU core, so you can really only get a 3Delightish quality for animations on a fast pace.
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio